BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Parking Assistant vs. Park Distance Control

05-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #1
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
Parking Assistant vs. Park Distance Control

Besides the auto steering function, what else do you get with the Parking assistant option that is not part of the standard Park Distance Control? From what I can tell, it looks like the standard PDC gives you a 360 view of the sensors, but the Parking Assistant version appears to be different.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I’m wondering if anybody has actually ordered the Parking Assistant option. None of the Z4’s I see for sale appear to have it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajtrader View Post
Besides the auto steering function, what else do you get with the Parking assistant option that is not part of the standard Park Distance Control? From what I can tell, it looks like the standard PDC gives you a 360 view of the sensors, but the Parking Assistant version appears to be different.
PDC, from my research, uses the sensors to determine distance from objects with respect to the vehicle (from a top view) to assist in safely parking the car. The PA assists in the steering function. The later is a separate option.

Hope it this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
I’m wondering if anybody has actually ordered the Parking Assistant option. None of the Z4’s I see for sale appear to have it.
PDC is part of the Executive package and PA is required with auto cruise control.

I chose the former for the upgraded HK system, but did not want the later because I'm old school and don't need/want a computer to drive for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
PDC is part of the Executive package and PA is required with auto cruise control.

I chose the former for the upgraded HK system, but did not want the later because I'm old school and don't need/want a computer to drive for me.
:

I made the same choice but was concerned that I missed out on other features that the Parking Assist package included. so far it seems like there are not any additional features beyond steering control and possibly an enhanced 360 parking sensor view.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Are you able to judge where the front spoiler is relative to the curb with the front PDC display?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #7
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
:

I made the same choice but was concerned that I missed out on other features that the Parking Assist package included. so far it seems like there are not any additional features beyond steering control and possibly an enhanced 360 parking sensor view.
It seems you already know how to drive so no loss there.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #8
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Are you able to judge where the front spoiler is relative to the curb with the front PDC display?
The sensors are in the bumper. Based on other vehicles with the same technology, it will not; however, I will have to wait and see when mine finally arrives. It is still stuck in the paint booth,

I would suggest you try an experiment, in a controlled environment, to determine it yourself. I suggest an empty parking lot, like a school, and know where the skirt kit is relative to the curb horizontally. Coast and test the system. Do forward and backwards and you should have a good gauge to prevent damage later.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #9
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The sensors are in the bumper. Based on other vehicles with the same technology, it will not; however, I will have to wait and see when mine finally arrives. It is still stuck in the paint booth,

I would suggest you try an experiment, in a controlled environment, to determine it yourself. I suggest an empty parking lot, like a school, and know where the skirt kit is relative to the curb horizontally. Coast and test the system. Do forward and backwards and you should have a good gauge to prevent damage later.
Sorry, got you confused with someone else. After watching it proceed through the various steps the hardest part for me is knowing that it arrives in SC at the end of May and I have to wait a month for my PDC date. At least it gives me time to buy reasonably priced airline tickets.
Appreciate 1
TAZ0071846.50
      05-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #10
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Sorry, got you confused with someone else. After watching it proceed through the various steps the hardest part for me is knowing that it arrives in SC at the end of May and I have to wait a month for my PDC date. At least it gives me time to buy reasonably priced airline tickets.
Hey no worries and good luck on a reasonably price airline ticket.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #11
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hey no worries and good luck on a reasonably price airline ticket.
No such critter these days!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #12
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
No such critter these days!
Too true and now you can only fly if you incase yourself in a plastic bag.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #13
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Automatic Parking Assist is really a great option to have

I have it on my '19 Z4. It will automatically parallel park the car thus eliminating any chance of curb rash. It also has this cool feature where it remembers how you got into a tight spot or a narrow garage and it will pull the car out for you when you come back. It remembers the movements of the last 25 feet or so that you drove. Because we already paid for all the cameras this option just does more stuff with them.
Appreciate 3
Kwajtrader1087.50
CJ4211542.50
TAZ0071846.50
      05-16-2021, 02:14 AM   #14
Ian J
Rep
Drives: BMW G29 Z4 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
I have it on my '19 Z4. It will automatically parallel park the car thus eliminating any chance of curb rash.
I've had that for three years but have been too nervous to try it out
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:06 AM   #15
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
I have ACC & Parking Assistant. ACC is awesome in traffic and on long drives. My understanding is Parking Assistant (5DM) enhances Park Distance Control (508) with low speed side protection (additional sensors) and active braking:
-Active PDC (prevents or limits risk of collision during parking maneuvers via the brakes)
-Rear View Camera (produces an additional image with parking guidelines if vehicle also has 5AS/Rear Cross Traffic Warning)
-Parking Assistant: the car parks autonomously both in parallel and perpendicular to the driving lane
-Reverse Assistant: driving forward within 35km / h the system memorizes the last 50m of the road and the obstacles present, by engaging the reverse gear the system takes control of the steering and retraces the road traveled in reverse. The driver remains responsible for the accelerator and brake.

508:
Name:  508.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  217.7 KB

5DM:
Name:  5dm.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  274.7 KB

https://www.bmwzclub.it/public/2019-...01.03.2019.pdf

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 05-16-2021 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00
      05-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #16
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
I have ACC & Parking Assistant. ACC is awesome in traffic and on long drives. My understanding is Parking Assistant (5DM) enhances Park Distance Control (508) with low speed side protection (additional sensors) and active braking:
-Active PDC (prevents or limits risk of collision during parking maneuvers via the brakes)
-Rear View Camera (produces an additional image with parking guidelines if vehicle also has 5AS/Rear Cross Traffic Warning)
-Parking Assistant: the car parks autonomously both in parallel and perpendicular to the driving lane
-Reverse Assistant: driving forward within 35km / h the system memorizes the last 50m of the road and the obstacles present, by engaging the reverse gear the system takes control of the steering and retraces the road traveled in reverse. The driver remains responsible for the accelerator and brake.

508:
Attachment 2605104

5DM:
Attachment 2605105

https://www.bmwzclub.it/public/2019-...01.03.2019.pdf
Well, we live in the future after all.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #17
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Parking assistant to back up from your drive way is perfect while top down to show off how your car drives by itself. 🤣🤣( plus very useful if the path is narrow).
By the way, don't drive too fast when reversing because sensors and speed will connect your automatic collision brakes and your car will stop without you going to hit anything.
      06-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #18
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Parking Assistant

Finally tried out the Parking Assistant feature on my Z. The one time I initiated it in traffic I had to travel by the parking spaces on the road (parallel spots) too fast for it to work. A couple of days ago I saw a good test lot so pulled in and tried it out.

My understanding is that the Assistant can't handle wide open lots. That was the case for me. I observed that it couldn't identify a spot until the car had passed by a single parked car. It then gave me the choice of parking either perpendicular or parallel). Once I selected perpendicular (touched the display screen) and released the brake the car completely took over and backed into the space, put the car in "Park" and set the parking brake.

I drove the same route and this time touched parallel and watched as the car backed into a "parallel" parking orientation taking up two perpendicular spaces. I told it to do that so it's on me that it would do something obnoxious like that!

My feeling is that it is a neat parlor trick but something I'll probably never use again. I mastered parallel parking almost 50 years ago (had to to get a driver's license) and can do it quite effectively and quickly - much quicker than the Assistant could do it. Additionally, I park as far away as I can from other cars in an open area of the lot. The Parking Assistant needs at least one parked car.

The greatest breakthrough in parking isn't all the computer controls, it's the rotating passenger side mirror. Without that mirror one really is guessing about curb location, but with it no more rim damage.
Appreciate 2
CJ4211542.50
Amadeo391.50
      06-05-2021, 07:47 PM   #19
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Finally tried out the Parking Assistant feature on my Z. The one time I initiated it in traffic I had to travel by the parking spaces on the road (parallel spots) too fast for it to work. A couple of days ago I saw a good test lot so pulled in and tried it out.

My understanding is that the Assistant can't handle wide open lots. That was the case for me. I observed that it couldn't identify a spot until the car had passed by a single parked car. It then gave me the choice of parking either perpendicular or parallel). Once I selected perpendicular (touched the display screen) and released the brake the car completely took over and backed into the space, put the car in "Park" and set the parking brake.

I drove the same route and this time touched parallel and watched as the car backed into a "parallel" parking orientation taking up two perpendicular spaces. I told it to do that so it's on me that it would do something obnoxious like that!

My feeling is that it is a neat parlor trick but something I'll probably never use again. I mastered parallel parking almost 50 years ago (had to to get a driver's license) and can do it quite effectively and quickly - much quicker than the Assistant could do it. Additionally, I park as far away as I can from other cars in an open area of the lot. The Parking Assistant needs at least one parked car.

The greatest breakthrough in parking isn't all the computer controls, it's the rotating passenger side mirror. Without that mirror one really is guessing about curb location, but with it no more rim damage.
I don't think parallel parking is taught anymore and is not a requirement for a license. At least that's what I notice on today's street.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 10:38 PM   #20
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

That was my thinking as well. I learned to drive in Boston where Parallel parking was a way of life. Also, my wife has a Tesla model Y and the self parking is much more advanced and I almost never use it, which is why I opted not to get this option.
Appreciate 0