BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

08-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #331
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

I’d put your finger right into those fluid spots to see what’s there.

The steering is electric, and the diff is on the other end of the car, so I’d imagine it’s oil, coolant, transmission fluid (transmission is supposed to be maintenance free and maybe sealed, but if it has fluid & seals it could leak), windshield wiper fluid or possibly fuel.

(On the unlikely chance that you have a fuel leak, I wouldn’t drive it until it’s been found and fixed - you don’t want it igniting on a hot header or other potential ignition source)

And I haven’t really gotten under the car, but IIRC there’s a panel on the underside of the front end & engine for aero, so things may be leaking out out in one place and appearing in another after dripping onto the panel and then dripping down to the ground somewhere else.

Hoping it’s nothing serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastakko View Post
Came home today and noticed fluid under my car where I usually park it. I hadn't driven my car for a almost 2 weeks so I'm thinking during this time some of the leaking oil accumulated enough to actually drip onto the garage floor.

Oddly enough it's on the driver side under the front bumper, but looks like it is trailing from further back. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this and what I should look out for, I've also noticed my fuel level has gone down somewhat from looking on Bimmerlink as well as the in car measurement app thingy.
Appreciate 1
Mastakko181.00
      08-10-2022, 08:54 PM   #332
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
I’d put your finger right into those fluid spots to see what’s there.

The steering is electric, and the diff is on the other end of the car, so I’d imagine it’s oil, coolant, transmission fluid (transmission is supposed to be maintenance free and maybe sealed, but if it has fluid & seals it could leak), windshield wiper fluid or possibly fuel.

(On the unlikely chance that you have a fuel leak, I wouldn’t drive it until it’s been found and fixed - you don’t want it igniting on a hot header or other potential ignition source)

And I haven’t really gotten under the car, but IIRC there’s a panel on the underside of the front end & engine for aero, so things may be leaking out out in one place and appearing in another after dripping onto the panel and then dripping down to the ground somewhere else.

Hoping it’s nothing serious!
Thanks, the reason I think it's oil is because it's clear gold liquid and doesn't dry/evaporate.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 02:41 AM   #333
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Yep, sounds like oil. Hopefully it’s an easy fix like a loose valve cover bolt.

Quote:
Thanks, the reason I think it's oil is because it's clear gold liquid and doesn't dry/evaporate.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 03:27 PM   #334
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Following up on this, I had some free time at lunch and took off the lower plastic panels. It's clearly coolant and you can see quite a bit has been sitting in there over time and drying out. You can see the slightly green tinge to the fluid.

This is right under the radiators on the driver side of the vehicle. Just behind where the bumper transitions into the plastic covers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 04:21 PM   #335
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Hopefully the leak isn't from the radiator itself, or a lose or damaged radiator hose.

First place I'd check is the overflow tank drain tube - someone might have put in too much coolant inadvertently as part of a courtesy check when you had it in for a service.

Quote:
Following up on this, I had some free time at lunch and took off the lower plastic panels. It's clearly coolant and you can see quite a bit has been sitting in there over time and drying out. You can see the slightly green tinge to the fluid.

This is right under the radiators on the driver side of the vehicle. Just behind where the bumper transitions into the plastic covers.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #336
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Hopefully the leak isn't from the radiator itself, or a lose or damaged radiator hose.

First place I'd check is the overflow tank drain tube - someone might have put in too much coolant inadvertently as part of a courtesy check when you had it in for a service.
Both reservoirs are pretty full, over max. Where is the drain tube located? I don't see any coolant leaking from near the reservoir anywhere on top of sides where it's visible.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 05:28 PM   #337
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Here's a good generic video on how the overflow tank works:

Also, some good info posted in this stickied technical guide: https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...3&d=1569377335 Info on the B46TU coolant system starts on page 13.

EDIT: found these before I thought to look in the Technical guide, so kinda' superfluous, but easily viewed:

Diagrams for 2019 G29 Z4 i30 coolant system. The diagrams shows 2 expansion/overflow tanks. It looks like the larger tank has a valve that isn't connected to any other coolant lines, so that's where I'd expect coolant to come out when the engine is hot and the expansion tank is overfilled.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_1362

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_1359

Per the user manual (page 299) the car may be overfilled from the factory - and the right way to get the level right is to just drive it and let the excess bleed out of the system when it's hot.

Quote:
Both reservoirs are pretty full, over max. Where is the drain tube located? I don't see any coolant leaking from near the reservoir anywhere on top of sides where it's visible.
Attached Images

Last edited by ebirotedu; 08-11-2022 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #338
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Creak / Rattle from the mid dash area

When going over certain bumps or certain types of pavement I am getting a creak or rattle from my dash. It sounds like it's coming from behind the screen or perhaps even in the center speaker area.

The creak occurs intermittently but I have experienced a time or two where I would get a constant vibration from that area if the pavement was just right.

Anyone else had something similar occur?

It isn't enough as this point to make me want to make a trip to the dealer but I will certainly bring it up at my next visit.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #339
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Sounds like an E89 problem deja vu
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 09:36 AM   #340
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I have 27,000 miles on my 2020 m40i, I am also getting a slight rattle in the dash area on the passenger side that seems temperature dependent, above 70f no rattle, also the passenger side speaker buzzes on certain low frequencies and it also gets worse the cooler it gets, last spring the dealer looked at it and found a loose piece of trim and replaced it and that seemed to fix it but now that it's cooler again the buzz is back and again only with certain songs, I checked the trim that was loose and it's fine, very annoying I will have them look again at the next service. Compared to the E85 squeaks and rattles pretty much everywhere and the E89 roof squeaks and rattles this car is very tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmanx1 View Post
When going over certain bumps or certain types of pavement I am getting a creak or rattle from my dash. It sounds like it's coming from behind the screen or perhaps even in the center speaker area.

The creak occurs intermittently but I have experienced a time or two where I would get a constant vibration from that area if the pavement was just right.

Anyone else had something similar occur?

It isn't enough as this point to make me want to make a trip to the dealer but I will certainly bring it up at my next visit.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:15 PM   #341
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Alarm (blinky light on rear view, and chirp when I walk way or to the vehicle) stopped working about 6 months ago. Dealer diagnosed a bad alarm module and was supposed to order a part, but never did. I just had a windshield replaced which is giving my rain / light sensor, as well as my knocking out my aircon control panel—no control or lights on the entire panel. After checking all of my fuses for the windshield stuff, I decided, for no real reason, to disco the main battery for an hour-ish. Viola, my bad alarm module is working normally now—still have other issues, but nice to know that a reboot can fix some things.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 04:31 AM   #342
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Engine Gremlins is a really old figure of speech for engine troubles isn't it.

Trust me none of the younglings today born before like 1993 at the latest use it, since they've never heard of it.

Shame really.

Imagine someone in the 80s saying "hey get in my dms and shoot ur digits so I can whatsapp u my snapchat profile on my tiktoks Twitter link to my Facebook page with my youtube Channel"

IQs have been dropping haven't they
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 04:22 PM   #343
jcolman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4M40i

I just bought a 2020 m401 with 2900 miles on it. The only issue I've experienced is that I cannot get the "speed warning" to turn off. I've been all through the settings, but no matter what I do, it stays on. Minor problem but I'd like to figure out how to stop it from chiming everything I go over the speed limit (which is most of the time)
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 05:46 PM   #344
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Speed Warning Principle
The speed warning can be used to set a speed
limit. A warning will be issued when this speed
limit is exceeded.

General information
The warning is repeated if the vehicle speed exceeds
the set speed limit again, after it has dropped
below it by 3 mph/5 km/h.

Adjusting
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "General settings"
4. "Speed warning"
5. "Warning at:"
6. Turn the Controller until the desired speed is displayed.
7. Press the Controller.

Activate/deactivate
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "General settings"
4. "Speed warning"
5. "Speed warning"
Appreciate 2
jcolman270.00
      12-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #345
jcolman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Speed Warning Principle
The speed warning can be used to set a speed
limit. A warning will be issued when this speed
limit is exceeded.

General information
The warning is repeated if the vehicle speed exceeds
the set speed limit again, after it has dropped
below it by 3 mph/5 km/h.

Adjusting
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "General settings"
4. "Speed warning"
5. "Warning at:"
6. Turn the Controller until the desired speed is displayed.
7. Press the Controller.

Activate/deactivate
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "General settings"
4. "Speed warning"
5. "Speed warning"
Thanks. I've tried to deactivate it but it still stays on. I'll try raising the speed limit to see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 09:20 AM   #346
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolman View Post
Thanks. I've tried to deactivate it but it still stays on. I'll try raising the speed limit to see if that helps.
Looks like your car has a mind of it own.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #347
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
thanks. I've tried to deactivate it but it still stays on. I'll try raising the speed limit to see if that helps.
You can change to off & don't warn on the last screen.
Name:  2113E671-3727-48CF-A3FC-889723F2BEC6.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  45BD213E-72C0-49E7-90D5-FA118319080A.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  160.3 KB

Name:  8D72F9B6-6A75-44ED-AEBC-F63FD11A13A0.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  157.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 06:07 AM   #348
jcolman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
You can change to off & don't warn on the last screen.
Attachment 3056686

Attachment 3056687

Attachment 3056688
This is the screen I've tried to change to "off" to no avail. I've tried un-checking the boxes and nothing changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 06:24 AM   #349
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
This is the screen I've tried to change to "off" to no avail. I've tried un-checking the boxes and nothing changes.
Have you also adjusted the settings posted by COKen? Suggest dealer visit if yes.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 08:11 PM   #350
jcolman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Have you also adjusted the settings posted by COKen? Suggest dealer visit if yes.
I went through it all again and this time it seems to be turned off. I don't know what I did different but it looks like it worked.
Appreciate 2
stlcdr1014.50
      12-16-2022, 09:33 PM   #351
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I went through it all again and this time it seems to be turned off. I don't know what I did different but it looks like it worked.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 02:59 PM   #352
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Having similar issue to others with pedestrian and front collision warning sensors and also my active cruise is not working. Something with one of the sensors is off or the radar module has failed. Happened in the rain the other night while I was driving, curious if anyone has had similar problems in similar conditions.

It's been a few days and few power cycles of the car. When looking at codes in the car I do see an active cruise control sensor malfunction from bimmerlink.
Appreciate 0