BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Fitment of side panels

05-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Fitment of side panels

Just noticed that the hood does not line up flush with the side panels on both sides of my car. It looks like the panels were pushed in tight during assembly. I'm wondering if they can be backed out a bit to line up with the hood. Anyone else see this with their cars?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
tr0406
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

I just went and checked mine..same color scheme, by the way.

Mine is fine. I did notice an adjustable rubber stopper on each that screws in and out that could be pushing the hood up it they were unscrewed so as to be to high.

I have them on my Honda Ridgeline truck too, and they must be adjusted just right or the hood flutters over 60 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0406 View Post
I just went and checked mine..same color scheme, by the way.

Mine is fine. I did notice an adjustable rubber stopper on each that screws in and out that could be pushing the hood up it they were unscrewed so as to be to high.

I have them on my Honda Ridgeline truck too, and they must be adjusted just right or the hood flutters over 60 MPH.
Thanks for the reply.

As far as I can tell the hood is fine. It aligns nicely with the front bumper and windshield. It just looks a little large (right to left) with a bit of overhang. Really, it looks like the problem is the side panel is just set too close to the body so there is that little hood overhang.

It just strikes me as weird that both left and right sides are the same way. I may call the BMW dealership and see if they'll look at it. My new CX-5 had a front hood valance that was off a bit and they adjusted it with no problem. The side panel looks a bit more involved though as it includes the air vent insert.

I'll have to re-read the warranty book and see what time frame includes panel adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 04:12 PM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
Thanks for the reply.

As far as I can tell the hood is fine. It aligns nicely with the front bumper and windshield. It just looks a little large (right to left) with a bit of overhang. Really, it looks like the problem is the side panel is just set too close to the body so there is that little hood overhang.

It just strikes me as weird that both left and right sides are the same way. I may call the BMW dealership and see if they'll look at it. My new CX-5 had a front hood valance that was off a bit and they adjusted it with no problem. The side panel looks a bit more involved though as it includes the air vent insert.

I'll have to re-read the warranty book and see what time frame includes panel adjustments.
Panel adjustments should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer should have no issue adjusting it. It is a fitment issue from the factory.
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus375.50
      06-01-2021, 12:06 AM   #5
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Pet peeve, but that panel/vent design is one thing I don't like about the Z4. The top of the vent makes it look like 3 separate body pieces are all joined together in an awkward geometry.

Rob
Appreciate 2
CJ4211450.00
Geradeaus375.50
      06-05-2021, 05:13 PM   #6
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I cancelled my service appointment for Monday. I was going to drop the car off and have the panels "adjusted" but after looking at a bunch of video reviews I've decided that my little mis-alignment is the way it comes. It does not line up vertically with perfect precision and that's the way I observed the cars in the review.

Anyway, flaw or design feature I can live with it as it is. I definitely don't want the body shop loosening screws all over the place and trying to make it perfect. Could get it back worse I'm guessing.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
I cancelled my service appointment for Monday. I was going to drop the car off and have the panels "adjusted" but after looking at a bunch of video reviews I've decided that my little mis-alignment is the way it comes. It does not line up vertically with perfect precision and that's the way I observed the cars in the review.

Anyway, flaw or design feature I can live with it as it is. I definitely don't want the body shop loosening screws all over the place and trying to make it perfect. Could get it back worse I'm guessing.
You're probably right. Don't worry, you'll forget about over the next week.
Appreciate 0