BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum What you don’t want to see...

06-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #1
mcboatface
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4

What you don’t want to see...

The ship carrying your car from Germany to the east coast making a U turn in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean. I just happened to check in on the progress and nearly fell off the sofa when I saw her heading East.

I have absolutely no idea why the Niagara Highway made this particular maneuver, but she did turn back to the west and resume speed shortly after this screen shot.

Actually, unless they opened a 7-11 mid-ocean, I don’t know why any ship would do something like this. Mechanical issue I suppose.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcboatface View Post
The ship carrying your car from Germany to the east coast making a U turn in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean. I just happened to check in on the progress and nearly fell off the sofa when I saw her heading East.

I have absolutely no idea why the Niagara Highway made this particular maneuver, but she did turn back to the west and resume speed shortly after this screen shot.

Actually, unless they opened a 7-11 mid-ocean, I don’t know why any ship would do something like this. Mechanical issue I suppose.
You sure the crew wasn't doing a chinese fire drill?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Man overboard drill
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcrew2 View Post
Man overboard drill
Excellent point
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Start worrying when it disappears off the screen though!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcrew2 View Post
Start worrying when it disappears off the screen though!
Agree but I didn't pay to get up to date position info for the Victoria Highway. It's supposed to hit Galveston this Friday and I will wait until it is in range of land to communicate via radio. I'm hoping to see it pop up tomorrow near Florida.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #7
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:

My car was on the Niagara Highway back in February. It slowed down and changed course to the south to avoid a storm. That maneuver cost six days. Have you looked at marine weather in your ships vicinity. Could be something similar.

The NH is a good looking ship and relatively new but I guess anything can breakdown at anytime.

If you really want to worry you should do a search on BMW cars damaged at sea. There's a video of the interior of a RORO in a storm. Millions in damage to the cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:34 PM   #8
mcboatface
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think the earlier response about it being a drill was spot on, although if I had to guess (now that I have looked into it…), it was probably an abandon ship drill as required by SOLAS regulations.

The weather in the North Atlantic is just about as good as it gets this week with a huge high pressure system covering a vast portion of the ocean. A late week low should develop off the coast of NS but the NH should be close to the Chesapeake by then.

She is due into Brunswick on June 15, but I doubt that will hold. Maybe the 17th? Hopefully she will come into the St Simons Sound at an hour that will allow me to see her pass by.

Back in 2010 I was waiting on an Audi S5 Cab and just happened to be standing on the pier when the ship carrying her (Fedora) passed about 300 yards away. This was before MarineTraffic, or before I knew about it, so I had no idea that was going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I think the earlier response about it being a drill was spot on, although if I had to guess (now that I have looked into it…), it was probably an abandon ship drill as required by SOLAS regulations.

The weather in the North Atlantic is just about as good as it gets this week with a huge high pressure system covering a vast portion of the ocean. A late week low should develop off the coast of NS but the NH should be close to the Chesapeake by then.

She is due into Brunswick on June 15, but I doubt that will hold. Maybe the 17th? Hopefully she will come into the St Simons Sound at an hour that will allow me to see her pass by.

Back in 2010 I was waiting on an Audi S5 Cab and just happened to be standing on the pier when the ship carrying her (Fedora) passed about 300 yards away. This was before MarineTraffic, or before I knew about it, so I had no idea that was going to happen.
There are a ton of webcams overlooking the entry to ports and the ports themselves. I saw the N.H. coming and going at most of its ports of call. St Simons pier has a webcam that provided really good views of it sailing in and out (close ups). Just something else you can do to kill the time waiting!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #10
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
There are a ton of webcams overlooking the entry to ports and the ports themselves. I saw the N.H. coming and going at most of its ports of call. St Simons pier has a webcam that provided really good views of it sailing in and out (close ups). Just something else you can do to kill the time waiting!
Cool, and it appears I'll be waiting longer than I anticipated.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #11
Zfournicorn
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:

Did you get your car yet? Mine was on that same trip as well but appears to still be at the port. My sales rep can not give me an ETA on delivery. I'm getting antsy. 😬
      06-30-2021, 10:51 PM   #12
mcboatface
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfournicorn View Post
Did you get your car yet? Mine was on that same trip as well but appears to still be at the port. My sales rep can not give me an ETA on delivery. I'm getting antsy. ��
Nope. Mine has been held up for weeks for the missing receiver audio module that comes in the Executive package. The GM of the dealership told me yesterday that the RAM would finally be in this week, but that was an hour after I told him to order me a 2022 model or do a dealer swap. I have extremely low confidence in this info.

This car had better be worth all this BS.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2021, 10:58 PM   #13
Zfournicorn
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfournicorn View Post
Did you get your car yet? Mine was on that same trip as well but appears to still be at the port. My sales rep can not give me an ETA on delivery. I'm getting antsy. 😬
Nope. Mine has been held up for weeks for the missing receiver audio module that comes in the Executive package. The GM of the dealership told me yesterday that the RAM would finally be in this week, but that was an hour after I told him to order me a 2022 mode or do a dealer swap. I have extremely low confidence in this info.

This car had better be worth all this BS.
Ha! I (half) jokingly told mine the same!

I am told my delay is a recall for faulty gas tank weld (a recall as of last November). I'm glad they're fixing it, but come on already. I'm trying hard not to lose confidence in the brand…

On the bright side my trade has increased in value so I'm hoping to save myself a little cash as a result of the delay.
      07-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #14
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Hope that you two get yours here real soon. I know seeing some of the stories here gives me low confidence I'll get mine on time, but haven't heard of any stoppages on it (I didn't get executive package ... oversight on my part about the upgraded HK system, kinda glad I didn't now).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 07:57 AM   #15
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Mines been sitting at port for a week. Hope to find out today what the deal is.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:04 AM   #16
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Mines been sitting at port for a week. Hope to find out today what the deal is.
Yeah me too actually.... I'm not even playin around when I say I get some butterflies thinking about your situation too.
Appreciate 0