BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Yard freaks

09-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #661
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

exactly 17 days later here's what the overseeding looks like! this was a barespot that's filling in nicely. again, this is GCI Pete's Turf Type Tall Fescue

and here's the yard. took a bunch of pictures to show you guys! it's doing very well. haven't mowed the lawn for 17 days and I can't mow until the 15th of this month which would be a total of 3 weeks. grass is about 6"+ tall

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      09-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #662
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

ay look at the domination line! BTW, my neighbor has brown patches everywhere on his lawn because he decided to use a Weed and Grass killer to kill of his weeds. I asked him what he was doing and he showed me what he's using and I told him that's going to not only kill the weed...but the grass as well! sure enough his lawn looks like a spotted leopard lol!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      09-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #663
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Nikko blue which never turned blue lol is huge!

Summer Sweet Hydrangeas doing well. rained quite a bit they flopped over

not sure what these are called but they are a bee haven!

found this bird nest in my Norway Spruce

Pinky Winky Hydrangea blooming
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      09-11-2019, 06:26 AM   #664
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

You have such a beautiful yard. I'll get some pictures later today.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #665
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
haven't mowed the lawn for 17 days and I can't mow until the 15th of this month which would be a total of 3 weeks. grass is about 6"+ tall
Contacting HOA now

I started watering last week, so that for my son's bday party on the 21st it will look nice. That last bag of Milorganite got spread around. I had forgotten how bad that smells once you apply water!
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #666
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

So I know I have st. Augustine grass there. What else is going on?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #667
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Contacting HOA now

I started watering last week, so that for my son's bday party on the 21st it will look nice. That last bag of Milorganite got spread around. I had forgotten how bad that smells once you apply water!
Milo... the smell of success! ~Allyn Hayne "The Lawn Care Nut"

their price for Milo has gone up from what I use to pay $12.64 to $15 a bag. I would need 10 bags for my lawn @ $150. CarbonX is only $64.95 and 1 bag covers all my yard so i'm saving big time plus it's gone more nutrients than Milo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
So I know I have st. Augustine grass there. What else is going on?
all I see is St Augustine. looks really good. nice, thick and green!

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 09-11-2019 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #668
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

What does everyone put down for weed prevention?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #669
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What does everyone put down for weed prevention?
here's what I use early Spring. good for 3 months. this will take care of all Crabgrass and Broadleaf weeds.

anything that still comes through i'll spot treat using this from Menards
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #670
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

This is my first season w/o Turf Care and my 2nd season w/ a lawn I had to maintain so I'm learning a LOT this year. Experienced the joys of no pre-M this year but also believe I needed a fungicide regimen under Turf Care and now. I put down a Group 3 a while back and it solved an early onset of rust. Unfortunately, I believe I have brown patch and leaf spot after the cool nights, rains, and humidity. My Group 3 will work but it is recommended to switch up which group is used so the bastards are less likely to develop a resistance to it. Hot damn....Group 11's are pricey. Looks like Azoxy 50 WDG will be the most cost effective at $188/16oz.

For weeds, I'll likely used either Dimension and/or Prodiamine as pre-M's. I found a local nursery that sells a 25-0-5 fert (prills) that has Dimension as part of the mix. I'll use that for my late spring fert. Then use Prodiamine as a follow-on pre-M late summer.

For spot (or blanket) spraying, I've been using either Q4+ or T-zone. It just depends on what is coming up in my lawn. The latter is cheaper and does a # of broadleaf weeds but the former will handle a wider array of broadleaf (incl crabgrass). I bought a big jug of both from Lawn & Pest Control Supply. I use it in conjunction w/ Signal (blue dye) so I can see what/where I've sprayed.

https://www.lawnandpestcontrolsupply...iant=289408798
https://www.lawnandpestcontrolsupply...105eb386&_ss=r
https://www.lawnandpestcontrolsupply...a46e98d2&_ss=r
https://www.lawnandpestcontrolsupply...5e16f98a&_ss=r
https://www.domyown.com/prime-source...e-p-12184.html
      09-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #671
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've been wasting a lot of time looking up different grass seeds (cultivars, blends, etc...). Man...this is a deep rabbit hole. Finally picked something and....can't buy it locally since the only distributors are wholesalers that won't sell to the public. lol

Maybe I'll just order a 50lb bag of Appalachain KBG and a couple of bags of GCI TTTF. It is tempting to get Award or another premium/elite grass but I can't stomach the price at Super Seed Store (which is the only place I can find that will sell to homeowners). I have a lot of clump fescue in my backyard right now and I'm not sure where it is from but I did do a spring overseed w/ the GCI seed. However, I did still have a lot of thin areas so maybe some crap got in that way (and via the bulk compost/soil mix I got in the spring).
      09-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #672
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I've been wasting a lot of time looking up different grass seeds (cultivars, blends, etc...). Man...this is a deep rabbit hole. Finally picked something and....can't buy it locally since the only distributors are wholesalers that won't sell to the public. lol

Maybe I'll just order a 50lb bag of Appalachain KBG and a couple of bags of GCI TTTF. It is tempting to get Award or another premium/elite grass but I can't stomach the price at Super Seed Store (which is the only place I can find that will sell to homeowners). I have a lot of clump fescue in my backyard right now and I'm not sure where it is from but I did do a spring overseed w/ the GCI seed. However, I did still have a lot of thin areas so maybe some crap got in that way (and via the bulk compost/soil mix I got in the spring).
I had a lot of clumping tall fescue and what I did is I dug them all up. the cool thing about it was when I planted my 5 Autumn Blaze maples the grass that was removed I used to fill in those spots after the clumping fescue was removed. as far as the grass seeds I went with Pete's GCI tall fescue only because he shows everything he's done to it. so after a year of his seed being out and showing what he's been doing throughout the season I knew this was the cultivar I wanted to go with. so moving forward every end of the season in Fall I will overseed with GCI until that's all that's in my yard. i'm already 3 weeks and 2 days into the overseeding and the seed is doing sooooo well. I was suppose to cut the grass over the Weekend but it rained. i'm off tomorrow so i'll be able to tackle on getting the lawn cut as i'll need to use the lawn sweeper to pick everything up since i'll have grass all over the lawn being so tall. as you can see the grass is already 12" long in some areas lol! but the color is a nice dark green. I can't wait to see what the grass looks like when it's mature here in a few weeks.

here's that bare spot before

and after

after I get it cut i'll put down my last application of RGS/Humic12 for the year

Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      09-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #673
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I had a lot of clumping tall fescue and what I did is I dug them all up. the cool thing about it was when I planted my 5 Autumn Blaze maples the grass that was removed I used to fill in those spots after the clumping fescue was removed. as far as the grass seeds I went with Pete's GCI tall fescue only because he shows everything he's done to it. so after a year of his seed being out and showing what he's been doing throughout the season I knew this was the cultivar I wanted to go with. so moving forward every end of the season in Fall I will overseed with GCI until that's all that's in my yard. i'm already 3 weeks and 2 days into the overseeding and the seed is doing sooooo well. I was suppose to cut the grass over the Weekend but it rained. i'm off tomorrow so i'll be able to tackle on getting the lawn cut as i'll need to use the lawn sweeper to pick everything up since i'll have grass all over the lawn being so tall. as you can see the grass is already 12" long in some areas lol! but the color is a nice dark green. I can't wait to see what the grass looks like when it's mature here in a few weeks.
I'm curious how broad the blades are. People seem happy w/ his blend of elite cultivars. I was thinking it was more of a medium blade. Honestly, I like the idea of the benefits of TTTF but I don't like a broad blade. Please post a pic of the GCI turf once it matures a bit. I don't think that is my current bane but, at the same time, am not sure. I think the clumping crap is more a weedy TF but am playing it safe this fall and sticking w/ KBG.

For now, I actually went overboard and ordered a 50lb bag each of Appalachian and Concerto KBG from a place in WI. I forgot that I wasn't going to tackle the entire backyard this fall (due to time), just certain sections. lol

I'll also see if my favorite local equipment store has their KBG/Rye blend in stock this weekend. These seeds would be coated which will help my water bill more than anything but the cultivars should have better root depth and good disease and insect resistance.

My front has just a few areas in need of TLC but has otherwise been pretty good. Even w/ recent lawn disease it is still pretty good (lots of warm days and cool, humid nights). A little bit of dollar spot but not bad. A little bit of brown patch but no massive die off.

The back is what needs the most love (still) given rust coming in on some areas (no where near as bad as past years, though), some leaf spot, brown patch, and red thread (I think). It was doing so well up until I had some work trips! Going to do a single treatment with propicanizole then follow up w/ Azoxystrobin next month. Probably lay some Humic-12 or RGS at the same time.

I ordered Agri-Fab's 52" lawn sweeper as well as an electric dethatcher off Amazon. The latter is only 14" wide but people seem to love it. I don't mind more walking. Had to order some pretty long, 12AWG extension cords, though. lol Mowed down to 2.75" this past weekend. Will probably set it to 2.5" or 2.25" next time (depending on growth). I may not overseed until next weekend but we'll see.

Both cultivars should have good resistance to common lawn disease. If I end up getting the coated seed from Russo this Sat, it'll be even better and have better root depth. I'll use that stuff in the front yard and the online stuff in the back.

Last edited by bosstones; 09-17-2019 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #674
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Almost time!
Attached Images

09-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #675
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Ok well I put down a treatment of FungEx, DiseaseEx, and Weed & Feed. I used Scotts and followed the directions to the T. It might seem like a large treatment, but it should be ok.

I've been watching this guy "how to with doc" on youtube. Very good information.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #676
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Almost time!
nice fruit!
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      09-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #677
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Almost time!
Haas is the best kind. Put some rodent trap cause they love avocados.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      09-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #678
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Quote:
Almost time!
Haas is the best kind. Put some rodent trap cause they love avocados.
We have a ton of rabbits, squirrels, and chipmunks. My backyard backs to a green belt. If I put traps out, I would just have an endless supply of dead animals. lol
Attached Images

bosstones1144.00
      09-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #679
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok well I put down a treatment of FungEx, DiseaseEx, and Weed & Feed. I used Scotts and followed the directions to the T. It might seem like a large treatment, but it should be ok.

I've been watching this guy "how to with doc" on youtube. Very good information.
I liked Doc in the beginning but he's just about marketing nowadays. always pushing his product which is quite effing annoying. His SuperJuice is actually a debate as it was proven quite a few times it's all gimmick. I stick with Allyn Haye "The Lawn Care Nut" Pete with GCI Turf, Ryan Knorr Lawn Care and Lawn Ginga for advice.

us cool grass it's already past putting any Fungus treatments since the Summers are over. dormancy is upon us in the next couple of months
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #680
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Should be okay. If the FungEx and DiseaseEx are different Group fungicides, it is okay. Doubling up beyond a single preventative or curative dose of the same group isn't recommended unless maybe(?) each tackles a different disease.

Not familiar with FungEx but I have a few bags (4) of DiseaseEx I never put down. Mainly because of how many more bags I would need for my square footage (approx 32k sq ft of yard) and I would need 13 bags (@ $20/bag) for a curative rate (which unfortunately what I need). It uses the Group 11 fungicide Azoxystrobin which I just bought in liquid concentrate form. DiseaseEx should work good for you, though. I keep checking to see if maybe CostCo ever has large bags of it. lol

Doc is in my YT rotation of lawn vids. I like Lawn Ginja, too. Both have less pomp and circumstance with their vids and get to the point. TLN has been going more production-y with his vids and I find myself referring more to his older vids than his recent ones.

Unfortunately for me, it has been raining (medium to hard) almost all day this weekend so far. I haven't been able to do anything aside from dropping my mow height to 2.5" on Friday night. Wanted to get down to 2" then run the thatcher in some areas, core aerate, thrown down fert and a cocktail of fungicide & humic acid, and overseed but not happening this weekend and I doubt I'll have time to do anything until next weekend. My fall window is closing. I may just core aerate, fert/cocktail, and overseed the lawn at this point. Maybe even only cover some of the backyard instead of all of it.
      09-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #681
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Unfortunately for me, it has been raining (medium to hard) almost all day this weekend so far. I haven't been able to do anything aside from dropping my mow height to 2.5" on Friday night. Wanted to get down to 2" then run the thatcher in some areas, core aerate, thrown down fert and a cocktail of fungicide & humic acid, and overseed but not happening this weekend and I doubt I'll have time to do anything until next weekend. My fall window is closing. I may just core aerate, fert/cocktail, and overseed the lawn at this point. Maybe even only cover some of the backyard instead of all of it.
Yep I had plans to do a lot this weekend but it was pretty windy and threatening to rain all day yesterday, with more of the same this morning. Too windy to use a spreader or sprayer. Well, at least I got to fertilize the palm trees, tabebuiaa, gardenia, Italian cypress and juniper yesterday.

Has anyone used Yard Mastery .172% Dithiopyr as a pre-emergent? LCN recommends fall application here to suppress crab grass and some other weeds that sprout up in fall / winter. I bought a 50 lb. bag from his site to try. Should provide with me 2 applications.
bosstones1144.00
      09-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #682
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Yep I had plans to do a lot this weekend but it was pretty windy and threatening to rain all day yesterday, with more of the same this morning. Too windy to use a spreader or sprayer. Well, at least I got to fertilize the palm trees, tabebuiaa, gardenia, Italian cypress and juniper yesterday.

Has anyone used Yard Mastery .172% Dithiopyr as a pre-emergent? LCN recommends fall application here to suppress crab grass and some other weeds that sprout up in fall / winter. I bought a 50 lb. bag from his site to try. Should provide with me 2 applications.
Too windy here, too. Didn't even get to manual rake a couple of areas in-between rains today.

Haven't used it myself, but one of the ferts I have in my stash has Dimension in the prills. I was going to use it next spring. Dimension is the 'trade name' for Dithiopyr (and easier to pronounce ). It appears to be one of the more common pre-M's that I've come across, with the other being Prodiamine and, to a lesser extent, Mesotrione (aka Tenacity).

Dimension/Dithiopyr can reportedly also be used as a post-emergent for crabgrass that has grown up to, I think, the 3rd tiller stage. Nothing wrong w/ that!