BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Calling All Buff Guys....

02-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #45
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetrator View Post
Sorry, I know very little about this stuff.

I'm one of those scrawny asian guys that always try and gain weight and add muscle. Anywho, everytime I try to do protein shakes, it upsets my tummy (like someone already mentioned here). Is it the whey that does it? Yogurt has whey, but doesn't upset my stomach. Is there something I'm missing? Or does someone have any alternatives/brands I can look into? I'd like to take protein, but don't want to always have to cropdust at the office.
Try different brands. None really upset my stomach, but one (can't remember which) usually makes me have to drop the kids off within 10 minutes of drinking it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #46
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetrator View Post
Sorry, I know very little about this stuff.

I'm one of those scrawny asian guys that always try and gain weight and add muscle. Anywho, everytime I try to do protein shakes, it upsets my tummy (like someone already mentioned here). Is it the whey that does it? Yogurt has whey, but doesn't upset my stomach. Is there something I'm missing? Or does someone have any alternatives/brands I can look into? I'd like to take protein, but don't want to always have to cropdust at the office.
If you drink too much protein without actually using it, it will have the cropdusting effect you describe.

Most protein shakes are also based on milk protein, which can be a problem for some. The Optimum Nutrition shakes come with Lactase and some other digestive enzymes loaded in, which makes them more digestible for most people.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #47
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Darkcloud - don't think you saw post 35..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #48
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
I've been doing a bunch of research on bikes lately. Ideally I would want a road bike, but the cheapest ones usually are ~$700 or so. I don't know if I would drop that much on a bike..

They sell "comfort bikes" which are sort of like mountain bikes in stance but they have more of a road type wheel, materials. So you have less rolling resistance, etc. These can be found in the ~$300 range or so, so I might try one of these.. This is what I had in mind:

http://cycleloft.com/itemdetails.cfm...gId=39&id=4006

Again, I'm a complete bike noob.. Feel free to offer your advice..

Commute (one-way) is 7 miles.
Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about bikes. My buddies are really into it and they both ended up with Gary Fishers after doing their research. They both did mention Trek's are very very good especially once you start to drop some coin. Neither really use their bikes for commuting to work though, just for some weekend warrior activities.

Sorry I can't be more help

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #49
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about bikes. My buddies are really into it and they both ended up with Gary Fishers after doing their research. They both did mention Trek's are very very good especially once you start to drop some coin. Neither really use their bikes for commuting to work though, just for some weekend warrior activities.

No worries... I'll let you know my final decision...

Thanks, Josh

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #50
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
All these products. Anyone mind building a mini list. I think I'm pretty decided on the EAS Myoplex protein mix. Now all I need is a whey and creatine, any suggestions??

I've been staring at this dpsnutrition.net and have decided that unless you know exactly what you want you shouldn't be ordering from them haha.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #51
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post
^ I give you six weeks max
seriously man, i eat mcdonalds on average of 3-5 times a week. There are some weeks that i ate for 14 straight days and some of these days ate 2 or 3 times a day. I've been doing that for months and guess what.........i have 7% body fat .
My mother gets so pissed when i eat fast food, its not even funny. She always cook food but i don't eat.
I'll think about cutting down on fast food.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #52
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All these products. Anyone mind building a mini list. I think I'm pretty decided on the EAS Myoplex protein mix. Now all I need is a whey and creatine, any suggestions??

I've been staring at this dpsnutrition.net and have decided that unless you know exactly what you want you shouldn't be ordering from them haha.
If you're using EAS Protein, I'd just go with their Creatine too. I could be mistaken, but I believe their protein is whey based.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #53
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
If you're using EAS Protein, I'd just go with their Creatine too. I could be mistaken, but I believe their protein is whey based.
Yeah it says it has 42g protein including whey. Would you not suggest using another whey for after the workout?

I was thinking myoplex before, workout, then whey & creatine after. Then dropping the creatine after I use all the pills.

Sound good?

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #54
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
All you guys are offering useful info but what works for one may not work for others. It really is trial and error.

Start with the fundamentals; proteins, carbs, fats, vitamins, minerals and water. The key is knowing how much of these nutrients you need to eat and when to eat them to feed your muscles and starve the fat.

Protein is key and very important when you're trying to build a leaner, stronger, healthier body. You should eat foods like chicken, fish, beef, egg whites and some dairy, like cottage cheese. I hate the stuff. These complete proteins contain amino acids which helps to build muscle, your body can't make them on its own.

Carbs are a key source of energy. Found in fruits, veggies, grains, pasta, bread, etc. Slow carbs provides you with a contant release of energy. My favs are brown rice, veggies, oatmeal and whole grain pasta. They trigger the release of insulin which helps your amino acids enter muscle cells. So protein and carbs work together in building a better body.

You actually do need some fat but in the form of essential fatty acids. Like omega 3/ 6. These fats help you burn stored bodyfat. And can be found in fish and fish oil pills. Saturated fats are the bad ones, like cheeseburgers, fries, donuts, candy, etc. Can cause you to gain bodyfat and can cause heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Vitamins are very important, I take a multi every day. I could never eat enough to get the recommended amount of vits/ minerals needed each day.

Drink lots of water!!! You just can't build and maintain a healthy body without water. And stay away from soft drinks!

Supplements, I usually just follow my instincts/ intuition. That way I figure out what works for me. As I stated above what works for me may not benefit you at all.

Don't buy junk food. If you crave these things it's only because that's been your habit. Break the habit!! If you must have the stuff, limit it to one cheat day a week. And stay clear of greasy fried foods.

Follow an exercise program that helps you build muscle. One that includes the entire body (which means work those legs too guys ) and add in some cardio. Make working out your new habit, that way you will feel natural doing it than not doing it. And it's important to keep your routine fresh, shock the body dude!!

As for protein drinks I like ON Whey (choc and vanilla) But with vanilla I can add different fruits/ peanut butter for variety. Good stuff

Here's a sample of what I might during my day.

BREAKFAST : 4/5 egg omelet (all white and 1 yolk) w/ turkey & cheese or oatmeal w/ blueberries
multivitamin, fish oil pills, flax seed pill
16 oz water or low sodium V8

BRUNCH : cheesy chicken pita pocket (yogurt and spicy brown mustard mixed as spread w/ lettuce, tomato and cheese) and XS energy drink

SNACK : shake and protein bar or apple/ banana

LUNCH : grilled chicken breast, veggies, baked potato, water

SNACK : shake and banana or some blueberries

DINNER : lean beef or turkey burger w/ tomato on wheat or whole wheat pasta w/ ground turkey
brown rice w/ brocolli, water

It all depends on what you're trying to acheive at the time; cutting or bulking.

I try to keep chicken breasts and boiled eggs handy. I like to cut those up in a salad or make a quick sandwich. Cook 'em in bulk and they're always ready to go!

I hope this was helpful. Good Luck!!
      02-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #55
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL Bimmer View Post
mcdonalds 7 times a week ...........atleast it works for me.

.....im serious
Quote:
^ I give you six weeks max

Seriously! I tried eating McDonalds and other fast foods 3x a day for like 3 weeks.

No joke, my heart started hurting like crazy. Shooting pains and shit.

Not cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #56
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
^^ I seriously hope he's not serious
      02-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #57
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_328 View Post
All you guys are offering useful info but what works for one may not work for others. It really is trial and error.

Start with the fundamentals; proteins, carbs, fats, vitamins, minerals and water. The key is knowing how much of these nutrients you need to eat and when to eat them to feed your muscles and starve the fat.

Protein is key and very important when you're trying to build a leaner, stronger, healthier body. You should eat foods like chicken, fish, beef, egg whites and some dairy, like cottage cheese. I hate the stuff. These complete proteins contain amino acids which helps to build muscle, your body can't make them on its own.

Carbs are a key source of energy. Found in fruits, veggies, grains, pasta, bread, etc. Slow carbs provides you with a contant release of energy. My favs are brown rice, veggies, oatmeal and whole grain pasta. They trigger the release of insulin which helps your amino acids enter muscle cells. So protein and carbs work together in building a better body.

You actually do need some fat but in the form of essential fatty acids. Like omega 3/ 6. These fats help you burn stored bodyfat. And can be found in fish and fish oil pills. Saturated fats are the bad ones, like cheeseburgers, fries, donuts, candy, etc. Can cause you to gain bodyfat and can cause heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Vitamins are very important, I take a multi every day. I could never eat enough to get the recommended amount of vits/ minerals needed each day.

Drink lots of water!!! You just can't build and maintain a healthy body without water. And stay away from soft drinks!

Supplements, I usually just follow my instincts/ intuition. That way I figure out what works for me. As I stated above what works for me may not benefit you at all.

Don't buy junk food. If you crave these things it's only because that's been your habit. Break the habit!! If you must have the stuff, limit it to one cheat day a week. And stay clear of greasy fried foods.

Follow an exercise program that helps you build muscle. One that includes the entire body (which means work those legs too guys ) and add in some cardio. Make working out your new habit, that way you will feel natural doing it than not doing it. And it's important to keep your routine fresh, shock the body dude!!

As for protein drinks I like ON Whey (choc and vanilla) But with vanilla I can add different fruits/ peanut butter for variety. Good stuff

Here's a sample of what I might during my day.

BREAKFAST : 4/5 egg omelet (all white and 1 yolk) w/ turkey & cheese or oatmeal w/ blueberries
multivitamin, fish oil pills, flax seed pill
16 oz water or low sodium V8

BRUNCH : cheesy chicken pita pocket (yogurt and spicy brown mustard mixed as spread w/ lettuce, tomato and cheese) and XS energy drink

SNACK : shake and protein bar or apple/ banana

LUNCH : grilled chicken breast, veggies, baked potato, water

SNACK : shake and banana or some blueberries

DINNER : lean beef or turkey burger w/ tomato on wheat or whole wheat pasta w/ ground turkey
brown rice w/ brocolli, water

It all depends on what you're trying to acheive at the time; cutting or bulking.

I try to keep chicken breasts and boiled eggs handy. I like to cut those up in a salad or make a quick sandwich. Cook 'em in bulk and they're always ready to go!

I hope this was helpful. Good Luck!!
Good info man. And I did mention that everyone is different and you gotta play around..

Darkcloud, while I don't know what's involved with taking Creatine, I know you need to cycle it. And you have to do something when you're coming off of it so that your body doesn't go into withdrawls so to speak.

Check Sam's Club for EAS. They have big 5lb bags of protein for like $23.

I love this thread. I've taken the last few days off from the gym and I can't wait to get in there today.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #58
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Darkcloud, while I don't know what's involved with taking Creatine, I know you need to cycle it. And you have to do something when you're coming off of it so that your body doesn't go into withdrawls so to speak.

Check Sam's Club for EAS. They have big 5lb bags of protein for like $23.
Yeah I've taken creatine before. I don't get the withdrawl thing though, I never experienced it. After reading around last night I think I'm going to go with the pill form over the powder or serum. I never liked how the powder mixed to begin with. The pill form doesn't seem to need to be cycled either, at least it's not mentioned. Most only say to take 2 daily, nothing like how the powder says to take multiple doses throughout the day when starting.

I was just as Sams last week too. Anyone know the difference between the EAS 100%whey protein and the EAS myoplex??

Oh also my fiance was wondering what she could take. She just wants to get fit and tone up. She also wants something to help with recovery since she never really has worked out and shes afraid of being too sore Any suggestions? My first instincts say she would use the eas myoplex lite or something equivalent to that....

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #59
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

I have a Trek 1000 and I love it. I didn't want to spend a grand on a bike/helmet/shoes wither but it was well worth it. I have had the same bike for 5 years now and I ride RAGBRAI every year on it (www.RAGBRAI.org 500+ miles in 1 week). I would highly recommend Trek. If you are just riding to work a comfort bike might better suit you. My mom has one because she doen't ride as aggressivly and they are much more comfortable... imagine that!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #60
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I've taken creatine before. I don't get the withdrawl thing though, I never experienced it. After reading around last night I think I'm going to go with the pill form over the powder or serum. I never liked how the powder mixed to begin with. The pill form doesn't seem to need to be cycled either, at least it's not mentioned. Most only say to take 2 daily, nothing like how the powder says to take multiple doses throughout the day when starting.

Oh also my fiance was wondering what she could take. She just wants to get fit and tone up. She also wants something to help with recovery since she never really has worked out and shes afraid of being too sore Any suggestions? My first instincts say she would use the eas myoplex lite or something equivalent to that....

If she is worried about being sore the only thing I have taken that has stopped that is Creatine. I personally have taken a few kinds but still live by CELL-TECH. I take half the recommended doseage at the times they say (twice a day for first week then just before or after lifting).

I went from 5'11" 145 lbs and 155 lb x1 bench press (just for a benchmark) to 5'11" 190 lbs and 315 lb x1 bench press in about a year and a half. The only reason I don't like taking creatine is because you retain a lot of water and your abs don't show as well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #61
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91' 850i

Garage List
1991 850i  [7.75]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

I was just as Sams last week too. Anyone know the difference between the EAS 100%whey protein and the EAS myoplex??

Difference between EAS Myoplex and Whey Protein:

EAS Myoplex:
-Includes 24 different vitamins and minerals
-Combination of Whey, Soy, and Egg proteins in order to create a time release effect for optimal muscle building (Complete Protein blend)
-L-Glutamine: A conditionally essential amino acid used for faster recovery
-Brown Rice Syrup: Complex Carbohydrate used to curb hunger
-Fiber: Also used to curb hunger

EAS 100% Whey Protein:
-Includes simple and complex BCCA amino acids from milk sources
-Lacks amino acids present in Egg and Soy proteins

Your fiance' should try Myoplex light or Myoplex Carb Sense. They are excellent products and I use them for cutting and toning. When I play summer league basketball I need the boost . I used them after workotus and to replace a mid-day meal. Four smaller meals [Low carb, high protein] a day with one replaced with the Myoplex Light.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #62
JoeClothing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL Bimmer View Post
seriously man, i eat mcdonalds on average of 3-5 times a week. There are some weeks that i ate for 14 straight days and some of these days ate 2 or 3 times a day. I've been doing that for months and guess what.........i have 7% body fat .
My mother gets so pissed when i eat fast food, its not even funny. She always cook food but i don't eat.
I'll think about cutting down on fast food.
I'm not sure which is going to explode first...your heart or your ass

I once ate McDonalds twice in one day and I have never felt so sick.That food will kill you, literally. Come to think of it, a few years back I bet a buddy $200 he couldn't eat 60 McNuggets in 60 minutes. He got to 57 before he started to turn bright red He gave up at that point, and I'm fairly certain he would have gone into cardiac arrest had he made it to 60.
He ran right to the office bathroom and was in there almost all day Rather than add insult to injury I let him keep his cash.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #63
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

i usually eat alot of small meals and stay away from fats and carbs. eat lots of protein foods.

try doing some plyometrics exercises.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #64
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaE92 View Post
Difference between EAS Myoplex and Whey Protein:

EAS Myoplex:
-Includes 24 different vitamins and minerals
-Combination of Whey, Soy, and Egg proteins in order to create a time release effect for optimal muscle building (Complete Protein blend)
-L-Glutamine: A conditionally essential amino acid used for faster recovery
-Brown Rice Syrup: Complex Carbohydrate used to curb hunger
-Fiber: Also used to curb hunger

EAS 100% Whey Protein:
-Includes simple and complex BCCA amino acids from milk sources
-Lacks amino acids present in Egg and Soy proteins

Your fiance' should try Myoplex light or Myoplex Carb Sense. They are excellent products and I use them for cutting and toning. When I play summer league basketball I need the boost . I used them after workotus and to replace a mid-day meal. Four smaller meals [Low carb, high protein] a day with one replaced with the Myoplex Light.
Darkcloud, your fiance should also try taking some BCAA and Glutamine. These should help minimize the "soreness" and increase recovery. Although the BCAA amounts in the myoplex should be enough for her. And for toning she should stick to using lighter weights with more reps.

As you already know, she's going to be sore in the beginning anyway. Tell her to quit being a wimp and just work through it. The more regular the routine becomes the less pain she will feel.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #65
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure which is going to explode first...your heart or your ass

I once ate McDonalds twice in one day and I have never felt so sick.That food will kill you, literally. Come to think of it, a few years back I bet a buddy $200 he couldn't eat 60 McNuggets in 60 minutes. He got to 57 before he started to turn bright red He gave up at that point, and I'm fairly certain he would have gone into cardiac arrest had he made it to 60.
He ran right to the office bathroom and was in there almost all day Rather than add insult to injury I let him keep his cash.
I got a craving for Jack in the Box tacos about a year out of college. It was the first fast food I had eaten since I left. I felt miserable for about 3 hours afterwards. So much grease.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #66
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Creatine works fine in any form. The idea behind cycling it is not to reduce any kind of harmful side effects, because none exist. The idea is to attempt to boost the rate at which your body absorbs creatine, to prevent diminishing returns.

The big thing to remember about Myoplex is that it's very caloric, and high in carbs. I would only use it pre workout, or possibly post workout. So, use in moderation there. Pure protein (of any type) is better to use throughout the day, so you can decide whether or not you want carbs, and how much you want. IMO, better to use whole foods than shakes anyways. I would only use them pre- and post- workout, where it's important that you get a shot of protein quickly.
Appreciate 0