BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum New Info on the Z4 Manual

01-14-2024, 02:14 PM   #45
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

If you are looking for a “collectible” G29 Z4, this is gonna be it…maybe. Without getting the S58 engine much of these changes are fairly minor normal production changes ie: suspension tweaks.
Question will be how having the manual with a regular BMW motor puts this into unique status on par with true M cars.

There is internet hype surrounding the car as a future classic, only time will tell.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2024, 02:39 PM   #46
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Wonder what “interior elements only with cognac” means?
Same.

Hmm, San Remo green. I don’t think that’s been confirmed yet as the other available green.
Appreciate 1
stlcdr1014.50
      01-14-2024, 03:10 PM   #47
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
If you are looking for a “collectible” G29 Z4, this is gonna be it…maybe. Without getting the S58 engine much of these changes are fairly minor normal production changes ie: suspension tweaks.
Question will be how having the manual with a regular BMW motor puts this into unique status on par with true M cars.

There is internet hype surrounding the car as a future classic, only time will tell.
Cars are not "collectibles", they are depreciating assets. Old cars may be collectible, but even that is a fickle market. If you watch the car auctions, the market right now is boomers buying the cars of their youth. Pre-war cars have become a niche and many are losing value. As boomers age out, even the 1950's are starting to lose. A numbers matching '57 Nomad is worth good money, but most Tri-5 Chevys are worth more if they've been resto-modded.

Forty years from now I expect there will be a few Gen X bidding on the few surviving Hellcats or Z06 Corvettes. There might be a few looking at Z4s but considering the age of the current buyer, it's probably not even on their radar.

The MT will demand a premium over the auto (just look at BMW sales on BaT), but for the first 10-15 years it will be just another used car. If you want to invest in a car, you need to buy it at the bottom of the depreciation curve. That should be in the late 2030s for the MT.

Z4s will be pretty rare, but not super rare. They've sold a bit over 11K through 2023. Based on the trends, they might sell another 4-5k before the end, maybe half of the MT. So they'll likely hold value a bit better than a typical 3er or 4er, but probably not M car money.
      01-14-2024, 03:24 PM   #48
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
I like that they mentioned the black badging!!! 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 03:37 PM   #49
AustinPowers007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Coupe (6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Wonder what “interior elements only with cognac” means?
That was my question as well!! What could that possibly mean? 🤔
Appreciate 2
stlcdr1014.50
      01-14-2024, 03:40 PM   #50
AustinPowers007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post

I couldn’t care less whether the Z4 M40i with manual transmission will be considered a “collectible“ or not. What I care about is whether it will be fun to drive. And there’s every reason to believe it will be!
Appreciate 4
      01-14-2024, 04:26 PM   #51
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
Cars are not "collectibles", they are depreciating assets. Old cars may be collectible, but even that is a fickle market. If you watch the car auctions, the market right now is boomers buying the cars of their youth. Pre-war cars have become a niche and many are losing value. As boomers age out, even the 1950's are starting to lose. A numbers matching '57 Nomad is worth good money, but most Tri-5 Chevys are worth more if they've been resto-modded.

Forty years from now I expect there will be a few Gen X bidding on the few surviving Hellcats or Z06 Corvettes. There might be a few looking at Z4s but considering the age of the current buyer, it's probably not even on their radar.

The MT will demand a premium over the auto (just look at BMW sales on BaT), but for the first 10-15 years it will be just another used car. If you want to invest in a car, you need to buy it at the bottom of the depreciation curve. That should be in the late 2030s for the MT.

Z4s will be pretty rare, but not super rare. They've sold a bit over 11K through 2023. Based on the trends, they might sell another 4-5k before the end, maybe half of the MT. So they'll likely hold value a bit better than a typical 3er or 4er, but probably not M car money.
I was watching an episode of Barret Jackson, there was a Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe……car sold for 35k. IMO crazy money for a platform that was not well liked. Most Solstic/Skys I see have the top up because of the awful top design for a modern car (2000’s+)

Anyways back to topic. I put “collectible” in quotes because the hype and catchy terms being thrown about regarding the addition of a manual option.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 04:28 PM   #52
Aesthete
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinPowers007 View Post
That was my question as well!! What could that possibly mean? 🤔
My first guess would be that you can only get the manual with a Cognac interior...

...except we've already seen pre-production cars with a manual and a black interior.

It's certainly odd wording.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 04:40 PM   #53
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
This image was floating around on Reddit. Allegedly what the dealers were shown.

Date on the bottom left is highly suspicious though.
What is even more interesting is in the photo it shows carbon fiber trim. I am also curious on the cognac element comment as well.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2024, 05:22 PM   #54
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My guess is that the two special MT green colors have to have the cognac interior.
Appreciate 3
      01-14-2024, 05:26 PM   #55
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
My guess is that the two special MT green colors have to have the cognac interior.

I could see that, Cognac pairs best with the green imo.
Appreciate 3
      01-14-2024, 07:28 PM   #56
MadBullogna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Wtf, why would they have both a San Remo Green & a Frozen San Remo Green (cue additional upcharge) as the exclusive MT options? Hard pass for me if that’s true. I’ll stick with Thundernight as originally planned if that occurs. Morons to bring to market two identical colors, albeit frozen vs non, IMO. Grrr.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 07:50 PM   #57
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Those greens are likely an homage to the history of ICE roadsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBullogna View Post
Wtf, why would they have both a San Remo Green & a Frozen San Remo Green (queue additional upcharge) as the exclusive MT options? Hard pass for me if that’s true. I’ll stick with Thundernight as originally planned if that occurs. Morons to bring to market two identical colors, albeit frozen vs non, IMO. Grrr.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
StanDiego6248.50
Tuxedo1409.00
stlcdr1014.50
      01-14-2024, 07:51 PM   #58
n55f15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

The image has a typo. "Rear axel" Not sure that would slide
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 07:56 PM   #59
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Wtf, why would they have both a San Remo Green & a Frozen San Remo Green (queue additional upcharge) as the exclusive MT options? Hard pass for me if that’s true. I’ll stick with Thundernight as originally planned if that occurs. Morons to bring to market two identical colors, albeit frozen vs non, IMO. Grrr.
It’s kind of ridiculous, especially since most of the colors are already darker than they should be. AMG has a frozen green SL, so perhaps it’s the trendy color. They should completely revamp the color scheme but they won’t
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2024, 07:58 PM   #60
MadBullogna
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Those greens are likely an homage to the history of ICE roadsters.
100% get, and appreciate. But to ‘pigeon-hole’ themselves, and buyers, into nearly identical colors, (assuming both San Remo), one Frozen, one gloss, is a fubar imo. Granted, (assuming the slide is even accurate), there’s nothing about an additional added color avail across both AT & MT….but if not, I’ll personally be quite sad. I don’t do dark greens, and certainly not a frozen supplement on top of the suspected MT supplement. That’s a price ceiling I’m just not willing to venture into. Hell, just arrange individual colors if they want to get to that point as far as I’m concerned. /shrug
Appreciate 2
ebirotedu1460.00
      01-15-2024, 02:27 AM   #61
Wynnsiensheng
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
100% get, and appreciate. But to ‘pigeon-hole’ themselves, and buyers, into nearly identical colors, (assuming both San Remo), one Frozen, one gloss, is a fubar imo. Granted, (assuming the slide is even accurate), there’s nothing about an additional added color avail across both AT & MT….but if not, I’ll personally be quite sad. I don’t do dark greens, and certainly not a frozen supplement on top of the suspected MT supplement. That’s a price ceiling I’m just not willing to venture into. Hell, just arrange individual colors if they want to get to that point as far as I’m concerned. /shrug
Doesn’t it say that all colors are available but the greens are unique to Mt?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-15-2024, 05:22 AM   #62
MadBullogna
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnsiensheng View Post
Doesn’t it say that all colors are available but the greens are unique to Mt?
Indeed. I’m just miffed the two MT-exclusive colors are potentially the same, albeit frozen vs non. It’s just lazy & unimaginative IMO. It’s nothing new of course, many manufacturers do similar crap, and I despise anytime one does stupid crap like that. (Same as gatekeeping whatever ‘interior elements’, whatever that may be, to a sole interior color trim).

Still holding out hope there’s a third color added available across both trannies, as there needs to be a fun/loud color so badly.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2024, 05:54 AM   #63
Wynnsiensheng
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Indeed. I’m just miffed the two MT-exclusive colors are potentially the same, albeit frozen vs non. It’s just lazy & unimaginative IMO. It’s nothing new of course, many manufacturers do similar crap, and I despise anytime one does stupid crap like that. (Same as gatekeeping whatever ‘interior elements’, whatever that may be, to a sole interior color trim).

Still holding out hope there’s a third color added available across both trannies, as there needs to be a fun/loud color so badly.
I must admit that I would have preferred sunset orange, metallic and frozen. But so many different tastes, it’s hard to please all.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2024, 08:52 AM   #64
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnsiensheng View Post
I must admit that I would have preferred sunset orange, metallic and frozen. But so many different tastes, it’s hard to please all.
I agree, a beautiful orange would be totally appropriate for a roadster like the G29.

Perhaps one day BMW will wakeup and realize that they could really attract more Porsche customers if they simply broadened their color palette. I guess that their research says the G29's customer base is older males and that because of our age we want boring, conservative colors. I know that in my case the exact opposite is true!

I would also like to see BMW offer a blue top for all of their convertible lineup. Florida is a convertible market and I constantly see various Mercedes models on the road with blue tops. Years ago BMW did offer a blue soft top as I had one on my 1994 Samoa Blue 325i and I constantly received compliments because it was a beautiful color combination.

Here is the color selection currently offered to buyers of the Boxster S.
A picture says a thousand words!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-15-2024, 09:19 AM   #65
MadBullogna
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that Ruby Star Neo looks intriguing, almost fuchsia. While not my cup of tea, that’s what the Z4 needs, some loud options. Add Sakhir Orange, São Paulo Yellow, and Isle of Man Green, and take my extra $5k, lol.
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2024, 12:02 PM   #66
AustinPowers007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I agree, a beautiful orange would be totally appropriate for a roadster like the G29.

Perhaps one day BMW will wakeup and realize that they could really attract more Porsche customers if they simply broadened their color palette. I guess that their research says the G29's customer base is older males and that because of our age we want boring, conservative colors. I know that in my case the exact opposite is true!

I would also like to see BMW offer a blue top for all of their convertible lineup. Florida is a convertible market and I constantly see various Mercedes models on the road with blue tops. Years ago BMW did offer a blue soft top as I had one on my 1994 Samoa Blue 325i and I constantly received compliments because it was a beautiful color combination.

Here is the color selection currently offered to buyers of the Boxster S.
Love that Shark Blue paint on the Boxster! BMW should offer something similar on the Z4. Is it possible to special order a color for a (steep) fee?
Appreciate 1