BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Replacing Stock Subwoofers

03-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
Johnski77
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 30i

Replacing Stock Subwoofers

Hi, anyone knows how to remove the stock subwoofer? Anyone tried it before? There seem to be very little info out in the internet on speaker upgrade for G29. Appreciate your help here. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Nothing that I have found as yet. It is on my to do list. Being honest it looks like you will have to remove the interior side panels behind the doors then move on the the back panel. It will be an involved process but not require any special tools other than torx and trim tools. If I get round to it before anyone else I'll put a few photos together.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
Johnski77
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerOneNI View Post
Nothing that I have found as yet. It is on my to do list. Being honest it looks like you will have to remove the interior side panels behind the doors then move on the the back panel. It will be an involved process but not require any special tools other than torx and trim tools. If I get round to it before anyone else I'll put a few photos together.
Yeah, do update if you managed to replace them. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #4
OmegaSupreme74
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Gladden, a German speaker company makes direct replacement for the two stock 8 inch woofers. Got a 500 watt JL audio pushing both and it sounds awesome. I think is was like 549 for the pair.
Appreciate 1
Mixitt372.00
      03-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme74 View Post
Gladden, a German speaker company makes direct replacement for the two stock 8 inch woofers. Got a 500 watt JL audio pushing both and it sounds awesome. I think is was like 549 for the pair.
I've been debating between the Focals and the Audisons. I don't plan on upgrading the amps, just speakers and subs. It's on the to do list but the tyres will need changed soon so that will be the priority.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #6
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
I've been debating between the Focals and the Audisons. I don't plan on upgrading the amps, just speakers and subs. It's on the to do list but the tyres will need changed soon so that will be the priority.
I know nothing about Audison, but I do when it comes to Focals. I've been building high end speakers in exotic enclosures as a hobby for decades and many of my drivers are Focal, kevlar cones, HT fronts and center speaker. I use Accuton tweeters on some speakers.

MUCH of the quality of the outcome depends on the car's enclosure design. You go screwing around with it and you may not like the results. You should select a speaker that is best suited for the car's speaker alignment whether it be infinite, closed or bass reflex. IOW if it aint broke...... There are speaker design programs where you feed the driver's specs and it gives you the particulars about the enclosure design.

Attached pic is a HT front main sitting on a massive 15" sub that gives clean output down to 15 Hz in the process of a room re-design. Cabinet is 1" MDF glued to 1/4" black walnut furniture grade plywood.

One supplier I've been happy with regarding my HT tweeks. https://meniscusaudio.com/
Attached Images

Last edited by Mixitt; 03-06-2021 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
I know nothing about Audison, but I do when it comes to Focals. I've been building high end speakers in exotic enclosures as a hobby for decades and many of my drivers are Focal, kevlar cones, HT fronts and center speaker. I use Accuton tweeters on some speakers.

MUCH of the quality of the outcome depends on the car's enclosure design. You go screwing around with it and you may not like the results. You should select a speaker that is best suited for the car's speaker alignment whether it be infinite, closed or bass reflex. IOW if it aint broke...... There are speaker design programs where you feed the driver's specs and it gives you the particulars about the enclosure design.

Attached pic is a HT front main sitting on a massive 15" sub that gives clean output down to 15 Hz in the process of a room re-design. Cabinet is 1" MDF glued to 1/4" black walnut furniture grade plywood.

One supplier I've been happy with regarding my HT tweeks. https://meniscusaudio.com/
In my past life (12 years ago) I used to work in car audio doing custom fabrication. We mainly used JL Audio so I do appreciate the nuances of speaker and enclosure design. I don't keep cars long enough anymore to contemplate doing a full custom build so the purpose built replacements from Focal, Audison and others are an appealing alternatives but I'm more swayed towards Focal as my previous experience with them was hugely positive.

The upgrade is a "like to do" not a "must do". I will certainly do a post/guide if or when I get round to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #8
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
In my past life (12 years ago) I used to work in car audio doing custom fabrication. We mainly used JL Audio so I do appreciate the nuances of speaker and enclosure design. I don't keep cars long enough anymore to contemplate doing a full custom build so the purpose built replacements from Focal, Audison and others are an appealing alternatives but I'm more swayed towards Focal as my previous experience with them was hugely positive.

The upgrade is a "like to do" not a "must do". I will certainly do a post/guide if or when I get round to it.
With advancements in car audio and my age <cough> my days of ripping out factory stuff and installing my own faves are over.

I did just replace my HT left/right rears using jatoba (brazilian cherry) lumber. Pirates of the Caribbean never sounded so good.

If you do a retrofit I'd like an update please.

Without a full spec report this is meaningless to me. At least give me the Fs. https://www.amazon.com/Audison-200mm...rs=12248031011
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #9
335OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Did you change the speakers? (stock? not HK?)
For the AMP, JBL? direct replacement too?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
cilas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i (G29)

And what about the rattle? OMG how awful is the bass on this car. The 330i is so much more decent.
Changing the subwoofers would improve it or are the rattles coming from the backpanel?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #11
OmegaSupreme74
Rep

I replaced my subs with audio frogs that required making new mounts but well worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
I replaced my subs with audio frogs that required making new mounts but well worth the effort.
So did it solve the rattle (new subs)? Dis you add any sound deadening / absorbent materials?

I have had the G29 into the dealer bitching about the sound from the subs several times now ... still not fixed!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16540.50
      08-15-2021, 01:51 PM   #13
OmegaSupreme74
Rep

Quote:
So did it solve the rattle (new subs)? Dis you add any sound deadening / absorbent materials?

I have had the G29 into the dealer bitching about the sound from the subs several times now ... still not fixed!

Yes…they completely remade all the baffling and sound deadened the entire back wall. Those paper stock woofers were some of the worst I have ever seen. Spent about 1300 for the labor, two 8 inch audio frog woofers and the 750w mono digital JL amp.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #14
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Yes…they completely remade all the baffling and sound deadened the entire back wall. Those paper stock woofers were some of the worst I have ever seen. Spent about 1300 for the labor, two 8 inch audio frog woofers and the 750w mono digital JL amp.
Unless you have the correct alignment aka well designed enclosure, an 8" woofer won't gain you much bass.

Here ya go https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-21-subwoofer/
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #15
DM6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i Frozen Gray

All I know is...I have to turn the volume up to 100% when doing 75+ mph with the top down.

BMW did not engineer this well. The audio is my only complaint about this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 01:38 PM   #16
Ross Z4M40i
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z40 M40i

Garage List
2019 Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2023 BMW S 1000 XR  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnski77 View Post
Hi, anyone knows how to remove the stock subwoofer? Anyone tried it before? There seem to be very little info out in the internet on speaker upgrade for G29. Appreciate your help here. Thanks guys
Just wondering: are you all dissatisfied with the standard speakers and audio sound, or does it concern the Harman Kardon upgrade as well? Personally I don't feel the need to change anything to my Harman Kardon set, I'm quite satisfied? 😃
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #17
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 View Post
All I know is...I have to turn the volume up to 100% when doing 75+ mph with the top down.

BMW did not engineer this well. The audio is my only complaint about this car.
There is too much ambient noise in our fabric top convertible to make any audio upgrade worth it. By the time you turn up the volume to hear squat you've got nothing but a lot of rattles induced by a woofer which only adds to the wind and road noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #18
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
There is too much ambient noise in our fabric top convertible to make any audio upgrade worth it. By the time you turn up the volume to hear squat you've got nothing but a lot of rattles induced by a woofer which only adds to the wind and road noise.
I opted for the Executive package for the hi end HK system. I do not register any noise or rattles and have been quite pleased with it and the sound.
Appreciate 1
Kwajtrader1087.50
      08-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #19
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
I opted for the Executive package for the hi end HK system. I do not register any noise or rattles and have been quite pleased with it and the sound.
"Sounds great".

I've dialed in some boost to the bass. If volume is up it gets boomy, not clean. Then again I'm spoiled. I have 2 home made 15" subs rockin' the home theater. It's about deep tight bass with no cabinet or room rattle. If you're into this stuff check out the Anthem MRX receivers with their superbly engineered high tech room correction mike/software. The custom tweeking of your room's valleys and peaks is unreal. https://www.anthemav.com/products-ar...pe=av-receiver

Sorry....I too often go off topic!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #20
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
"Sounds great".

I've dialed in some boost to the bass. If volume is up it gets boomy, not clean. Then again I'm spoiled. I have 2 home made 15" subs rockin' the home theater. It's about deep tight bass with no cabinet or room rattle. If you're into this stuff check out the Anthem MRX receivers with their superbly engineered high tech room correction mike/software. The custom tweeking of your room's valleys and peaks is unreal. https://www.anthemav.com/products-ar...pe=av-receiver

Sorry....I too often go off topic!
No worries and thanks for the link. I'm sure they are fabulous receivers, but I dropped off the tech bandwagon a decade ago to save my wallet. The Yamaha has been rocking well for a decade.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #21
DM6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i Frozen Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Z4M40i View Post
Just wondering: are you all dissatisfied with the standard speakers and audio sound, or does it concern the Harman Kardon upgrade as well? Personally I don't feel the need to change anything to my Harman Kardon set, I'm quite satisfied? 😃
Bought my Z4 slightly used as a dealer demo, so I didn't get to pick options, and had to settle for the stock speaker system.

I'm sure the HK system makes all the difference in the world.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:35 PM   #22
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Z4M40i View Post
Bought my Z4 slightly used as a dealer demo, so I didn't get to pick options, and had to settle for the stock speaker system.

I'm sure the HK system makes all the difference in the world.
Meh.. it's still awful. We had an m235i convertible before the z4 and the HK audio in that car was far better. (I only mention it because it is possible to get better sound in a convertible)

That being said - has anyone performed a full speaker upgrade on their Z's? Like one of the BAV Sound drop in kits. Curious if it's worth the cost for these cars.
///M TOWN16540.50