BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board It really is location, location, location

10-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #243
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

What, there are Mexicans in CA???

Run Silent can I come crop-share ginseng???
      10-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #244
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

Almost forgot the Asians, basically just Mexicans and Asians in CA.

Which reminds me, the best food in CA is that Mongolian BBQ! Oh I love me some noodles. Best noodles I had were actually in WA though. Guess they got the better Asians.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17875.50
      10-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #245
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Can't buy anything in Boston area nowadays. Need at least 1 mil for something nice and at least 500k for something decent outside of Boston.
I remember my dad used to laugh at his friends buying shitty houses near Boston for like 150-300k back in the days, now all those people are millionaires. Shit even bad neighborhoods around Boston are very expensive, close to a million bucks for some trashed rental 2-3 family. Its amazing how all the poor people who own those properties all of a sudden got rich out of nothing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:34 PM   #246
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Can't buy anything in Boston area nowadays. Need at least 1 mil for something nice and at least 500k for something decent outside of Boston.
I remember my dad used to laugh at his friends buying shitty houses near Boston for like 150-300k back in the days, now all those people are millionaires. Shit even bad neighborhoods around Boston are very expensive, close to a million bucks for some trashed rental 2-3 family. Its amazing how all the poor people who own those properties all of a sudden got rich out of nothing.
I remember back in the 70's my Dad packed us in the station wagon to drive down to World's End by Hingham because he saw in the paper there was a house for sale there for $100k and he had to see what a $100k house looked like. It was a large, brick colonial on the water. Nice house with a dock and the whole nine yards. I'm sure that same house today would go for several million at least.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:39 PM   #247
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Almost forgot the Asians, basically just Mexicans and Asians in CA.

Which reminds me, the best food in CA is that Mongolian BBQ! Oh I love me some noodles. Best noodles I had were actually in WA though. Guess they got the better Asians.
Oh I miss Mongolian beef! it's not the same here in OH. just like Mexican food. it's texmex vs actual authentic Mexican food in Cali
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-17-2019, 11:39 PM   #248
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:
I remember back in the 70's my Dad packed us in the station wagon to drive down to World's End by Hingham because he saw in the paper there was a house for sale there for $100k and he had to see what a $100k house looked like. It was a large, brick colonial on the water. Nice house with a dock and the whole nine yards. I'm sure that same house today would go for several million at least.
In 70 my dad stretched himself for a 30 year mortgage on a $28k home, paying $106/month

When I bought the E90 I spent more than that, and he let me know!
      10-18-2019, 12:16 AM   #249
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
It's funny you bring up thesmokingun and in general the better than thou attitude you see in CA (and other big cities like NY etc). I have come across plenty of creepy hick towns all over CA especially northern CA.
Oh yeah we have plenty of creeps. basically if there’s any f-Ed up story on local news, chances are it’s out in Antioch, but national news its usually somewhere in FL. Stereotypes sometimes end up being true..

Quote:
My friend with the $500k fixer upper thinks he's so evolved living in CA. I'm like dude, I've been to your house, I know where you live. There's nothing around except farms and the Mexicans who farm them. The center of town is basically Walmart.
what city is this and how the hell did he over pay like that? Sounds like Central Valley so should be cheaper than that.

Quote:
As for food, we had some good food in CA but I find the food on all our trips west kinda boring. A WHOLE lot of Mexican food and that's about it. I found the food up the east coast much better.
Wrong tour guide? Best Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, Persian, Indian, Mexican, Korean, and CA/French style fine dining in the country. I cede American comfort food, South American/Caribbean and all styles of American bbq to other places - we lack that for sure.

Quote:
We were all over CA but spent the most time around Sacramento/SF/Napa, Monterey, Santa Barbara and San Diego (BTW what was suppose to be a like 3 hour drive from Santa Barbara to San Diego ended up taking 7-8 hours with traffic). I've been to LA before, didn't really spend anymore time there this go around as it's not my thing.
You should punch whoever said SD to SB is a 3 hour drive. SD to LA is barely that on a good day.

Quote:
I'm not saying everything in CA is a horrible pos. What I am saying is value for money wise there's just sooooo many other places I would rather live. If I was forced to live in CA I would probably choose the outskirts around San Diego. That was probably our favorite area.
That’s cool - I was just being overly sarcastic to your CA diss as a Floridian. I couldn’t deal with living there either so guess we’re both in our proper places
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:28 AM   #250
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Its a condo, what are your typical bills at your house?? The HOA are covers all of mine except my electric bill. There's a pool here, elevator, porter who mows/gardens/etc daily and capital improvements (eg 100k+ this year spent on roofing/gutters/stucco damage). It's expensive but ultimately not much different when comparing the expenses involved in owning a home if I was paying for all of those services separately
Interesting, lets share some experiences caused by different nations: Here also all listed things covered and hence I have no parking space into the garage, I hadn't to pay fees for it. My monthly fee is around 250 bucks (converted) and this depends mainly on used water and heating. Excluded here also electric and phone/internetcable.
Did you receive some bonus in any way because you are member of the HOA board? Are you members extra insured for decisions made in the name of the community? Have you an extra contracted company for managing legal things, care of porters and other stuff or do you do that for yourselves?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #251
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am talking more like 90s. Anyone could afford a house back then. Today my hedge fund buddies can't afford to buy a house close to Boston. Its nuts
I am looking to upsize and it's pretty depressing thinking you can buy a mansion in some other state or a shed here lol. I remember there was an article how a single outdoor parking space in Boston sold for like 600-700k

Ps. I heard Harlem is a prime location nowadays too
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #252
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
I am talking more like 90s. Anyone could afford a house back then. Today my hedge fund buddies can't afford to buy a house close to Boston. Its nuts
I am looking to upsize and it's pretty depressing thinking you can buy a mansion in some other state or a shed here lol. I remember there was an article how a single outdoor parking space in Boston sold for like 600-700k

Ps. I heard Harlem is a prime location nowadays too
I hear you. Back in '98 my ex and I bought a nice 3bdr on an acre n Taunton. We split and she sold it in 2004 or so for twice what we paid for it. Prices had doubled in just those few years. And that was friggin' Taunton.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #253
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:

You could be my tenant farmer.

You could borrow the 360 on occasion to go and get corn for the furnace.

Rmtt8206.00
      10-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #254
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Can I start YESTERDAY???
      10-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #255
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I hear you. Back in '98 my ex and I bought a nice 3bdr on an acre n Taunton. We split and she sold it in 2004 or so for twice what we paid for it. Prices had doubled in just those few years. And that was friggin' Taunton.
Unfortunately I was too young back then. My dad bought a property in Quincy I think in 98, paid 125 and shortly after sold it for 250, now those townhouses are about 450k. Then bought a house for 400, few years later sold for 550, now same house is 700-750. Then he divorced and his wife took every penny
Many people who were just few years older then me and skipped college, instead went straight to work are already retired, while our generation went to college and now work 9 to 5 jobs to pay the bills....its funny
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #256
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can I start YESTERDAY???
I know you are from the 'Nard - so I feel obliged to let you know it was 31* this morning at my home.

Just to fully disclose the location.

vreihen1614889.50
      10-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #257
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
Can I start YESTERDAY???
I know you are from the 'Nard - so I feel obliged to let you know it was 31* this morning at my home.

31C? I can work shirtless since it's away from the city
      10-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #258
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
31C? I can work shirtless since it's away from the city
31F, my dear sir. -1C.

We are expecting light snow on Sunday.
      10-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #259
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:

It was great...wasn't it? When I left to go to the gym, it was reading 38°F on the dash.

In-laws have a chance of snow this weekend...so we may head up that way for the hell of it. I'm a "hot-natured" person anyways....and before anyone comments I'm not talking about personality!
      10-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #260
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Oh yeah we have plenty of creeps. basically if there’s any f-Ed up story on local news, chances are it’s out in Antioch, but national news its usually somewhere in FL. Stereotypes sometimes end up being true..

what city is this and how the hell did he over pay like that? Sounds like Central Valley so should be cheaper than that.
Dixon I believe

Quote:
Wrong tour guide? Best Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, Persian, Indian, Mexican, Korean, and CA/French style fine dining in the country. I cede American comfort food, South American/Caribbean and all styles of American bbq to other places - we lack that for sure.
Dunno just picked random places based on online reviews. Typical "normal" places we are not into the high end horty torty type places.

Quote:
You should punch whoever said SD to SB is a 3 hour drive. SD to LA is barely that on a good day.
It was actually just apple maps or whatever. I just happened to do the research at night when there was no traffic so I guess that's what it estimated at the time I did the calculation. I guess it ended up being for the better because had it told me the real time we would of skipped San Diego and it was our favorite.

Quote:
That’s cool - I was just being overly sarcastic to your CA diss as a Floridian. I couldn’t deal with living there either so guess we’re both in our proper places
We have been to a lot of places and I don't think I could live permanantley anywhere else. Also I'm talking about the part of FL I live in. Probably anywhere along the coast would be fine, but once you go inland or some places around the pan handle it gets way to hillbilly for me. As for Miami... I may dislike it as much as CA.

I guess if money were no concern I would have a big ol mansion on Palm Beach Island and maybe a nice cabin in the mountains somewhere in TN or the Carolinas to do pretend winter for a week or two. Or I really liked Wyoming, but that may be a little too cold for me. Maybe I would go to my WY cabin during the summer.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #261
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Dixon I believe

Wait, your buddy bought a crap fixer-upper in Dixon,CA for 500k? That's the next town over, I have been looking at houses there, and I don't know what fixer-upper he paid 500k for or why because there are plenty of nice houses that don't need any remodeling for less than 500k. Curious if it's as bad as you make it out to be. I could def see him paying that in Vacaville or a little farther down 80 towards the Bay.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #262
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Wait, your buddy bought a crap fixer-upper in Dixon,CA for 500k? That's the next town over, I have been looking at houses there, and I don't know what fixer-upper he paid 500k for or why because there are plenty of nice houses that don't need any remodeling for less than 500k. Curious if it's as bad as you make it out to be. I could def see him paying that in Vacaville or a little farther down 80 towards the Bay.
It's a fixer upper in my book. It is very large, but really no land, small yard. Kitchen and baths all outdated, issues with AC, wiring seemed to be all messed up etc. From the outside it looks fine, I'm not sure he knew the issues when he bought it. He looked for a while said everything would sell for over asking as soon as it came on the market.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #263
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
How is UncleWede going to harvest the ginseng wearing arctic survival mittens?????

Run Silent15127.00
UncleWede17875.50
      10-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #264
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
How is UncleWede going to harvest the ginseng wearing arctic survival mittens?????

They are getting more tactile with every season.

I took my first steps towards acclimation this past weekend. IT was 39 in the morning and rose to 52 during the day at my dad's cabin. I managed the second day to work in just shorts and a t-shirt., but it was 6300' and I was doing a lot of physical labor.

Plus, all we had was leaded coffee
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
vreihen1614889.50