Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Only time i use soap on the soft top is when it accidentally sprays from my foam cannon lol.
IMHO, the only time soap is really needed is when you have bird droppings or a similar substance on the soft top and washing it with water doesn't do the job.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #24
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
IMHO, the only time soap is really needed is when you have bird droppings or a similar substance on the soft top and washing it with water doesn't do the job.
Oddly enough, I have yet to have a bird shit on my top. *knock on wood* Windows.. yes. Not even the hood! which is really weird.

I do wet the top with water because i have two cats and a dog.... the hair gets EVERYWHERE!! even in my garage, I swear....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 08:16 AM   #25
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Oddly enough, I have yet to have a bird shit on my top. *knock on wood* Windows.. yes. Not even the hood! which is really weird.

I do wet the top with water because i have two cats and a dog.... the hair gets EVERYWHERE!! even in my garage, I swear....
I hope through you didn't jinx yourself, rumor has it that the birds do read the posts in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #26
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

That's interesting about the softop. I clean the top on my car (Fiat 124) each time I wash it using a Meguires wash, then a thorough rinse. Doesn't seem to hurt it, but then it's likely a different - cheaper? - material. It's also garaged most of the time.

I do, also, use a clothes lint roller to get any fluff off.

I saw a moonlight softop a day or so ago, and that is definitely a different material. Is the regular black top the same material/weave but a different color 'blend'?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #27
Skinbc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2022

I have the moonlight and I'm pretty sure it's a vinyl coated with some sort of water repellant. I soak it but try not to wash it, garage kept as well.
Appreciate 0