BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The "things I wish I knew/did when I was younger" thread

01-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #155
MG 228i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i, 340i 6MT, i3S

Should I spend 19% of my gross annual salary on an engagement ring?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #156
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG 228i View Post
Hopefully, you only have to do it once.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #157
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG 228i
If she loves you she will take plastic instead
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #158
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Real talk, I just found out my ex of 5 years is seeing someone of 2 months now, after stringing me along and using me for two months and telling me the day before New Years.

Listen man, buck up, be your own person. It's hard as fuck, but you're the only person in charge of your own happiness. Don't let anyone strip that from you. The more you sit around and dwell and pout, is wasting the same effort of trying to be with someone that doesn't care about you. Go do you man, remember that you were alive before and after your relationship with her.
x2. I got dumped by my ex of 6.5 years in 2013, when I was 6 weeks away from graduating from a grad program 2,000 miles away and moving back home. I specifically remember a week later, moping around one night, when I thought to myself, "F--- it, let's get out of the house." Went to the campus bar, started talking to IMO the hottest chick in school who I also kind of had a thing for, but always felt would be out of my league.

Married her 4 months ago.

Life is too short to fret about stuff in the past. If you're stuck in the past, you won't move forward. Just take it as done and move on to what's next. If I had waited even a few more days or weeks, I never would have had a chance with the woman who would become my wife.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #159
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Damn that really puts it into perspective with how much time I've wasted moping around. The hardest part I've been coming to terms with is because my brother married her sister and constantly seems to side with them. I haven't even seen him in over two months, he just doesn't seem to care to spend time with me and make sure I'm ok, so he's just spending his time hanging out with his wife, my ex and their family having a grand old time. I legitimately feel like I was used and just threw him a bachelor party and was his best man, and now I'm tossed to the side, by all parties. It's a terrible feeling. I'm his kid brother and I finally bought my first car with my own money (my 135i), and he hasn't even given a shit to come out to see it and spend some brotherly time. He only lives 20 minutes away too.

It's just an incredibly sad feeling. Just when I felt like I had an older brother (he was never really there for me as a teen), and now it feels like my ex poached him away from me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #160
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
It's just an incredibly sad feeling. Just when I felt like I had an older brother (he was never really there for me as a teen), and now it feels like my ex poached him away from me.
Well for the past two months I was giving the girl weed, taking her out to nice dinners, helping her with all her school work, did some car repairs for her, all while she was talking to the other dude. Plus, she lied a month and a half previously when I asked if there was someone else, so she just decided it'd be fun to string along, then invite me over one day where I was going to give her her bday present, and dropped it on me, so I walked out haven't spoken and deleted her from everything.

Yeah, it's a sad feeling, but there are people that will appreciate you. The longer you let other people hold your happiness, the longer it's going to take to find someone worth while. Hell she could be at the bar right now, but you won't know unless you go. It's hard to put out of your mind, but if you don't it'll drive you crazy and you'll never grow. You know who you are, share that with someone or just be happy that you're not a fuck up.

I just imagine my ex treating this dude like an asshole, or him to her, makes it more fun because I know it's a matter of time before she turns into her mother.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #161
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep

The only thing that is keeping me sane is knowing that I treated that girl like a fucking queen, and everyone knows it. Every single one of her friends and family acquaintances would joke and say that she better not let me go. It's ironic because literally everyone in my circle would say I could do better. I just wanted it to work so badly. Yea she was hot, but it was just such a one sided relationship. The only thing she would ever do was "show up" for our dates. She never once planned, paid, suggested anything, or went out of her way to make my day or help me out with anything. If I put up with it for 3 years on and off, I have no idea what other guy will. But I can predict her type. She's gonna be the type that ends up dating a loser going nowhere in life who might have more "swag" and Instagram followers than me, but she won't find another guy who treated her as well as I did. And I hope she knows that deep down.

God, sorry guys. I feel like a royal babyback bitch right now
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #162
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
its gonna be alright...plenty of bees in the garden

Quote:
The only thing that is keeping me sane is knowing that I treated that girl like a fucking queen, and everyone knows it. Every single one of her friends and family acquaintances would joke and say that she better not let me go. It's ironic because literally everyone in my circle would say I could do better. I just wanted it to work so badly. Yea she was hot, but it was just such a one sided relationship. The only thing she would ever do was "show up" for our dates. She never once planned, paid, suggested anything, or went out of her way to make my day or help me out with anything. If I put up with it for 3 years on and off, I have no idea what other guy will. But I can predict her type. She's gonna be the type that ends up dating a loser going nowhere in life who might have more "swag" and Instagram followers than me, but she won't find another guy who treated her as well as I did. And I hope she knows that deep down.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #163
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
If she loves you she will take plastic instead
That sounds more expensive...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #164
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
but she won't find another guy who treated her as well as I did. And I hope she knows that deep down.
No. You need to know that deep down. Not her, or anyone else for that matter.

Hold those words to heart and use it as energy to move forward.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #165
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90
its gonna be alright...plenty of bees in the garden

Quote:

OP if I was single like you I would be going directly after alpine's avatar RIGHT NOW!
      01-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #166
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Not to treat my life so trivially.
Every decision will get back to you.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #167
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
OP if I was single like you I would be going directly after alpine's avatar RIGHT NOW!
Lmao that would be nice wouldn't it??
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #168
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Real talk, I just found out my ex of 5 years is seeing someone of 2 months now, after stringing me along and using me for two months and telling me the day before New Years.

Listen man, buck up, be your own person. It's hard as fuck, but you're the only person in charge of your own happiness. Don't let anyone strip that from you. The more you sit around and dwell and pout, is wasting the same effort of trying to be with someone that doesn't care about you. Go do you man, remember that you were alive before and after your relationship with her.
x2. I got dumped by my ex of 6.5 years in 2013, when I was 6 weeks away from graduating from a grad program 2,000 miles away and moving back home. I specifically remember a week later, moping around one night, when I thought to myself, "F--- it, let's get out of the house." Went to the campus bar, started talking to IMO the hottest chick in school who I also kind of had a thing for, but always felt would be out of my league.

Married her 4 months ago.

Life is too short to fret about stuff in the past. If you're stuck in the past, you won't move forward. Just take it as done and move on to what's next. If I had waited even a few more days or weeks, I never would have had a chance with the woman who would become my wife.
Need a photo now
      01-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #169
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Back to our previously scheduled programming..
1. Pay cash. Debt is bad and makes everything much more expensive. Advise from my grandma.
2. Expect to have more than 1 career. Average is 3.
3. Exercise between 30-40. This simple action will nearly guarantee a heart attack free life.
4. Try hard. Be the best you can in everything you try.
5. Read books. Not just internet, magazines, papers. The mental exercise from reading a challenging book will keep you sharp late in life.
6. Do something artistic. I mean anything. Write, play, build, it doesn't matter
Using your imagination to create something real will have a profound impact on your life.
7. Don't anger crazy people that can hurt you.
8. Cops are people too. Treat them well and they might not take your money.
9. Kindness is not weakness.
10. Focus on the journey, not the destination. Life is a train ride and you can take the express or you can get off at every stop and look around. They both go to the same destination. The stories experienced on the local make you a more interesting person. The express is nothing more than efficient.
That's my top 10 list. Good luck.
Appreciate 0