BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Considering switching from iPhone to Droid...

01-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #23
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

My biggest gripe about iPhones is you pay 600 for a smart phone... and you can't even save file attachment from emails, like PDFs or docs locally onto the phone.

In Android, there is "My Files" where you have access to browse different folder contents, like recent downloads, and other app files. I can even copy and paste a file from one folder to another... Just like any computer.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #24
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
My biggest gripe about iPhones is you pay 600 for a smart phone... and you can't even save file attachment from emails, like PDFs or docs locally onto the phone.

In Android, there is "My Files" where you have access to browse different folder contents, like recent downloads, and other app files. I can even copy and paste a file from one folder to another... Just like any computer.
Well the 600 $ are a good investment as for your gripe:
Iphone user do have a chance to save files as pdf's with the leaf app
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #25
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 VR E92 335i, 6MT

I just came from Android; every two years I switch between Android and iOS. Personally, I miss Google Now, but appreciate how the iPhone works in the car via USB. I stream all my music via Spotify, so having it be able to play via USB in the car is a definite plus. Also, my receiver supports AirPlay, so that's another advantage.

All around, I miss my Android (HTC One), however being on Verizon and not getting updates until months after they release is quite frustrating. Overall, I still prefer Android, the integration between texts and Hangouts is awesome. iMessage is nice, but I feel Hangouts is better.

I'd hold off on the GS6, it's about a year old at this point. Samsung will definitely be coming out with a new flagship phone soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #26
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
I dunno what it is about droid that i just cant get comfortable with. I've tried it 4 times over the last few years. I end up going back and buying an iphone. I feel like droid just has too much going on for an ordinary user. Almost like i'm being spammed. Ios Is simpler to me.
Beware of the OEMs. I use Android but get totally confused each time my aunt asks me for help with her Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
i had an iphone...went to android (S4) and it was absolutely awful and samsung phones are so inferior it's not even funny. The phone literally died on me after a year and some months, and I immediately went back to an iphone.
Yeah, Samsung is, or at least was pretty horrible. They pump crazy money in marketing so they sell a lot, while HTC with better software and build quality is going bankrupt... My provider talked me once into S5 upgrade, I sent it back right away.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #27
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

It's about time. Droid accounts for 4 times the sales of apple. It's basically always one generation ahead. Apple sucks and is over priced for what you get. Stop drinking the Kool aid. Galaxy 6. Say thank you after you get it.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #28
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I have and use both on a daily basis. I have a iphone 6s and S6 Edge. I have to say that the iPhone is more stable, clean and simple while the S6 can pretty much do everything. I upgraded from a S4 to S6edge and the difference in the touchwiz is huge. Touchwiz is not as intrusive now adays compared to what my S4 had.

With my iPhone I find that if I want to do anything that's outside the bounds of iOS, I have to download an app for it.

I'd say if you're a power user and seriously use your phone for everything, hands down an Android based phone is the answer. If you're just using a phone to text and browse facebook... get an iPhone.

Personally, I think the iPhone is a thing of the past and become the 'old person' and 'kiddy' phone since it's very easy to use. Just take a look at any Apple Store. The only people you see in there are young kids and senior citizens. Then the hipsters that just work there.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #29
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

IPhone only accounts for 12% of phone sales now. Samsung has 44% and Droid based close to 80% for a reason. At least those were the numbers 18 months ago. I'm sure they were recently skewed by Apple drones buying iPhone 6's this year but it's the overall trend.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #30
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give_Em_The_DD View Post
Hi guys and girls-

Pretty much have had an iPhone for as long as I can remember. Recently I have been intrigued by the latest Samsung phones, in particular the Galaxy 6s edge.

Is it worth the switch?

Pros, cons?

I've always enjoyed my iPhone's, but curious if any of you have switched from Apple...
Couldn't hurt to switch to see if you like it better. What is the worse that happens?
1) you like the new device/platform and stay with it.
2) you hate the new device/platform and go back to your old device (sell whatever you are not using).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #31
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Bagged by the Thread Police.
How dare you mention windows
      01-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #32
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

For any new android user, I would suggest sticking to Nexus devices in the beginning to get a feel of the pure android experience. Nexus devices offer the latest updates, have no skin on the OS and give you the freedom and flexibility to unlock the boot loader and load custom Roms if you choose to do so. I love Android and am currently using an IPhone 6s Plus. I must say that the iPhone "just works" ,however I find myself using any and all google apps that I can possible use from the App Store and I've become bored with it after just two months of use. I despise ITunes and the way Apple ties you down in to using everything in their eco system. No freedom or flexibility to do anything like other members have mentioned . One great thing about iPhones is the great resale value attached with the the devices, so, I Plan on selling and purchasing an android device in the near future. I'm partial to HTC phones as I've used them since the windows touch pro days and like HTC Sense as it is not as bloated as other android skins from other manufacturers. If only HTC would launch a device that gets my blood pumping like the did with the One M7. HTC where are you?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #33
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Wow- really appreciate all the feedback guys.

I do think i am going to make the "switch" and give android a shot. From what I am reading, If I want a Samsung, maybe wait a few months.

Keep the opinions coming!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #34
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

Quote:
Hi guys and girls-

Pretty much have had an iPhone for as long as I can remember. Recently I have been intrigued by the latest Samsung phones, in particular the Galaxy 6s edge.

Is it worth the switch?

Pros, cons?

I've always enjoyed my iPhone's, but curious if any of you have switched from Apple...

what are you comparing iphone 6s plus vs the edge?

i got the latest iphone i love it its super fast.

samsung got nice looking phones... i have experience with their tab with the S-pen... which is awesome vs the ipad pro...

samsung
got the widgets on the home screen which are nice.
updates are slower..
samsung tablet wise with the s-pen i totally love it... cut and paste and selecting with spen is good... there way more advanced with the pen then apple..

i think samsung more of a geeks phone, has more things you can tweak...

apple
got 3d touch,
live photo.
i think more stable and secure.
i think the apple UI looks more polished...
apple pay great
finger print reader is very useful.. i log into my banking, trading accounts, credit cards... don't have to remember passwords...

in the end of the day: i have work wise, compatiblity with my microsoft servers i went with iphone 6s plus..

i also like when i mess up my iphone its a no hassle process.. goto an apple store, they do a few test and i get a new one..

andriod support, i think you google around to find answers...

but for tablet, i returned my ipad pro, and just went with the slower but more functional samsung tablet with s-pen.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 12:51 AM   #35
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikhael619 View Post
Iphones have a closed source operating system, so of course they're more reliable. However while open source is a double edged sword it really is far superior. Being able to customize your phone however you like is the best thing since the launch of the smarphones. Downloading directly from a browser, and other things makes it literally a pc in your pocket. I love samsung phones started with an s3 then a note 4 now have a note 5. The s pen is really the next big thing. Try it you'll love it.
This is why I have an iphone. Last thing I want is a PC in my pocket. I just want to be able to call people, send text, browse a couple sites, check email and take pics. I want to be able to do that quickly and consistently. Reliability is key for me in a phone. I don't care much for bigger screens and faster processors etc.
Appreciate 3
      01-18-2016, 05:46 AM   #36
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow- really appreciate all the feedback guys.

I do think i am going to make the "switch" and give android a shot. From what I am reading, If I want a Samsung, maybe wait a few months.

Keep the opinions coming!! Lol
Why do you want Samsung? Just buy Nexus 6P. You can check reviews, it's easily the best phone out there now.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #37
j_marinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT

I currently have the older Galaxy S5 and love it. Before that, I had the S3 which was my first Samsung phone. Before that I was bouncing around HTC and Blackberrys. I personally love the Galaxy platform (though I do not have any experience with Iphones)

The best feature I love on my phone which comes from Google App is more of an interactive app. It monitors my movements and develops a routine. I can look at my phone right now and see I have 51 mins to get to my office. It also is noting that it is about 1 min faster than my typical commute (due to MLK day and no school is my guess) I get the same deal in the evenings before I leave work. If there is a wreck on my path, my phone will notify me up to an hour ahead of time and suggest other routes that may be faster. If I start to go to a place often, it will ask me if I would like to safe this place into my database so it can provide the updates(like traveling to work).

Not sure if Iphone has a similar feature or not but my point is do a lot research and pick what best suites you. I have grown accustom to my Galaxy and it's features so I plan on sticking with it for the long haul.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #38
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
It's about time. Droid accounts for 4 times the sales of apple. It's basically always one generation ahead. Apple sucks and is over priced for what you get. Stop drinking the Kool aid. Galaxy 6. Say thank you after you get it.
I'm glad that we even disagree on phones, thank you....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #39
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

This thread should be under the religion sub-forum!
It is the same rhetoric and hate between both camps with some people in-between trying to be reasonable.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #40
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
This is why I have an iphone. Last thing I want is a PC in my pocket. I just want to be able to call people, send text, browse a couple sites, check email and take pics. I want to be able to do that quickly and consistently. Reliability is key for me in a phone. I don't care much for bigger screens and faster processors etc.
Same. Which is why I will keep my iPhone5 until it breaks, which will probably be in 10 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #41
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Same. Which is why I will keep my iPhone5 until it breaks, which will probably be in 10 years or so.
Same reason I just bought the iPhone 5s. It's relatively small and does the basic stuff very well. I have my Samsung tablet for more extensive emailing and surfing, etc. Anything beyond that (Photoshop, MS Office stuff) and I'll wait until I'm at my laptop or PC.

I'm stunned at the image quality I'm seeing from the LG V10's camera, but damn that's a big piece of toast to hold against your face when making a call. Even if you do the speakerphone thing or use a headset, carrying that thing around would still be a hassle.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #42
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I'm currently carrying a Galaxy S6 Edge and I truly love it. The build quality is fantastic and the operating system has been trouble free, no glitches, force closes or freezes. My one recommendation is to learn the device and actually use your application manager. I went in and shut down/deleted probably 30% of the apps that came with the phone. I also changed a few of the developer options to help it run a bit smoother.

The thing I've found with androids is that they do so much people don't take the time to learn what the phone is capable of, so they download third party apps that do things the software will already do out of the box. A great example of this with the GS6 is virus protection apps and cleaning apps.

Apple makes a great product if everything you own is Apple and you're truly integrated, and you really aren't a power user... like somebody else said... kids and the elderly... people who buy the name and not the actual features.

Personally, I've tried both and Android is vastly superior. I had nothing but problems with my apple products. The final nails in the coffin were maxing out memory with cookies and temp files that on an android would take 10 seconds to erase... and all the issues with syncing between devices and icloud, etc.
      01-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #43
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post

Apple makes a great product if everything you own is Apple and you're truly integrated, and you really aren't a power user... like somebody else said... kids and the elderly... people who buy the name and not the actual features.
Again, I disagree with such generalities. I work in a university IT department and the vast majority of us use iMacs, Apple laptops, and iPhones. We're all "power users" and know how to get the most out of our devices.

At their core, most smart phones accomplish the same goals, just in different ways. Much like cars. It's the look and feel of each phone that makes them different. Use what you like, drive what you like, let others do the same.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #44
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post

Again, I disagree with such generalities. I work in a university IT department and the vast majority of us use iMacs, Apple laptops, and iPhones. We're all "power users" and know how to get the most out of our devices.

At their core, most smart phones accomplish the same goals, just in different ways. Much like cars. It's the look and feel of each phone that makes them different. Use what you like, drive what you like, let others do the same.
You're exactly right, at the end of the day every individual should use what they feel is right for them. As I said, Apple makes some great products and perhaps my statement was a bit general, I was specifically referring to the iPhone. Many may disagree but being that I work in the wireless industry I can say with confidence that the trend in demographics as to who is actually buying iphones has steadily moved more and more towards kids and elderly... people who either want the name or a very simple device.

The majority of iPhone users that we see these days are confused by things such as the cloud, syncing, iTunes and more often than not can't even remember their own passwords. When asked what they are looking for in a phone, or why they want the iPhone specifically their response is "it's an iPhone." They have no nidea what it does or that other devices do the same thing and often times more. Don't even try to ask them how force touch works or the differences between the standard iPhone and the plus... all they see is the size.

On the flip side the majority of Android users we see know all about what it does, how to add additional apps, widgets etc to get the most out of it. They know how to sync with their computers to download files without additional software, shut down apps and the differences between the different manufacturers.

Obviously there are exceptions to this, yourself being one of them. You have to remember though that just because you and your coworkers are in IT and are educated on how to use tech, the general public is not.

Imn my experience, most Apple users who start with an iPhone and go to Android wind up going back to iPhone. They're just too used to how the iPhone works. The opposite is also true, Android users wind up switching back to Android because they don't like how restrictive the iPhone is. The exception to this being those who's "families" all have iphones so they need it for face time, I message, etc.