BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum 2022 Z4 M40i Production Timeline

05-20-2022, 04:00 AM   #1
JRandall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i 2020 BMW X3

2022 Z4 M40i Production Timeline

Before I make this post, I just want to thank all the regulars on the G29 General forum - People have and will come and go. Yall have created a valuable resource for all to enjoy - Thank you!

A bit wordy, a few more details than necessary in some parts and not enough in others, How long it takes to get through the process probably changes month to month, pending current events.

2022 Z4 – from order date to driving home.

BMW Z4 M40i - Glacier Silver Metallic, Moonlight Black Top, BMW M 50 years Emblem, 19” M Double-Spoke cerium grey wheels,

Cognac Vernasca Leather, Driving Assistance Package, Premium package, HK sound.

Scheduled for production – I was able to assume the dealerships allocated production number, I do not know the date they received allocation.

2/15/2022 – Placed order at dealership, I was allowed to modify the allocated build and put down a $1000.00 deposit.

Entered the production number to MYBMW account and started tracking progress.

3/09/Wednesday – Production Begins - Today’s the day: your BMW has entered the production queue. Received vin number .

Two week production pause due to parts shortage. The war in Ukraine caused a shortage of wiring harnesses.

3/25/Friday – Exterior Body assembly begins – Your BMW is taking shape. Exterior body construction has begun.

3/28/Monday – In the Paint Booth – Your BMW is ready to show it’s true colors in the paint shop.

4/01/Friday – Entering the Assembly Line – On to the assembly line, where your BMW really starts to come together.

Progress advanced, or just updated five steps in one day – per mybmw tracking.

4/04/Monday – Assembly In Progress

4/04/Monday – Quality Check

4/04/Monday – Final Assembly

4/04/Monday – Ready For Transport

4/04/Monday – Awaiting carrier assignment – A carrier has been assigned to take care of your BMW.

The car waited a week before the train ride to the port.

4/12/Tuesday – Dispatched from the Magna Steyr Factory in Graz, Austria – Your new BMW has left the Factory, and is on its way to you.

4/14/Thursday – At the Port in Bremerhaven, Germany – Your BMW has arrived at the port. (Bon voyage)

Patience almost got the best of me while waiting for a sail date. I finally just sent a short note to my CA and he emailed the name of the ship and a link for tracking!

4/27/Wednesday, Depart 14:13 – Sailing on the Orion Highway. MYBMW updated to “In Transit” status on 4/28/22.

4/29/Friday, Arrive 16:34 – First stop in Southampton, Hampshire county England. Depart 4/30 at 07:47

5/9/Monday – Orion Highway is Stateside! In port at Baltimore, Maryland

Wow, the ship was in Baltimore much longer than I expected. It moored at three different docks; Port of Baltimore, Sparrows Point, and Dundalk Marine Terminal.

5/12 Thursday – Depart Dundalk at 20:49. Original Kline schedule (week 18) showed ship at Brunswick on Thursday, now has ETA of 5/14.

5/14/Saturday – In port at Brunswick, Georgia. After the car is offloaded, it goes through some inspections and then staged for carrier pick-up. Unsure of all the details here, customs, recalls, repairs, etc. can cause delays at this point.

I think the car went through here pretty quick , based on other comments I have read.

The big day

5/18/Wednesday – CA sent text at 9am, The car has been picked up and should be here by the end of the week!

5/18/Wednesday – CA called at 11:30 – Hey Man, I’m standing here looking at your car! Give us a few hours to clean it up and you can come on in -

Neither one of us expected that! I am at the dealership looking at the car by 4pm, in the CA’s words “it’s a beauty!” and it is indeed J

Paperwork completed and driving home around 615pm.

*When I placed the order, I asked for a Performance Center (PC) delivery, we had been there in the past for the ½ day new owner experience when we purchased an X3.

When news came of the two week production pause, I had a conversation with the CA about further possible delays, he said there were clients waiting several months for PC delivery after getting stateside – so I asked to take a local delivery. I recently received the “new owner” performance center invitation, I think worth doing again, and we probably will. The PC gives you 12 months to schedule a day.
Appreciate 4
stlcdr1020.50
      05-20-2022, 04:13 AM   #2
JRandall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i 2020 BMW X3

At the dealership
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
BMWGirlFL6337.50
ebirotedu1464.50
IM2C2068.50
ZZZ4 G29291.00
CJ4211563.50
ToysArs60.50
      05-20-2022, 08:22 AM   #3
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Congrats!
      05-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Congratulations!

That's quite the wait, I want to say you were lucky not waiting longer w/ the delays. But you got the car and it's the perfect time of year to enjoy it.

You might consider doing the BMW Performance Center's one-day driving school after your orientation. Maybe do the orientation one day, then do the driving school the next. Totally worthwhile!

Charles
      05-22-2022, 08:43 AM   #5
Bayernzeit
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2022 Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Thanks for sharing your experience and what a beautiful roadster! I can see what difference a dealership's available allocation can make. I ordered my Z4 M40i one day before you through BMW's military overseas sales program here in Germany, but the broker did not have an allocation immediately available. Mine was scheduled for a week 14 build (early May), then pushed to early June now. I surely can't complain when Ukrainians are in a living hell 10 hours east of me and I see some of them here in my footprint training, only to return soon to mortal danger. At least my car will only be a few hours away via freight after completion in Graz. Having to then wait again for the container ship to sail to CONUS, then continue on overland to wherever, would drive me crazy. Summer is here, viele schöne Fahrten mit dem Z4! 👍
Appreciate 2