BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum I want a drop top manual: Z4 or 718 GTS?

12-26-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I want a drop top manual: Z4 or 718 GTS?

I have always wanted a convertible with a manual transmission as my weekend car. I had a 340z which I sold during the pandemic because I wasnt driving it enough and I have really regretted that decision. Anyway with the recent annoucement of the Z4 being ready to be sold with a manual transmission and I got really excited. I think it looks fabulous and has plenty of power.

But BMW wont let us option it with things like merino leather or a bowers and wilkins sound system. So then I started looking at Porsche and that you can build a la carte with everything. the porsche would cost ~25-30k more than the z4, but it also would hold its value really well.

whatever I get, I plan to buy not lease. I am also an average driver. I dont speed, or show off or do any thing that isnt safe. What I'd like to do is buy this car and then take some driving lessons and then maybe go to a track someday and try to do some stuff there. That is to say, everyone says porsche is in another league and more refined and all that jazz, but is that something I'll notice? I like to drink red wine but if you blind folded me and asked to pick between a 10 dollar and 100 dollar bottle i'm pretty sure i'd fail that test.

I know this is the z4 forum and I love the BMWs we have. I'm wondering if anyone else is considering or cross shopping both these models now that BMW announced a manual transmission?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 05:22 PM   #2
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I have always wanted a convertible with a manual transmission as my weekend car. I had a 340z which I sold during the pandemic because I wasnt driving it enough and I have really regretted that decision. Anyway with the recent annoucement of the Z4 being ready to be sold with a manual transmission and I got really excited. I think it looks fabulous and has plenty of power.

But BMW wont let us option it with things like merino leather or a bowers and wilkins sound system. So then I started looking at Porsche and that you can build a la carte with everything. the porsche would cost ~25-30k more than the z4, but it also would hold its value really well.

whatever I get, I plan to buy not lease. I am also an average driver. I dont speed, or show off or do any thing that isnt safe. What I'd like to do is buy this car and then take some driving lessons and then maybe go to a track someday and try to do some stuff there. That is to say, everyone says porsche is in another league and more refined and all that jazz, but is that something I'll notice? I like to drink red wine but if you blind folded me and asked to pick between a 10 dollar and 100 dollar bottle i'm pretty sure i'd fail that test.

I know this is the z4 forum and I love the BMWs we have. I'm wondering if anyone else is considering or cross shopping both these models now that BMW announced a manual transmission?
I personally think that the Vernasca leather is pretty nice but you can always reupholster the leather seats at a shop that specializes in this type of work and then go to a auto audio shop and upgrade the sound system in the Z4 for a lot less than the cost of a Porsche.
Appreciate 3
Kevin45E281.00
StanDiego6248.50
thereef5101165.00
      12-26-2023, 05:22 PM   #3
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:

Search the forum. You'll discover it's been discussed a great deal with the majority opting for the Z4, primarily for better ride quality, cheaper standard maintenance, availability, and cost difference.

Compare the Z4 M40i to a comparably powered and equipped 718 (GTS 4.0) and you'll see the value in the M40i even considering depreciation. You can buy a new M40i for the same cost as a 5 year old GTS but if money is no object . . .
Appreciate 3
Kevin45E281.00
823BMW198.00
      12-26-2023, 06:13 PM   #4
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

Agree with StanDiego, plus there is more interior space in the Z4. Another thing that is important to me is independent crash testing (Z4 is 5 star with Euro NCAP). I’ve not been able to find the same for the 718
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/bmw/z4/38091
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2023, 06:22 PM   #5
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Where I live you will see Porsches allover the place. I would say that they are a dime a dozen if they weren’t so expensive. 🤪

The Z4 is the exact opposite, there are very few around and it is a head turner!
Appreciate 3
      12-26-2023, 06:22 PM   #6
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I cross shopped my M40i with a Boxster S. Ended up going with the Z4 because while I liked the Boxster, it just wasn’t worth the almost $25K premium over the Z4 by the time I optioned them to be closely matched.

Add in the fact that I got 3.5% off MSRP on my Z4 and would have had to pay over MSRP for the Porsche, the delta was closer to $35K. Wait times on the Boxster were really long too.

Can’t go wrong with either. Guess it just depends what you value. I’d definitely consider a Porsche in the future, but the Z4 hit the sweet spot for me this time around
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2023, 09:54 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

What I really want is a grand tourer with a stick shift. I had my 350z which was very stiff. I dont want that. I've been told the allure of a porsche is that its as good as a track car as it is comfortable as a daily driver. This is why I was thinking that maybe that's what accounts for the price difference between the two, given that on paper, the performance is about the same...

I've never even sat in a porsche boxter and the local dealer doesn't stock anything but cayennes. I have no clue how good/soft their 'club leather' is, or whether the burmester sound system rivals the B&W. the price difference isn't that big a deal to me. I mean it is, its not a small amount of money to sneeze at but I could swing it if I had to, if there was some performance or comfort benefit.

And I agree that the z4 is a total head turner and I love the BMW brand and want to continue to be loyal. If yall say its a great tourning weekend vehicle that wont give me a sore back, I could totally live with the vernasca leather. Thank you all for chiming in!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 11:23 PM   #8
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What I really want is a grand tourer with a stick shift.
Read some of the original reviews for the Z4 as many of the writers described it as a GT.
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2023, 11:53 PM   #9
z4forme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M4.0i

Quote:
What I really want is a grand tourer with a stick shift. I had my 350z which was very stiff. I dont want that. I've been told the allure of a porsche is that its as good as a track car as it is comfortable as a daily driver. This is why I was thinking that maybe that's what accounts for the price difference between the two, given that on paper, the performance is about the same...

I've never even sat in a porsche boxter and the local dealer doesn't stock anything but cayennes. I have no clue how good/soft their 'club leather' is, or whether the burmester sound system rivals the B&W. the price difference isn't that big a deal to me. I mean it is, its not a small amount of money to sneeze at but I could swing it if I had to, if there was some performance or comfort benefit.

And I agree that the z4 is a total head turner and I love the BMW brand and want to continue to be loyal. If yall say its a great tourning weekend vehicle that wont give me a sore back, I could totally live with the vernasca leather. Thank you all for chiming in!
The Boxster is a strong rival to the Z4. Before buying mine, I looked very closely at the new Spyder RS. I was in line then bailed after thinking through paying $40k over (and that was a deal!). My first Spyder was a 2011 and it was one of the most fun cars I have ever owned. Although it lacked power, it was as much fun as my 720s diving into the turns at Laguna. Now the Z4, and there is little to want from a power, performance and comfort perspective. Stereos in both are completely adequate. The Z4 trunk even fits my wife's mobility chair. Try doing that in a Porsche. Now, in regards to being a grand tourer, no. Some sports cars are just plain sports cars and this is one of them. If you really want a grand tourer, move up to one of the other M models. I saw an M3 coupe with a rare 6 speed with carbon everywhere, amd regular seats. It was gorgeous in the dravit gray and brown interior. Price was $92k. Car is still for sale. Sitting in it felt more like a grand tourer.

Last edited by z4forme; 12-27-2023 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2023, 12:05 AM   #10
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4forme View Post
I saw an M4 coupe with a rare 6 speed with carbon everywhere, amd regular seats. It was gorgeous in the dravit gray and brown interior. Price was $92k. It sold pretty quickly. Sitting in it felt more like a grand tourer.
When I decided I wanted a convertible with a MT, I looked thoroughly through the BMW configurator, afaik you cant get a m4 with a stick anymore. If I could, I'd probably be heavily comparing that one with this one, albeit I hate the new grill redesign on the m4.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2023, 12:54 AM   #11
Wynnsiensheng
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
When I decided I wanted a convertible with a MT, I looked thoroughly through the BMW configurator, afaik you cant get a m4 with a stick anymore. If I could, I'd probably be heavily comparing that one with this one, albeit I hate the new grill redesign on the m4.
Based on the M4 coupe that I owned, it has far more of a grand tourer feel to it than the Z4. Whether it can meet your other requirements vis a vis stick shift etc, I have no idea
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 02:41 AM   #12
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
I haven’t driven a 4 convertible and this may not apply to you but FWIW, I’ve been disappointed by every 4-seater convertible I’ve owned or driven in one particular aspect. I can’t comfortably drive them in cold weather. Though quiet and comfortable with the top up, my philosophy is to never drive my Z4 when I can’t put the top down. I live in the Midwest with four seasons. I can and regularly do drive comfortably in temperatures as low as 40°F with the top down wearing a cap and mid-weight jacket, seat heater on and heat directed toward lower and middle. I’ve never found a 4-seater capable of that.
Appreciate 4
      12-27-2023, 06:51 AM   #13
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Consider taking (if it can be found) a local used/new Z4 for a test drive. While it would be the auto, it would give you a great feel for what the Z4 would be like.
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2023, 08:18 AM   #14
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
Consider taking (if it can be found) a local used/new Z4 for a test drive. While it would be the auto, it would give you a great feel for what the Z4 would be like.
very good idea, let me talk with my local dealer see if they are planning on getting any of them in and also start pre-negotiating with them on an allocation and price. i'm in no rush to get this but would like it by my birthday of next year.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2023, 02:29 PM   #15
FrostyWinters
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: S2000

Are you talking about a new 4.0 GTS? I called around in October and none of my area Porsche dealers are taking deposits on that anymore. This discussion is rather moot if there's no GTS to be ordered, unless you want an EV one.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 02:34 PM   #16
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyWinters View Post
Are you talking about a new 4.0 GTS? I called around in October and none of my area Porsche dealers are taking deposits on that anymore. This discussion is rather moot if there's no GTS to be ordered, unless you want an EV one.
Lol I have zero interest in any EV car that’s why I’m in the market now for a manual. Did the dealers say why you can’t get a GTS? Is it being replaced?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 05:10 PM   #17
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

And I agree that the z4 is a total head turner and I love the BMW brand and want to continue to be loyal. If yall say its a great tourning weekend vehicle that wont give me a sore back, I could totally live with the vernasca leather. Thank you all for chiming in![/QUOTE]

I will give my two cents on this i have had mine just over 2 years and 30k miles and I can’t wait to order a manual my longest drive was Ashland Ohio all the way back to home in Vermont just over 700 miles non stop other than for fuel and some dinner a few hours from home. Never once was I uncomfortable. I regularly drive 150 - 200 mile trips and never want to get out of the seat. It is just so much fun to drive and what a blast it will be to soon have it with a manual.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      12-27-2023, 05:13 PM   #18
FrostyWinters
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: S2000

Quote:
Lol I have zero interest in any EV car that’s why I’m in the market now for a manual. Did the dealers say why you can’t get a GTS? Is it being replaced?
Yes. MY24 is the last year for ICE 718s. MY25 all 718s are going to be EVs. Guess the interest in the ICE 718s shot up after Porsche announced the next gen 718 will be EVs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/porsche/718-ev

Unless you are looking for a used GTS, better start calling your Porsche dealers about securing an allocation for a new build if possible. I've given up, since I think the Z4 is a better fit for what I'm looking for. BUT if a used 4.0 GTS shows up that's around $80k in a color that doesn't make me vomit, I'd still get the GTS.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 05:32 PM   #19
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyWinters View Post
Yes. MY24 is the last year for ICE 718s. MY25 all 718s are going to be EVs. Guess the interest in the ICE 718s shot up after Porsche announced the next gen 718 will be EVs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/porsche/718-ev

Unless you are looking for a used GTS, better start calling your Porsche dealers about securing an allocation for a new build if possible. I've given up, since I think the Z4 is a better fit for what I'm looking for. BUT if a used 4.0 GTS shows up that's around $80k in a color that doesn't make me vomit, I'd still get the GTS.

welp thanks for the update. I had no idea porsche was doing this. This is the DUMBEST idea they've had. people dont even really like the taycan that much and now they're forcing more of their cars to go electric?? this just seals it for me, z4 it is...
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2024, 07:27 PM   #20
gars
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

I had both. Boxter S and Z4. Boxter is a much harsher ride, feels and drives like a sports car but for every day use on Brooklyn streets it was not pleasant. It's also a bit smaller and feels lower. My wife hated it. She is 5'10" and every time she has to get out I had to help her out of her seat. LOL. The Z4 was perfect. I drove it every day without issues. I never got tired of driving Z4, even on Brooklyn streets it was very compliant and comfortable. I am looking to get another one hoping for better lease deals.
Appreciate 4
      01-19-2024, 07:51 PM   #21
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

The Z4 and Boxster don't handle the same, largely due to engine location. The Z4 is more linear and relaxed, the Boxster will rotate on it's axis very quickly and suddenly and requires more attention. If you decide on the Boxster, get the GTS. The 4 liter flat 6 really makes the car. But, it may be too late to buy new.
Appreciate 3
      01-19-2024, 08:48 PM   #22
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Went the other way 718-S to Z4 M40i.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 5
stlcdr1014.50
RavenGX1077.50