BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Considering switching from iPhone to Droid...

01-17-2016, 12:11 AM   #1
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Considering switching from iPhone to Droid...

Hi guys and girls-

Pretty much have had an iPhone for as long as I can remember. Recently I have been intrigued by the latest Samsung phones, in particular the Galaxy 6s edge.

Is it worth the switch?

Pros, cons?

I've always enjoyed my iPhone's, but curious if any of you have switched from Apple...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Best decision you'll ever make.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #3
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn View Post
Best decision you'll ever make.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #4
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I have both, and like my Iphone better.

Not sure why, just have always liked the Iphone more
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 01:08 AM   #5
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I wouldn't switch now though. Samsung will show the S7 and S7 Edge in a month or so.

I go back and forth but always end up back at Apple. For me it just works better as a whole and feels more polished. But a lot of people feel the exact opposite. Me personally would rather get a Nexus phone but it sounds like you like the design of the Edge more than what it offers.
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2016, 01:18 AM   #6
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
I have an iPhone and a Nexus 5. Both of their strengths and weaknesses, it used to be that the iPhones native apps were far better than android native apps. Things like the music player, podcasts, email, calendar, etc. With an android phone I've always found the native applications lacking and have sought out other solutions. For example on android double twist is a fantastic music player, and until recently, equal if not slightly better than Apple's music app.

With Apple's latest release, and their streaming music service the music player has become a steaming pile of poop. From what I understand the person in charge of user experience design came from package design, and it's definitely obvious these appear to be mutually exclusive skills. FoR example, aking touch targets the size of a grain of salt is an ill advised choice on a mobile device.

If you want to use the phone as a personal assistant, Google now, or Siri, there's no comparison, the Google product is far more reliable, offers more pertinent information, and works far better using voice commands than Siri does.

With what I see is a decline in the usability of Apple devices, if it were not for iMessage I would definitely use an android device as my daily driver. I've had the iPhone since the iPhone launch, I think it was June 2007.

I have never liked skins on top of android, like sense on HTC devices and the unfortunately named touch whiz on Samsung devices. Having them, delays or sometimes precludes updates. The new Nexus devices look really good. With a Nexus device you get very prompt updates, and your device is not totally obsolete when they launch a new phone.

I found android devices for more customizable, which is a good thing as out of the box they don't do as much is an Apple device does. Android devices do cater to the more technically inclined, people like tweaking their devices gravitate towards android. Android offers far more flrexibility, you can root the device, install different flavors of the operating system, sideload apps, but none of this stuff is super easy to figure out. Just like a car, the more mods the less reliable.

B.

Last edited by bueller; 01-17-2016 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 01:30 AM   #7
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
I wouldn't switch now though. Samsung will show the S7 and S7 Edge in a month or so.

I go back and forth but always end up back at Apple. For me it just works better as a whole and feels more polished. But a lot of people feel the exact opposite. Me personally would rather get a Nexus phone but it sounds like you like the design of the Edge more than what it offers.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 01:39 AM   #8
isakhnov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 M5 CP - SG/AB

I've switched often between all - iphone, android and wp. There still is no perfect phone. Android is much more customizable but is also a lot more flaky and less stable.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 02:44 AM   #9
08TUNDRA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Iphones have a closed source operating system, so of course they're more reliable. However while open source is a double edged sword it really is far superior. Being able to customize your phone however you like is the best thing since the launch of the smarphones. Downloading directly from a browser, and other things makes it literally a pc in your pocket. I love samsung phones started with an s3 then a note 4 now have a note 5. The s pen is really the next big thing. Try it you'll love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:10 AM   #10
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
I had Android ever since it came out, and my advice is stay away from Samsung, unless you can wipe their horrible software. They try too hard to differentiate themselves from other OEMs and just make all the UI ugly and confusing. The best phone you can buy right now is Nexus 6P which has the pristine version of the latest Android OS.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #11
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I cannot fathom how anyone even reasonably intelligent uses apple anything. Whilst the hardware is outstanding the software is infuriating, designed to stop you handling your own data and running everything through itunes. I cannot fathom how anyone can stand using it, i wan tto hurl apple devices out the eindow when forced to do anything more than just view content.

Apple's "just works" mantra is fine s you want auto everything, i mean the back up files are saved to a hidden directory ffs. maddening stuff.

But hey, i still use a blackberry! May have to go android as theBB apps situation is hurting but damn BB still handles email well.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I cannot fathom how anyone even reasonably intelligent uses apple anything. Whilst the hardware is outstanding the software is infuriating, designed to stop you handling your own data and running everything through itunes. I cannot fathom how anyone can stand using it, i wan tto hurl apple devices out the eindow when forced to do anything more than just view content.

Apple's "just works" mantra is fine s you want auto everything, i mean the back up files are saved to a hidden directory ffs. maddening stuff.

But hey, i still use a blackberry! May have to go android as theBB apps situation is hurting but damn BB still handles email well.
I ran into this fiasco recently when I was trying to do something as simple as loading videos onto an iPad mini. Because the iPad mini was originally sync'd to another laptop, I had to go through some hoops to register the mini to a new laptop and then carefully watch what I was doing when I sync'd to the new laptop. No one should EVER have to worry about losing data when they're doing something so basic as doing file transfers. And I'm not even talking about content I got from iTunes. So there's no DRM issues at play here.

With my Android phones, I just plug it in to my laptop, it shows up as a storage device, and I drag and drop. No extra software crap to load and no drama about potentially losing data regardless of what PC/laptop I plug it in to.

I'm not sure if iOS has this functionality, but I've lately gotten onto the automation kick with my Android phone. I found some free automation tools in the Play Store. I have scripted actions running on my phone where if it syncs to my car via Bluetooth, it will automatically launch Miracast to do a screen mirror to the nav screen in my car. I also have another script where if the phone is plugged into the car charger it will run a utility which prevents the screen from locking. I'm exploring other things I can do to automate things I routinely do based on specific triggers.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I ran into this fiasco recently when I was trying to do something as simple as loading videos onto an iPad mini. Because the iPad mini was originally sync'd to another laptop, I had to go through some hoops to register the mini to a new laptop and then carefully watch what I was doing when I sync'd to the new laptop. No one should EVER have to worry about losing data when they're doing something so basic as doing file transfers. And I'm not even talking about content I got from iTunes. So there's no DRM issues at play here.

With my Android phones, I just plug it in to my laptop, it shows up as a storage device, and I drag and drop. No extra software crap to load and no drama about potentially losing data regardless of what PC/laptop I plug it in to.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100 times this.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #14
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
I had Android ever since it came out, and my advice is stay away from Samsung, unless you can wipe their horrible software. They try too hard to differentiate themselves from other OEMs and just make all the UI ugly and confusing. The best phone you can buy right now is Nexus 6P which has the pristine version of the latest Android OS.
I made the switch and love android. I do prefer ios for media management.

As far as Samsung Galaxy phones are concerned, I agree that it used to be full of Samsung's shitty touchwiz UI but the S6, Note5, and Edge phones have made a huge leap in getting away from that. Touchwiz is no longer intrusive and their phones are superior in many ways. The only thing I don't like is the multi-tasking function puts apps to sleep to manage memory. So many times you'll have to reload the app.

I have an S6 and an Xperia Z3 Plus which is close to stock android. I prefer the Sony. I keep an IPhone to communicate with my family when I'm abroad since they're all on iPhones. My goto every day phone is android.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Most IT techs I know use Apple devices because of the underlying Unix-like OS. I own and use both Apple and Windows devices. Each has strengths and weaknesses. Apple stinks for corporate/enterprise stuff, but they don't cater to that market. Windows is getting deeper and deeper into spyware and they keep changing the look and feel of the OS in major ways. Windows is also moving towards forced updates. One of my clients came into work one day and found his Windows 7 box was running Windows 10.

Wifey and I are finally moving from flip phones to smart phones mostly because of texting. You just can't get away from it these days and I'm sick of trying to answer text message on a standard number pad. We both like the Apple iMessage app, so iPhones will be our choice. The integration with my MacBook Pro and iMac is a bonus for me.

"Reasonably intelligent" people use whatever works best for their own purposes.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Most IT techs I know use Apple devices because of the underlying Unix-like OS. I own and use both Apple and Windows devices. Each has strengths and weaknesses.
Android is also a Unix-like OS and no one is talking about Windows.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #17
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Most IT techs I know use Apple devices because of the underlying Unix-like OS. I own and use both Apple and Windows devices. Each has strengths and weaknesses. Apple stinks for corporate/enterprise stuff, but they don't cater to that market. Windows is getting deeper and deeper into spyware and they keep changing the look and feel of the OS in major ways. Windows is also moving towards forced updates. One of my clients came into work one day and found his Windows 7 box was running Windows 10.

Wifey and I are finally moving from flip phones to smart phones mostly because of texting. You just can't get away from it these days and I'm sick of trying to answer text message on a standard number pad. We both like the Apple iMessage app, so iPhones will be our choice. The integration with my MacBook Pro and iMac is a bonus for me.

"Reasonably intelligent" people use whatever works best for their own purposes.
Exactly, why folks like to make broad statements question the intelligence of others because they have a different view is beyond me. Use what you're comfortable with and what works for you.

Peace
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #18
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Android is also a Unix-like OS and no one is talking about Windows.
When someone questions why anyone would use an Apple device (i.e., *any* Apple device), it opens up the conversation to any other device. Windows 10 is on phones now, too. Do I have to start a whole new thread just to bring up Windows?

My point was that people should use whichever device fits their needs. Arguing Apple vs Android vs Windows is the same as arguing BMW vs MB vs Audi. They all accomplish the same thing, just in slightly different ways.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 4
      01-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #19
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
When someone questions why anyone would use an Apple device (i.e., *any* Apple device), it opens up the conversation to any other device. Windows 10 is on phones now, too. Do I have to start a whole new thread just to bring up Windows?
No, if someone is asking about switching from iOS to Android, they are not asking about Windows. Kind of obvious isn't it? No one cares about Windows phones anyway, as reflected by their market share.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #20
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, if someone is asking about switching from iOS to Android, they are not asking about Windows. Kind of obvious isn't it? No one cares about Windows phones anyway, as reflected by their market share.
Bagged by the Thread Police.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #21
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I dunno what it is about droid that i just cant get comfortable with. I've tried it 4 times over the last few years. I end up going back and buying an iphone. I feel like droid just has too much going on for an ordinary user. Almost like i'm being spammed. Ios Is simpler to me.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #22
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

i had an iphone...went to android (S4) and it was absolutely awful and samsung phones are so inferior it's not even funny. The phone literally died on me after a year and some months, and I immediately went back to an iphone.
Appreciate 0