BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What's this insect?

08-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #45
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Found this fellow when taking the cover off of the car after a few weeks away.

Sadly, he didn't survive the encounter...
Did you just assume HER gender?

T
R
I
G
G
E
R
E
D

Seriously though, the male probably lost his head after consummation of the marriage. She looked WAY pregnant, too.
Appreciate 1
dmatre663.00
      08-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #46
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Found this fellow when taking the cover off of the car after a few weeks away.

Sadly, (S)he didn't survive the encounter...

(edited for gender correctness)
Is that a black widow? Can believe you had the patience to take a picture! I just saw a 3" grass spider last week. Didn't know they could get that big (and neither did the internet)! Here is a stock photo. I did not have the patience to take a real photo as my focus was on capturing it before it ran away (they are very fast).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #47
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Is that a black widow? Can believe you had the patience to take a picture! I just saw a 3" grass spider last week. Didn't know they could get that big (and neither did the internet)! Here is a stock photo. I did not have the patience to take a real photo as my focus was on capturing it before it ran away (they are very fast).
I guess I have a bad habit of taking pictures of things I should be running from...

Was climbing up the back side of Table Mountain (Cape Town), and about 1 hour into the climb. Stopped for a break, and while sitting there, noticed a distinctive looking snake in the tree branch next to me (2-3 ft away). Took a photo of it, and continued the climb.

Checked the internet that evening back in the hotel. Turned out to be a boomslang. Probably should've just moved along rather than snapping the pic.

https://snake-facts.weebly.com/boomslang.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #48
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
I guess I have a bad habit of taking pictures of things I should be running from...

Was climbing up the back side of Table Mountain (Cape Town), and about 1 hour into the climb. Stopped for a break, and while sitting there, noticed a distinctive looking snake in the tree branch next to me (2-3 ft away). Took a photo of it, and continued the climb.

Checked the internet that evening back in the hotel. Turned out to be a boomslang. Probably should've just moved along rather than snapping the pic.

https://snake-facts.weebly.com/boomslang.html
. But cool looking snake.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #49
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
They like moisture and eat paper.

I keep finding them and have not found anything other than mention of boric acid. They drive me crazy. If you find anything please let me know!

As for Japanese beetles. I never had them. Lawn is fine. This year they invaded my cherry trees. I broke down and bought the beetle traps. I collected 8 overfilled bags of them!

The ones I have seen always look like this not the brown/red one posted? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle
I don't know if it's worth it buying boric, they seem to stick to my none toxic glue traps too. Do you use boric tablets or some sort of spray? I wonder if there's spray for insulation or something like that.

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 08-29-2020 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 10:17 PM   #50
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
They like moisture and eat paper.

I keep finding them and have not found anything other than mention of boric acid. They drive me crazy. If you find anything please let me know!

As for Japanese beetles. I never had them. Lawn is fine. This year they invaded my cherry trees. I broke down and bought the beetle traps. I collected 8 overfilled bags of them!

The ones I have seen always look like this not the brown/red one posted? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle
I don't know if it's worth it buying boric, they seem to stick to my none toxic glue traps too. Do you use boric tablets or some sort of spray? I wonder if they is spray for insulation or something like that.
I find them here and there so there is any one place to put a trap or chemicals.
Appreciate 0