BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Bill Maher on Covid

08-19-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Bill Maher on Covid

I still think he's a prick, but he's got it right.
Appreciate 7
GenXer1363.00
Soul_Glo13342.00
mkoesel7508.50
Murf99314114.00
      08-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

It's very important that American's work on their immune systems, their healthy minds and bodies. Eat your veggies, workout daily, it's not rocket science .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Let's see how long this stays up on Youtube.

Bill hasn't said anything different from the docs that did the press conference in Bakersfield, CA. Granted those docs did talk about the stats and other controversial topics. But their video was taken down.

Also it's curious that people agree that keeping your health in top shape is important in getting over this virus. Yet many gyms are having a heck of time staying open due to political mandates.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Bill hasn't said anything different from the docs that did the press conference in Bakersfield, CA. Granted those docs did talk about the stats and other controversial topics. But their video was taken down.
I strongly doubt this video will be taken down, nor will it generate controversy.

Bill is simply distilling down hundreds-of-years-old, accepted science into a format which, hopefully, folks will be able to digest. He's wisely staying away from not-rigorously-proven theories (which may lead to accepted fact some day or maybe not) about medications or health procedures, nor is he making other marginal statements.

If only this type of common sense message and pragmatic approach were more pervasive.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
In general, I like Bill, but in this instance I feel like he's dead wrong.

Unless you're young and healthy, then the very best thing you can do (while still working to support yourself and/or your family) is to have as little human interaction as possible until there is a proven treatment plan, or vaccine.

If you could possibly get COVID, and give it to someone elderly by doing something you're doing; STOP.

And by all means, don't be scared of your hands, but wash them, and wear a mask, it's the very least you can do.

Not sure at all why this is so hard for people to understand/do.
Appreciate 5
Littlebear3509.50
buldogge149.50
eluded3005.00
Soul_Glo13342.00
      08-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
He's not necessarily wrong about what he's saying, but if we can reduce the amount of people that we get it until we get a vaccine, that would be better than having a huge amount of people with it and hoping their immune systems are up to the task. Then he starts talking about bacteria as if that's the same as a virus.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Unless you're young and healthy, then the very best thing you can do (while still working to support yourself and/or your family) is to have as little human interaction as possible until there is a proven treatment plan, or vaccine.
I don't think this is at odds with his message. What I came away with is that he's asking folks not to let fear and anxiety keep them from doing what is necessary to maintain reasonable mental health and physical fitness.

It's true that if the virus were sufficiently deadly (had a sufficiently high morbidity rate) that an absolutely rigorous quarantining procedure (the likes of which you might see in a Hollywood thriller, perhaps) would be necessary. In this case, having any contact with anyone could be a death sentence for you, that person, or anyone else you come in proximity to. On the other end of the spectrum, the precautions we take to keep ourselves healthy during normal times still allow us to pass diseases and illnesses to one another, for some of which there is no vaccine, and we accept the risk associated with that including some small number of deaths and other severe health effects among our population.

So it covers a wide array of actions - our methods and means of handling the fact that we share this planet with harmful micro-organisms - and as I say, pragmatism should continue to be a driving force just as it always has been. We have a responsibility to ourselves, our families, and our community to do what we can to protect them. To help accomplish this, we have adopted good habits as a matter of custom - washing our hands and maintaining hygiene for example - and certainly we'll continue to uphold those practices. Furthermore, wearing masks, social distancing and other measures can be part of an added regimen commensurate with the uptick in severity this virus poses as compared to the ones we are accustomed to dealing with on a seasonal basis.

We mustn't forget however, that we also have a responsibility to those same people to manage ourselves as effective, well-maintained, upright citizens of this planet, and not allow our faculties to fall into disrepair or our vital systems' conditions to erode. Certainly, not everyone strikes the right balance in times of non-health crisis. Those people should treat this as a wake-up call (some of them are finding themselves at a higher risk now than they'd have been if they had been more responsible). But for those that do have the right mix of activity in their lives, it is just as certain that they should not let that process break down or let their commitment diminish, since it could cause them to suffer setbacks or lead to other health issues that could quite possibly end up being worse than contracting the virus.

TL;DR: Common sense is often what works best.
Appreciate 4
      08-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's true that if the virus were sufficiently deadly (had a sufficiently high morbidity rate) that an absolutely rigorous quarantining procedure (the likes of which you might see in a Hollywood thriller, perhaps) would be necessary.
When in doubt; wait.

We do not yet know the long-term effects of COVID19, but it has certainly been suggested that there are negative lasting effects.

I can't speak for everyone, but will consider everyone infected and potentially a path to great harm to me and my family until such time as there is proven, effective treatment/and or a vaccine.

I don't think that's unreasonable to assume.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When in doubt; wait.
Sure. And as you say, you can't speak for everyone.

That's good because in my case, there is no doubt. I am 100% convinced that this virus is not remotely deadly enough to warrant a quarantine process along the lines of the one I describe in the quote you took from my post. I don't see any science that supports that, nor do I see any policies in place across the globe that would suggest any significant portion of the earth's population believes this is a doomsday scenario or extinction-level event or what have you.

Quote:
We do not yet know the long-term effects of COVID19, but it has certainly been suggested that there are negative lasting effects.
For some people, I'm sure there will be. Just like there are in some rare cases for people who contract other illnesses that we do little to curb the spread of.

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but will consider everyone infected and potentially a path to great harm to me and my family until such time as there is proven, effective treatment/and or a vaccine.

I don't think that's unreasonable to assume.
Then that's absolutely what you should continue to do. I do hope you are also maintaining mental and physical health since we know that failing to do that, pandemic or no pandemic, leads to all sorts of issues, some of them potentially very harmful if they persist for too long. I know not everyone is taking care of themselves, and that's already taken its toll on plenty among us. Please maintain your mind and body.
Appreciate 3
      08-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I am 100% convinced that this virus is not remotely deadly enough to warrant a quarantine process along the lines of the one I describe in the quote you took from my post.
My view probably is what it is because my wife works at a hospital, and comes home regularly with stories of otherwise healthy people that are no longer healthy after COVID.

Quote:
Just like there are in some rare cases for people who contract other illnesses that we do little to curb the spread of.
It's my assertion that the lasting negative effects of COVID will be much more than rare. But I'm no expert.

Quote:
I do hope you are also maintaining mental and physical health... I know not everyone is taking care of themselves, and that's already taken its toll on plenty among us. Please maintain your mind and body.
No worries there.
Appreciate 2
chris7197331.50
      08-19-2020, 10:29 PM   #11
1claire
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Alpine White

Staying healthy is important nowadays, end of discussion.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      08-19-2020, 10:39 PM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My view probably is what it is because my wife works at a hospital, and comes home regularly with stories of otherwise healthy people that are no longer healthy after COVID.
I’m sure having family members on the front line can be eye opening. Tell your wife I thank her for her putting lives of others ahead of her own.

Quote:
It's my assertion that the lasting negative effects of COVID will be much more than rare. But I'm no expert.
Like science, a belief system is a valuable tool when handled responsibly. It’s important to recognize the difference between the two. You’ve recorded your belief here for posterity, and in time we’ll know whether it comes to pass. From situations like this, regardless of the outcome, people can learn about themselves, and hopefully use that new found wisdom to grow.

Quote:
No worries there.
Let’s be humble and keep personal information private.

Physical fitness is certainly important. I have it on good authority you’re not the only middle aged athlete out there. There might even be others in this thread. So good on you and anyone else who keeps in shape. But mental health is equally, if perhaps not more, important. And it’s not something one could get a read on by, just for example, looking at one's six pack in the mirror every day.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #13
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

There are so many protests in the world now, it’s crazy. Germany, 20k people. Russia, the entire city protests for over a month now (50k people maybe?). Belarus, the entire country protests for the 2nd week now (200k people just in one city), etc. Guess what? No one is social distancing and most dont have any masks. You would think hospitals would be overloaded, lots of sick people, death number would go up. Nope. Nothing, zero.

And on top of it, its summer time, people are outside, most places are now open. Sure numbers increased, so what? Who cares as long as deaths decrease? More people get tested, more tests are proven to give false positives.

And media is scaring people so much, its just fucking sick. This screenshot is from today.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 08-20-2020 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:45 AM   #14
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

My doctor said less than 1% chance of dying. Why so worried unless you are that 1%?

Bill didn't mention why other counties have contained the virus.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:12 AM   #15
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Bill Maher is a fossil. A horse long overdue for the glue factory. He thinks he is some kind of practical, grounded contrarian here. He should stick to speaking on topics he knows something about.
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #16
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
My doctor said less than 1% chance of dying. Why so worried unless you are that 1%?

Bill didn't mention why other counties have contained the virus.
Because they aren't selfish a$$holes like many Americans?

I have to tell you, I'm totally onboard with the everyone saying this is all a plot to rob of us our rights and such. I was FORCED to wear a mask in Costco yesterday..........do you know my glasses fogged up when I came out of the refrigerated room with the fresh produce?

I should NOT have to put up with such a serious infringement of my rights as an a 'Murican!

/sarcasm
Appreciate 4
chris7197331.50
eluded3005.00
2one3E902422.00
      08-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #17
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Bill Maher is a fossil. A horse long overdue for the glue factory. He thinks he is some kind of practical, grounded contrarian here. He should stick to speaking on topics he knows something about.
Ouch lol. But yeah.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #18
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Bill Maher should stick to speaking on topics he knows something about.
I wonder if he would even speak if it weren't to provoke someone. It's how he has always made his living.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50