BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 died - now soft top doesn't work

05-27-2021, 05:36 PM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Z4 died - now soft top doesn't work

Long story short: I took the Z4 out last night for a quick trip to Burger King about 5 minutes away. I did not open the sunroof at all during the trip. I drove home and parked the Z4 in the garage. A few hours later and just before going to bed, I checked the garage to make sure the door was closed. That's when I noticed the front fender indicator lights on my Z4 were lit. I thought that was strange so I checked the car out. The battery was completely dead and would not charge with the BMW supplied trickle charger. Today my friend brought over a 30amp heavy duty battery charger and we were able to start the car after about 5 minutes of charge. There were errors being reported by IDrive about checking to ensure the soft top was locked. Of course it was locked, but it also would not open either. I dropped the car off at the dealership where they told me (few minutes ago by phone) that the soft top module is not responding and they need to get one from Germany. Expect about 3 or 4 weeks for delivery. They also said I could have the car back in the meantime, but the battery could die again because of whatever issue the car has now.

Since my car is a lease, should I request reimbursement from BMW if I can't drive it or use the soft top for a month? Something tells me BMW does nothing in such cases, but I thought I would ask. Summer is short enough here in Canada so not having the soft top working for a month is a bit letdown. That's the reason I have the car is because it is a converible.

And on a side note, I hope they checked all the fuses and this isn't just a case of a blown fuse.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
That sucks.... I wonder if there is a procedure to raise and lower the roof manually?

Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
That sucks.... I wonder if there is a procedure to raise and lower the roof manually?

Dave
Yes, there is on page 97 of the pdf manual.

I'm a bit hesitant to pick the car up unless it's completely fixed.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 07:39 PM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Long story short: I took the Z4 out last night for a quick trip to Burger King about 5 minutes away. I did not open the sunroof at all during the trip. I drove home and parked the Z4 in the garage. A few hours later and just before going to bed, I checked the garage to make sure the door was closed. That's when I noticed the front fender indicator lights on my Z4 were lit. I thought that was strange so I checked the car out. The battery was completely dead and would not charge with the BMW supplied trickle charger. Today my friend brought over a 30amp heavy duty battery charger and we were able to start the car after about 5 minutes of charge. There were errors being reported by IDrive about checking to ensure the soft top was locked. Of course it was locked, but it also would not open either. I dropped the car off at the dealership where they told me (few minutes ago by phone) that the soft top module is not responding and they need to get one from Germany. Expect about 3 or 4 weeks for delivery. They also said I could have the car back in the meantime, but the battery could die again because of whatever issue the car has now.

Since my car is a lease, should I request reimbursement from BMW if I can't drive it or use the soft top for a month? Something tells me BMW does nothing in such cases, but I thought I would ask. Summer is short enough here in Canada so not having the soft top working for a month is a bit letdown. That's the reason I have the car is because it is a converible.

And on a side note, I hope they checked all the fuses and this isn't just a case of a blown fuse.

Rob
Sorry to hear. Understanding it is a lease, wouldn't the dealer provide you a loaner until they can properly fix the car? That's what happens in the South in my experience. I would also check the lease for warranty/ loss of use issues. There may be a remedy in there like suspending payment, whether or not pro-rated.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #5
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Sorry to hear. Understanding it is a lease, wouldn't the dealer provide you a loaner until they can properly fix the car? That's what happens in the South in my experience. I would also check the lease for warranty/ loss of use issues. There may be a remedy in there like suspending payment, whether or not pro-rated.
I don't need a loaner since it's not my daily driver. It's my weekend/weeknight fun car for summer. I'm going to have to ask them where that soft top module is located...

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
I don't need a loaner since it's not my daily driver. It's my weekend/weeknight fun car for summer. I'm going to have to ask them where that soft top module is located...

Rob
The convertible top module is in the truck behind the rear wall liner. remove the right side liner, then pull the full rear panel cover off
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #7
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

The dealership said the module was staying active which made the car not 'sleep' so that is why the battery died. I have it back now and can drive it, but can't open the top until the dealer gets the part. The battery may or may not run down again...

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 10:43 AM   #8
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
I'd put it on a battery tender....

Dave
Appreciate 1
TAZ0071845.00
      06-01-2021, 02:13 AM   #9
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'd put it on a battery tender....

Dave
It's been ok so far, except for annoying pop up messages telling me to make sure the roof is locked.

Well, one other thing I have noticed twice so far. Two times I have been stopped at a railway crossing and when the train passed, the car would not accelerate when I pushed the gas. The car basically crawled at walking speed and then suddenly picked up.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #10
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
It's been ok so far, except for annoying pop up messages telling me to make sure the roof is locked.

Well, one other thing I have noticed twice so far. Two times I have been stopped at a railway crossing and when the train passed, the car would not accelerate when I pushed the gas. The car basically crawled at walking speed and then suddenly picked up.

Rob
Sounds like a software glitch forcing the computer to go into safety mode. I call that mode "anemic mode" and have had it a few times based on tire pressure. Assuming your car is otherwise ok, it may need a software update.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:32 AM   #11
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

2 weeks later and I'm still waiting for my Z4 to be fixed. I am missing some EXCELLENT top down driving weather and to say I'm a bit peeved is an understatement. I don't understand why BMW doesn't stock these parts nationally or even better, just FEDEX the damn part so it is here in a couple of days.

What kind of warranty is it that leaves your car broken for weeks because of a small part before it can be fixed?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
I am having problems with supply of computer chip related products lately, it seems that it is affecting automotive markets all over the world.
Some factories are slowing down production.
      06-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #13
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
2 weeks later and I'm still waiting for my Z4 to be fixed. I am missing some EXCELLENT top down driving weather and to say I'm a bit peeved is an understatement. I don't understand why BMW doesn't stock these parts nationally or even better, just FEDEX the damn part so it is here in a couple of days.

What kind of warranty is it that leaves your car broken for weeks because of a small part before it can be fixed?

Rob
I feel your pain; we purchased a 2021 Range Rover 4 months ago and a check engine light went on during the first week......took it in, reflashed the computer and off we went...next week, same thing. Took it back and were told the battery was fried AND since it's a 48 volt MHEV system, the battery has to come from England......take one out of another vehicle on the lot? ...sorry, we can't because they are VIN locked. Battery was supposed to be here in 1 week, then 2 weeks, then 3 weeks....we ended up getting our money back and went and bought an Audi SQ8 instead. Hopefully the Audi will be better

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #14
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
I feel your pain; we purchased a 2021 Range Rover 4 months ago and a check engine light went on during the first week......took it in, reflashed the computer and off we went...next week, same thing. Took it back and were told the battery was fried AND since it's a 48 volt MHEV system, the battery has to come from England......take one out of another vehicle on the lot? ...sorry, we can't because they are VIN locked. Battery was supposed to be here in 1 week, then 2 weeks, then 3 weeks....we ended up getting our money back and went and bought an Audi SQ8 instead. Hopefully the Audi will be better

Dave
VIN coding a battery? That's new to me and sounds off. Glad the Dealer refunded you.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #15
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
VIN coding a battery? That's new to me and sounds off. Glad the Dealer refunded you.
Sounds to me they didn't want to go through the trouble of doing the work involved with the computer systems in the cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #16
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
.....then 3 weeks....we ended up getting our money back and went and bought an Audi SQ8 instead. Hopefully the Audi will be better

Dave
I think you made the right choice. Land Rover has a terrible reliability record according to Consumer Reports. I'd buy an Audi over a LR any day.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #17
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Sounds to me they didn't want to go through the trouble of doing the work involved with the computer systems in the cars.
Good hypothesis, glad the info is out to worn others about Rover issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #18
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
Sounded off to me too but then I don't know much about Hybrid vehicle batteries. ....not much I could do about it so, yes, I'm glad they agreed to reverse the purchase.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #19
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Sounded off to me too but then I don't know much about Hybrid vehicle batteries. ....not much I could do about it so, yes, I'm glad they agreed to reverse the purchase.

Dave
I think Horseman had it right. They didn't want to mess with a faulty computer.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #20
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:

Dave

That is a blessing in disguise. If I had a dollar for every person that has told me their LR ended up at the service dept within 30 days of taking delivery of their brand new vehicle, I could have paid for my G29 in cash!

Well ... maybe overexaggerating a bit, however I personally know over a dozen people with this same experience ... one of my wife's colleagues bought a new RR Autobiography ... it was in/out of the shop for major powertrain issues for the first 6 months before they finally offered a buyback. You are lucky. I'm sure the SQ8 will be much more reliable and engaging!
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #21
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
That is a blessing in disguise. If I had a dollar for every person that has told me their LR ended up at the service dept within 30 days of taking delivery of their brand new vehicle, I could have paid for my G29 in cash!

Well ... maybe overexaggerating a bit, however I personally know over a dozen people with this same experience ... one of my wife's colleagues bought a new RR Autobiography ... it was in/out of the shop for major powertrain issues for the first 6 months before they finally offered a buyback. You are lucky. I'm sure the SQ8 will be much more reliable and engaging!

I've heard the rhetoric before but I had no issues with my 2014 Jaguar F type in the 3 years I owned it so I thought perhaps the stories were overblown.....guess not.

The SQ8 is a nice vehicle; I hadn't previously considered an Audi and was looking at a Mercedes GLE450, BMW X5 or a Porsche Cayenne but we stopped by on a whim and after driving them all, the Audi was the winner......hard to beat the 500hp biturbo V8. :-)

Sorry to the OP for getting so far OT.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 11:50 PM   #22
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to the OP for getting so far OT.

Cheers,
Dave
Ha, no problem! Just passing time while waiting for the part to show up.

Rob
Appreciate 1