BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Software Update Problems

02-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
Naiv
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4

Software Update Problems

Took my Z4 to Bmw this morning, they had called me in for a recall to update software.. when driving the car back home the Dipslay Screen was always restarting / crashing. Happened at least 7 times, the screen goes off. Anyone experienced the same problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiv View Post
Took my Z4 to Bmw this morning, they had called me in for a recall to update software.. when driving the car back home the Dipslay Screen was always restarting / crashing. Happened at least 7 times, the screen goes off. Anyone experienced the same problem?
Yes. This seems to be an issue with IDrive7 sometimes where it will restart several times for no apparent reason. I had it happen on my Z4 one day, but the next day it was fine. It's happened a few times on my X3 as well.

I would just give it a bit of time and it will probably sort itself out.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
Naiv
Rep

Update on situation

So, took it again to shop, they said it could be the unit programing was done wrong so they did it again... pick up the car again today and still same problem.. im so angry, the car was perfectly fine before the recall.. now the display is always resiting. its very anoying cause i usually take some meetings while driving and now its impossible, cause it shuts everything down
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Which sw version? Can they downgrade to an older one?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
So, took it again to shop, they said it could be the unit programing was done wrong so they did it again... pick up the car again today and still same problem.. im so angry, the car was perfectly fine before the recall.. now the display is always resiting. its very anoying cause i usually take some meetings while driving and now its impossible, cause it shuts everything down
Have you tried a hard reset? You need to push the volume in for an extended length of time, but I'm not sure how long. I think I held mine for about 90 seconds. It solved some issues for me after an OTA update.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 09:27 PM   #6
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

The one problem I had with the upload is it reactivated the safety recall for headlight adjusters. Everything else was fine, and it didn't erase my music like the last update.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
Naiv
Rep

Idrive Crashing

I didnt try anything because the car is has 6 months.. so i took it to bmw straight away. But now they are implying its my phone, android that might not be supported because its a new one, altough its the same phone before i bought the car... it worked fine until they messed with the car.

Anyway im not taking the blame, or the phone in this case.. how can a bluetooth conection cause the iDrive to crash multiple times? when it never happened before
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #8
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Anyway im not taking the blame, or the phone in this case.. how can a bluetooth conection cause the iDrive to crash multiple times? when it never happened before
That's the same excuse I was given when IDrive was resetting on me. Did you try a reset?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
Naiv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
That's the same excuse I was given when IDrive was resetting on me. Did you try a reset?

Rob
Yes, tried it and problem persists... how can justify the phone worked well without ANY problems for almost 6 months, then after the recall the car comes back with iDrive crashing ans they imidiatly blame the phone... feels like a joke. That and the fact they already did more that 80km on the car to "test" it and still no clue, just wasting time and money
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

Quote:
Yes, tried it and problem persists... how can justify the phone worked well without ANY problems for almost 6 months, then after the recall the car comes back with iDrive crashing ans they imidiatly blame the phone... feels like a joke. That and the fact they already did more that 80km on the car to "test" it and still no clue, just wasting time and money
Elevate your complaint. BMW corporate does not want bad dealers or bad service managers. It is bad for business. If the General Manager doesn't take care of your problem, then move up the ladder.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #11
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

What was the upgrade version? More as a heads up for us in Europe as the next OTS upgrade is rolling out.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
Naiv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerOneNI View Post
What was the upgrade version? More as a heads up for us in Europe as the next OTS upgrade is rolling out.
Where can i check it? Will ask the dealer tomorow tho.. they insisting its the phone that worked well for 6 months until the recall for reprogram... im pissed about it. Tomorow if they dont present me with a solution ill send complains to bmw somehow.. its not a cheap car for them to srew up like this and just blame the user when they dont find the real problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #13
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
I didnt try anything because the car is has 6 months.. so i took it to bmw straight away. But now they are implying its my phone, android that might not be supported because its a new one, altough its the same phone before i bought the car... it worked fine until they messed with the car.

Did you try deleting the pairing from your phone and then recreating it?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #14
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

I doubt it his is an issue but Android Auto has to have one of the latest OS firmware updates to connect. Mine won't on my Huawei Honor 8 cell because they stopped updating the OS a while back.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #15
Naiv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Did you try deleting the pairing from your phone and then recreating it?
Yes, i tried everyting that made sense
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #16
Naiv
Rep

Update

Quote:
Yes, i tried everyting that made sense
So, ive "fixed" the probelm myself, the problem is the BT protocol, i changed it from 1.6 to 1.5 and now it doesnt crash anymore. The dealer wants to change my radio lol. then install the same software, which will not change anything imo.

So, the problem is this latest software update they did isnt compatible with BT 1.6 version, and i lost some features, like weather and albums images while listening to spotify
Appreciate 0