BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Who changes their own tires w/o having a garage?

04-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
True true... my shed is more for general storage and long term storage of older car parts I don't use. Oh and the kayak since that doesn't fit in the shed.... All my tools, jack, jack stands, chemicals, detailing supplies are in the garage. But it's all a tight fit as you can see ha.

Nice setup! Do you change in there or outside?

Btw, your ninja delete made me worried that my website/internet was acting up.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:39 PM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Nice setup! Do you change in there or outside?

Btw, your ninja delete made me worried that my website/internet was acting up.
Thanks, yeah I do all my mechanical work in the garage although I did change wheels a few time outside to. But inside I prefer since my driveaway has a slight slope and jacks and such gouges asphalt.

Ha yeah mb! I had originally misread your reply there that's why
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 02:07 PM   #25
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
I mostly live in condos so whenever I change my tires, it's a real chore, and now that I'm getting older, it's getting to be more tiresome. How many of you guys are still doing this, e.g. lugging the new tires and equipment from your condo or storage unit to your carspot and then back again?

I imagine for ppl w their own garage, it takes, what, 20 minutes if even? I timed myself, the whole process (including lugging my equipment to and from) took 1 hour and 15 minutes.
I rotate tires, it’s a breeze.

There is a guy on this site, mbworld or rennlist (don’t remember which) that has wheel and tire mounting and balancing equipment as a DIYer. Same level of commitment to the craft as owning a lift imo.

I wouldn’t do the work if I didn’t have a garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:35 PM   #26
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I just take mine to the Navy base and use the AutoSkills shop. Pay my fees and they dispose of the junk tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I do all my mechanical work in the garage although I did change wheels a few time outside to. But inside I prefer since my driveaway has a slight slope and jacks and such gouges asphalt.

Ha yeah mb! I had originally misread your reply there that's why
Ceiling height?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:45 PM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Ceiling height?
It's about 9-10 feet measured.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #29
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Four vehicles in total, the Z4M doesn't get winter tires put on it but 2 daily drivers and the work truck get switched around for summer/winter tires.
It is a chore for sure , I do them all out on the driveway near the garage so I can run an extension for an electric impact wrench.
I use to use an air powered wrench but these new electric impact wrenches are powerful these days I just use them all the time.
The wheel/tires are stored in a storage tent a 100 ft from the garage so it is a pain hauling them back and forth on a 2 hand cart.
We get real snow here so it really is necessary, maybe a 2 hr. job.
      04-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Amazing some of you guys have airguns, what else do you use them for? Are they catching dust now that you got your electric wrench or still used for something else? I love my digital electric wrench. I only encounter prbs when a shop went crazy w their air gun and torqued it to some insane #....I have no idea how much they cranked it to as my wrench is rated at max 390lb-ft or something like that. Can't be good for my lugbolts. That's why I never want shops to touch my wheels.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 07:18 PM   #31
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Impact tools are primarily for removal. I use an impact for speed assembly of a bolt or nut to slightly tight, then final torque with manual click-type torque wrench. Never run a fastener down tight with an impact.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-21-2023, 07:52 PM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Impact tools are primarily for removal. I use an impact for speed assembly of a bolt or nut to slightly tight, then final torque with manual click-type torque wrench. Never run a fastener down tight with an impact.
Generally-speaking, yes, but I have the best electric impact wrench in all of existence lol, it has a digital settng so it stops at the desired tq, so I use it to loosen and tighten.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:02 PM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Amazing some of you guys have airguns, what else do you use them for? Are they catching dust now that you got your electric wrench or still used for something else? I love my digital electric wrench. I only encounter prbs when a shop went crazy w their air gun and torqued it to some insane #....I have no idea how much they cranked it to as my wrench is rated at max 390lb-ft or something like that. Can't be good for my lugbolts. That's why I never want shops to touch my wheels.
There is a far more diversified range of air tools on the market than electric.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 08:03 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's about 9-10 feet measured.
You can get a lift in there. Bend Pack makes one and Danmar makes one. I don't think Rotay does anymore though.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:06 PM   #35
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
There is a far more diversified range of air tools on the market than electric.
I assume they are more expensive and cumbersome though, due to having that tank?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:09 PM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I assume they are more expensive and cumbersome though, due to having that tank?
It's not like you carry the tank around. I'd say air are less expensive and work better for most applications.

And there is nothing better than compressed air for cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:16 PM   #37
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's not like you carry the tank around. I'd say air are less expensive and work better for most applications.

And there is nothing better than compressed air for cleaning.
I guess, but have that hose, right? Same thing applies w the electric cord for my impact wrench, but at least it doesn't have a tank. I only use the wrench for changing tires, so it's an easy choice for me and it costs just CAD100.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:28 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess, but have that hose, right? Same thing applies w the electric cord for my impact wrench, but at least it doesn't have a tank. I only use the wrench for changing tires, so it's an easy choice for me and it costs just CAD100.
I have a Florida Pneumatic 1/4-drive micro ratchet, it fits in the palm of your hand, and can break your wrist. It's tiny, smaller than just the battery of any electric ratchet. Then no one makes an electric Butterfly impact, which is a fantastic air tool for removing rusted fasteners. The butterfly impact is THE tool for removing BMW rotor bolts; it will never cam-out the hexhead.

Yep, electric 1/2-drive impacts are great, but overall, air gives you a way better range of tools. I have a slew of Milwaukee M12-series electrics, but the M12 1/2-drive impact is not strong enough to remove lugs. I don't want to jump to the M18 to get the power.
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      04-21-2023, 08:35 PM   #39
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
A big air compressor is a great tool, blowing crap off of motors, car parts, cleaning.
I use mine for descaling, sand blasting, wet blasting, primer and paint, air chisel, air pump, ...
      04-21-2023, 08:36 PM   #40
PcarFan
Baned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Generally-speaking, yes, but I have the best electric impact wrench in all of existence lol, it has a digital settng so it stops at the desired tq, so I use it to loosen and tighten.
I never heard of a digital impact wrench. Do you have a link to the website or store where you bought it ?
It`s something that I might be interested in, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:38 PM   #41
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have a Florida Pneumatic 1/4-drive micro ratchet, it fits in the palm of your hand, and can break your wrist. It's tiny, smaller than just the battery of any electric ratchet. Then no one makes an electric Butterfly impact, which is a fantastic air tool for removing rusted fasteners. The butterfly impact is THE tool for removing BMW rotor bolts; it will never cam-out the hexhead.

Yep, electric 1/2-drive impacts are great, but overall, air gives you a way better range of tools. I have a slew of Milwaukee M12-series electrics, but the M12 1/2-drive impact is not strong enough to remove lugs. I don't want to jump to the M18 to get the power.
Is this it?
https://usatoolsinc.com/1-4in-dr-min...tchet-fpt733m/

I dunno much about airguns, but like I said, while I'm sure airguns are great and probably way more powerful than electric wrenches, for my purposes, it's hard to beat as I don't need to use it for other things and don't want to have something cumbersome (as it's not just that palm unit, you gotta hook it up to the tank, right?). I have no prbs at all changing my wheels unless some shop went nuts on my lugbolts.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:42 PM   #42
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcarFan View Post
I never heard of a digital impact wrench. Do you have a link to the website or store where you bought it ?
It`s something that I might be interested in, thanks.
This is a long story, but I think it was some conspiracy because this electric wrench that I bought 13 years ago at Canadian Tire for CAD100 is simply amazing. However, they had a voluntary recall claiming that it didn't tighten bolts properly (what?), which is pretty silly, you can verify it yourself. I suppose A LOT of ppl just did as they were told and POOF this product was no longer being sold. (Meanwhile, I got a tq wrench and confirm that my electric wrench always tightened to spec.) Anyway, I'm sure there are others out there but for CAD100, it's pretty much unbeatable value.
Appreciate 1
PcarFan932.00
      04-21-2023, 09:38 PM   #43
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
I'm trying to seek something more objective , how's the handling compare when you're whipping it around canyon roads, twistys, etc? For sure I know that your Lotus and S2000 have more power but I've always held handling as the top criterion for sportiness.
I've never been in a car that handles better than my Lotus Exige. It moves like it knows what I'm thinking, and if I know the road I don't have to use the brakes, I just downshift to slow the car a bit (if I need to) or just turn and it goes that way.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 09:42 PM   #44
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
I have both air and electric. My compressor is 20 years old and great, but loud AF. Have a wide range of air tools accumulated over the years, but also been collecting Dewalt cordless tools as well. Picked up a DCF 900 for a great price on Amazon. Overkill for sure, but couldn’t pass for the price. Can also throw it in the trunk for long trips to make changing a flat a little easier

https://www.dewalt.ca/product/dcf900...vil?tid=577216
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00