BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Test drove an Audi e-tron

01-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
boX5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 M Sport, Mineral White

Test drove an Audi e-tron

I test drove Audi e-tron last week. It was my first time driving an all electric vehicle.

The initial take off was not what I expected at all. There seemed to be a quarter second delay every time I stepped on the gas from standing. The overall acceleration is alright but not as good as so many gas powered cars in the market. Even my 2007 E550 was much better. It feels about the same as E350 I have currently.

The second major issue is the autonomous driving. The sales guy insisted I try this feature. He turned it on for me, and it worked ok, following through the lane on a normal street. When the car was nearing a construction area where a concrete barrier was placed to create a slight detour, I was getting ready to take over. The car never gave me a warning, and it was heading straight into the barrier at about 45mph. I had to turn the steering myself, otherwise it would have hit it causing pretty serious accident. Audi should have never put this feature in the car. With the terrible driving range and the MSRP of over $80k, it really makes no sense.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Why would you use a system like that in a construction area anyway?
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614882.00
WolfGTI688.50
      01-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
I used autopilot on a Tesla 3 and was very impressed with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
AZ1
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hopefully it has sensors for walls? And collisions...
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I completely agree with your final sentence. For an electric vehicle, it is very expensive and has abysmal range. I know that it has a nicer interior than any Tesla, but honestly Audi needs to try harder with their EV's. Hopefully the E-Tron GT will be much better.
      01-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #7
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Why would you use one of these systems anywhere. If you don't want to drive take an Uber or a bus. The tech is decades away from reliable and safe use. There is so much that can go wrong, frankly I'd much rather trust myself than the computer, and if it's stymied by some construction is it really ready for prime time?
Appreciate 3
P111541.50
chenry2346.00
Viffermike1753.00
      01-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I completely agree with your final sentence. For an electric vehicle, it is very expensive and has abysmal range. I know that it has a nicer interior than any Tesla, but honestly Audi needs to try harder with their EV's. Hopefully the E-Tron GT will be much better.
eTron GT will likely just be the lower trim of the Taycan. So range won't be any more competitive.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      01-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #9
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Why would you use one of these systems anywhere. If you don't want to drive take an Uber or a bus. The tech is decades away from reliable and safe use. There is so much that can go wrong, frankly I'd much rather trust myself than the computer, and if it's stymied by some construction is it really ready for prime time?
Depends...I drove couple times from LA to Vegas and a Autopilot would be great on a empty interstate like that.

It's just a System which should help you but not taking over you. I think we all know it would not work great in a big busy City like NY for example. I'm even more surprised why people would use it in a construction area.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #10
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Depends...I drove couple times from LA to Vegas and a Autopilot would be great on a empty interstate like that.

It's just a System which should help you but not taking over you. I think we all know it would not work great in a big busy City like NY for example. I'm even more surprised why people would use it in a construction area.
So given how stupid people are can you really trust this technology in the hands of the masses to use it wisely? There was a guy caught sleeping in the drivers seat going down one of the busiest highways in North America not long ago. NO thanks, I don't want it and I don't want it being used around me.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
Viffermike1753.00
      01-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #11
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Have you tried it? There is no way you would think it's decades away if you have tried it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #12
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Have you tried it? There is no way you would think it's decades away if you have tried it.
No interest in it, my wife works in the ministry that is responsible for the highways and transportation, the hurdles before it will be allowed in widespread use will make it so it's not usable for at least a decade likely longer.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:31 PM   #13
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No interest in it, my wife works in the ministry that is responsible for the highways and transportation, the hurdles before it will be allowed in widespread use will make it so it's not usable for at least a decade likely longer.
I am confused, it's already allowed in widespread use. There are thousands of teslas, volvos, etc... On the road with it in them.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:35 PM   #14
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am confused, it's already allowed in widespread use. There are thousands of teslas, volvos, etc... On the road with it in them.
Driverless cars are now allowed on Ontario roads. ... it was also announced that members of the public will be able to drive “Level 3” conditionally automated vehicles, which manage most safety-critical driving functions but the driver must be ready to take control of the vehicle at all times, and I wouldn't say they are "widespread".
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:45 PM   #15
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Driverless cars are now allowed on Ontario roads. ... it was also announced that members of the public will be able to drive “Level 3” conditionally automated vehicles, which manage most safety-critical driving functions but the driver must be ready to take control of the vehicle at all times, and I wouldn't say they are "widespread".
Yes, but you said allowed in widespread use, if Tesla was able to sell 50 million cars, then there would be 50 million cars with Autopilot on the road.

Autopilot has it's rules and conditions, if people don't follow them, that puts them and others at risk. But you can say that about driving in general.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #16
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but you said allowed in widespread use, if Tesla was able to sell 50 million cars, then there would be 50 million cars with Autopilot on the road.

Autopilot has it's rules and conditions, if people don't follow them, that puts them and others at risk. But you can say that about driving in general.
So from what I'm reading is that only 29 states allow it and Ontario is the only province in Canada that allows it. Given that the number of vehicles equipped with the tech is limited I'd say the use isn't widespread at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #17
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

My father bought 1 of these a few months ago and I drove it around over Christmas. The car is pretty nice, but honestly a perfect example of everything wrong with the direction Audi, Benz and BMW are going with their electric cars. BMW is a little better with their i series cars, but otherwise, this car is s perfect example of why trying to fit an electric power train into a modular frame is not going to compete with ground up electric cars. The range is not comparable to Tesla, the speed is not comparable to Tesla (or ICE cars in the same general price range). It's too heavy and too compromised to compete with cars engineered to be electric only. The interior is at least generally up to snuff with luxury standards (unlike Tesla), although there were a few too many soft touch areas that were vinyl instead of leather for my taste considering the price (almost $90k for a prestige trim)
Appreciate 1
Rus.K54.50
      01-17-2020, 10:12 PM   #18
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So from what I'm reading is that only 29 states allow it and Ontario is the only province in Canada that allows it. Given that the number of vehicles equipped with the tech is limited I'd say the use isn't widespread at all.
That is level 3, Autopilot is level 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #19
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
So given how stupid people are can you really trust this technology in the hands of the masses to use it wisely? There was a guy caught sleeping in the drivers seat going down one of the busiest highways in North America not long ago. NO thanks, I don't want it and I don't want it being used around me.
Not saying it’s a good idea, but the fact that the sleeping (or shaving, reading, etc...) guys typically arrive in one piece wherever they’re going is a pretty good endorsement of the capabilities today, no? I honestly don’t know which scares me more — the guy sleeping with autopilot or the guy texting/speeding/DUI without autopilot
      01-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #20
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Not saying it’s a good idea, but the fact that the sleeping (or shaving, reading, etc...) guys typically arrive in one piece wherever they’re going is a pretty good endorsement of the capabilities today, no? I honestly don’t know which scares me more — the guy sleeping with autopilot or the guy texting/speeding/DUI without autopilot
the auto pilot all day long.....I'm looking out my window right now and it's snowing, the roads are covered......how's the autopilot going to manage to stay in a lane?

The point I'm making is that the tech isn't there yet, and frankly until every car on the road is equipped with the tech I don't trust it. And I suspect as we see it getting used more we will see many more mishaps, and then who's to blame, the guy sleeping behind the wheel or the computer?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #21
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
the auto pilot all day long.....I'm looking out my window right now and it's snowing, the roads are covered......how's the autopilot going to manage to stay in a lane?

The point I'm making is that the tech isn't there yet, and frankly until every car on the road is equipped with the tech I don't trust it. And I suspect as we see it getting used more we will see many more mishaps, and then who's to blame, the guy sleeping behind the wheel or the computer?
The Autopilot is just a feature, it's not the car. If it can't detect lanes, it won't let you turn it on. No matter what, the guy sleeping is always to blame. There is absolutely no documentation that Tesla puts out that tells the driver they can look away from the road, let alone go to sleep.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614882.00
      01-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #22
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The Autopilot is just a feature, it's not the car. If it can't detect lanes, it won't let you turn it on. No matter what, the guy sleeping is always to blame. There is absolutely no documentation that Tesla puts out that tells the driver they can look away from the road, let alone go to sleep.
So lets review, "features" never get misused......oh wait....Woman crashed motorhome using cruise control while making cup of tea

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/motorhome-crash/

This is why there is instructions on hair dryers that tell you not to use them in the bathtub.....people are too stupid to live.
Appreciate 0