BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Sous vide kit recommendations, please.

08-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Sous vide kit recommendations, please.

We have no place to put a grill at our house. At least not without having to walk through most of the house to get between the grill and the kitchen. But this past weekend I brought a couple of nice ribeyes to a friend's house and he grilled them to near perfection. Made me realize I'd like to eat steak more than the few times a year I get one at a restaurant.

Soooooo... I'm thinking sous vide. Seems easy enough and virtually fool proof (and I can be pretty foolish when it comes to cooking). But there seems to be a gazillion companies making the kits. I know there was a sous vide discussion here once and a few folks here use them, so I'm looking for recommendations for brands and any "gotcha's" to avoid. Money is not a big issue as they don't appear to be that pricey to begin with.

Also, we have a large pot we could use, but are the sous vide containers (plastic?) better? Or doesn't it matter? And any advice about zip-lock bags vs vacuum wrap?

Lastly, as I stated, no grill. Are sous vide steaks finished in a skillet just as good? We (sadly) have an electric stove, if that matters.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

We have the Breville Joule. Works great with the WiFi/Bluetooth app on your phone. Large pot is required but you have that. As for bags, I use a simple ziplock bag, submerge to get the air out, seal and then I use a clip to hold the bag at the top of the pot. No need for vacuum bags in my opinion.

As for finishing, we do have a grill so a quick sear there is all we need. I know folks use a hot skillet on a cooktop as well but have no experience with that. Imagine a hot skillet with a little butter or oil would be excellent as well though good ventilation is a must!
Appreciate 2
M_Six16963.50
Murf99314114.00
      08-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
We have the Breville Joule. Works great with the WiFi/Bluetooth app on your phone. Large pot is required but you have that. As for bags, I use a simple ziplock bag, submerge to get the air out, seal and then I use a clip to hold the bag at the top of the pot. No need for vacuum bags in my opinion.

As for finishing, we do have a grill so a quick sear there is all we need. I know folks use a hot skillet on a cooktop as well but have no experience with that. Imagine a hot skillet with a little butter or oil would be excellent as well though good ventilation is a must!
How long does it take to get a filet or strip to internal temp of 125 or so using this method?
      08-09-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks. And yeah, the searing process in the house has me thinking how much we can get away with as our smoke detectors are hypersensitive. Big price difference between the stainless steel version and the polycarb version. Is there an advantage to the stainless version?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 10:37 PM   #5
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

I went with the anova, reasonable priced and works great.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:08 AM   #6
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Anova 1200 watt unit from Costco.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #7
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
How long does it take to get a filet or strip to internal temp of 125 or so using this method?
For a filet, around 1.5 inches thick, it will take 1.25 hours which includes getting the water to temp. You get your perfect temp every time, prep other foods while filets are in the water and then a quick sear on the grill, super easy. Never put a strip in the sous vide but assuming a similar 1.5 inches thick I would assume a similar time in the water. Thinner would be less time. We have used it for chicken breasts as well.

You do all you seasoning before putting the steaks in the bag. We stick to simple salt and pepper but any seasoning/marinade works.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410981.00
Murf99314114.00
M_Six16963.50
      08-10-2021, 06:42 AM   #8
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I have been using the Anova WiFi and have been happy with both the unit and app. I would wait for an Anova sale before purchasing. The only negative for sous vide is the time it takes for some recipes that may require planning and starting the day before, e.g. 12 hour cook time requires getting up early or eating later.

Yes, the searing smoke detector thing is a PITA. For ribs, I use the broiler, which should work for the rib eyes too. For non-meats I sometimes don't bother searing.

I use a Food Saver to seal bags which is a bit challenging w/liquids. Yes, bags can be expensive but can be thrown away instead of washing. Seems like some people like Stasher bags, I have used them and they do work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the container the 12QT is a good size w/o being too small or too big...

This lid or one like it helps to keep the water from escaping. They make versions w/cutouts in the corner or end, depending on how the sous vide is mounted.

Anova has also introduced an insulated container, which I may buy in the future but for now I already have the pieces that I need for the frequency that I use it.

https://anovaculinary.com/sous-vide-...ted-container/

Last edited by omasou; 08-10-2021 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I ended up buying a Breville Joule. Works like a charm. I cooked ribeyes at 132F @ 1.5hrs tonight and they came out on the medium rare side of medium (or the medium side of medium rare). Next time I'll lower that to 130F. They were amazingly consistent throughout, though, which is the whole point of sous vide. The only prep I did was salt and pepper and then we seared in vegetable oil and butter. They tasted ok. But it was steak instead of STEAK, if you know what I mean. I had a ribeye about two weeks ago at a friend's house. He didn't do any prep other than salt and pepper, but he did them on a grill. Those were even more on the medium side than ours tonight, but they were also more flavorful. Could be a slightly different cut of beef or maybe that's the difference between grilling alone and sous vide.

Do any of you sous vide folks do marinade or other prep before bagging? Or before searing?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 06:25 PM   #10
Wineguy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M535,328i,328d,330i

Garage List
Quote:

Use a hot cast iron pan with butter and herbs. Finish steak by bathing meat with butter herb mixture. Maybe 3-5 minutes as I dint know how finished meat is in a sous vide.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16963.50
      08-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Some of the difference may have been due to a difference in marbling. The steaks at my friend's house were well marbled. Lots of white fat sections. The ones we had tonight had surprisingly little fat. Just some around the edges. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I shop for steaks.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 08:01 PM   #12
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I've always seared my steaks on the grill so not an expert at the cast iron pan method. But just thinking out loud, I would drop the oil and use the butter only, making sure the butter is seasoned/flavored with salt and pepper/herbs etc.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16963.50
      08-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #13
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I've always seared my steaks on the grill so not an expert at the cast iron pan method. But just thinking out loud, I would drop the oil and use the butter only, making sure the butter is seasoned/flavored with salt and pepper/herbs etc.
I've used the pan method a couple of times recently. I remove the steak from the refrigerator 45 minutes before cooking and used Tony Chachere's and a touch of pepper to season the steak. I placed butter the pan and heat it to the temp of the sun. On the last one I did 5 mins on the first side and 3-4 mins on the second side. I let the meat relax about 10 mins before serving. I serve on a hot buttered plate with 20 mg of Lipitor.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16963.50
      08-21-2021, 09:02 PM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I've used the pan method a couple of times recently. I remove the steak from the refrigerator 45 minutes before cooking and used Tony Chachere's and a touch of pepper to season the steak. I placed butter the pan and heat it to the temp of the sun. On the last one I did 5 mins on the first side and 3-4 mins on the second side. I let the meat relax about 10 mins before serving. I serve on a hot buttered plate with 20 mg of Lipitor.
I suspect I didn't leave them sit long enough to sear properly. And I'm sure we cut into them too soon. Wifey was hungry, though.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      08-22-2021, 06:13 AM   #15
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

We are on the same page. I cook my red meats to 128 then sear to perfection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I ended up buying a Breville Joule. Works like a charm. I cooked ribeyes at 132F @ 1.5hrs tonight and they came out on the medium rare side of medium (or the medium side of medium rare). Next time I'll lower that to 130F. They were amazingly consistent throughout, though, which is the whole point of sous vide. The only prep I did was salt and pepper and then we seared in vegetable oil and butter. They tasted ok. But it was steak instead of STEAK, if you know what I mean. I had a ribeye about two weeks ago at a friend's house. He didn't do any prep other than salt and pepper, but he did them on a grill. Those were even more on the medium side than ours tonight, but they were also more flavorful. Could be a slightly different cut of beef or maybe that's the difference between grilling alone and sous vide.

Do any of you sous vide folks do marinade or other prep before bagging? Or before searing?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      08-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #16
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Some of the difference may have been due to a difference in marbling. The steaks at my friend's house were well marbled. Lots of white fat sections. The ones we had tonight had surprisingly little fat. Just some around the edges. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I shop for steaks.
Marbling will make a huge difference in flavor.
MKSixer34184.50