BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion International BMW warranty?

12-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

International BMW warranty?

I am looking to buy two new vehicles from Canada and send them to Europe so I can have them there when I go there every year.

I have asked my Sales Associate about the warranty coverage and he looked into it for me.
To my surprise the warranty that they offer is 2 years while here in Canada we have 4 years or 80,000 km, whichever occurs first.

I am (very) unpleasantly surprised by this.

I mean a KIA has in Europe 7 years warranty and a BMW has two?
Fiat has 5 years or 100,000, Peugeot 4 years or 100,000, and those are not reliable vehicles and cost waaay less.

What about no warranty? Screw it! Give me the money and deal yourself with water pumps, chain assembly and so on.

If that is the case, I most likely do not buy the cars. Rather look for a used one, so I will be in the same boat anyway, with no warranty, but at least that is at least 30% less in price.

Can extra warranty be bought in there or not? If yes, how much?

Does anyone did this and can share the info?

Thanks.

Last edited by Teutonic; 12-16-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Where in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Not following why you would bother buying 2 cars in Canada and then immeditely shipping them to Europe. Everything from hassle to warranty becomes far simpler if you buy them there.

I think purchased warranties are a waste of money in the long term. They sell you a warranty, paying sales people, literature, overhead, claims people, then after paying claims still make a good profit. They also do whatever possible to not pay the claim. If you have the money to live part time in Canada and Europe, shipping two cars over to use them part of the year in Europe, can't you just have a few thousand dollars in the bank to cover unforseen out of warranty repairs? Long term the vast majority would come out ahead doing this over forever buying extended warranties.
      12-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Where in Europe?
Don't see the relevance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Not following why you would bother buying 2 cars in Canada and then immeditely shipping them to Europe. Everything from hassle to warranty becomes far simpler if you buy them there.

I think purchased warranties are a waste of money in the long term. They sell you a warranty, paying sales people, literature, overhead, claims people, then after paying claims still make a good profit. They also do whatever possible to not pay the claim. If you have the money to live part time in Canada and Europe, shipping two cars over to use them part of the year in Europe, can't you just have a few thousand dollars in the bank to cover unforseen out of warranty repairs? Long term the vast majority would come out ahead doing this over forever buying extended warranties.
First of all, there is no hassle. It costs me $3000 to ship 2 cars with a friend of mine.
Secondly, cars are cheaper in Canada and they come loaded with a package or two while there you must pick every little item which is annoying. Another car is already paid for and want to ship it there as I will buy a different vehicle here. I do not want to sell it as I will loose money after one year (I buy them cash) and is low km. Plus, my cars are pretty much special orders. Here it has three years of warranty left, there one?
Third, I have ordered a special edition vehicle that is not available in Europe.
Fourth, it is not about money or unforeseen issues as it is about the discrepancies between the warranties offered here versus there. WHY? A warranty should be the same and fulfilled everywhere. I mean, one reason I buy a new car for is warranty since a used one can get some problems and a new one not really; I mean dollars here, or dollars there? Same story but have a new car... Or in this case, I don't see the reason to spend that extra cash for a vehicle when the warranty is soo little as I am practically in a similar boat since the "unlimited mileage" will not do it for me as I will never put the mileage anyway.
Fifth, I buy the cars new and always bought extra warranty.

I am a man of principles and I will fight for a principle (or refuse to buy for that matter for a principle).
There should be no differences as the vehicles are the same and from the same manufacturer.
Why the discrimination?

Last edited by Teutonic; 12-18-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I would ask an additional question: Are there any problems bring a relatively new Canada version car to Europe? Will it require retrofitting?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I would ask an additional question: Are there any problems bring a relatively new Canada version car to Europe? Will it require retrofitting?
Not really. The rear light signal must be reprogramed to flash yellow instead of red (if LED). The dash board works as Canada is in metric and the dash board requires no replacement. (the new ones are digital so much easier as is al software that can be updated by a local dealer).

They also need to have fog lamps but all mine have that. Even my E84 X1 had no fog lights in the rear, but I have installed a new lights switch and everything worked like a charm since even the fog bulbs were installed in the rear.

If the tail lights have a red bulb signal in the rear, you will either replace the bulb with an amber one, either replace the tail light.

The laser headlights are also set to half length in Canada versus Europe as all BMW laser lights in Europe are set to shoot way longer once you passed 70 km/h.

Last edited by Teutonic; 12-18-2020 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
First of all, there is no hassle. It costs me $3000 to ship 2 cars with a friend of mine.
Secondly, cars are cheaper in Canada and they come loaded with a package or two while there you must pick every little item which is annoying. Another car is already paid for and want to ship it there as I will buy a different vehicle here. I do not want to sell it as I will loose money after one year (I buy them cash) and is low km. Plus, my cars are pretty much special orders. Here it has three years of warranty left, there one?
Third, I have ordered a special edition vehicle that is not available in Europe.
Fourth, it is not about money or unforeseen issues as it is about the discrepancies between the warranties offered here versus there. WHY? A warranty should be the same and fulfilled everywhere. I mean, one reason I buy a new car for is warranty since a used one can get some problems and a new one not really; I mean dollars here, or dollars there? Same story but have a new car... Or in this case, I don't see the reason to spend that extra cash for a vehicle when the warranty is soo little as I am practically in a similar boat since the "unlimited mileage" will not do it for me as I will never put the mileage anyway.
Fifth, I buy the cars new and always bought extra warranty.

I am a man of principles and I will fight for a principle (or refuse to buy for that matter for a principle).
There should be no differences as the vehicles are the same and from the same manufacturer.
Why the discrimination?
I work for a manufacturer and we have different warranties depending on where the product was sold and where it is now, we can write almost anything we want into the warranty as long as it doesn't break the law (time of warranty isn't an issue). We have all types of exclusions and requirements for us to pay out on the warranty (use, where it is repaired, mileage, time, what is covered, exclusions). If you own a car or want to buy one and take it to another country I suggest you read the warranty. Good luck on your fight and principles, my money is on them and how their warranty is written. There is no discrimination, much like the price, the warranty changes depending on the country you are in.
      12-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Don't see the relevance.
Don’t see the relevance? Europe is not one single country. You asked whether you can buy additional warranty there. Depending whether you will be in Germany or, let’s say, Italy or Spain, you will face completely different warranty regulations and options.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Don’t see the relevance? Europe is not one single country. You asked whether you can buy additional warranty there. Depending whether you will be in Germany or, let’s say, Italy or Spain, you will face completely different warranty regulations and options.
All above mentioned are at 2 years as well the rest.
Local extended warranty is one thing and I will deal with it locally, BMW new car warranty is another.
I am interested in BMW's official warranty and why is 4 years here and 2 in Europe.

Again, other manufacturers (cheaper and less reliable vehicles) have 4-5 years in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #10
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I work for a manufacturer and we have different warranties depending on where the product was sold and where it is now, we can write almost anything we want into the warranty as long as it doesn't break the law (time of warranty isn't an issue). We have all types of exclusions and requirements for us to pay out on the warranty (use, where it is repaired, mileage, time, what is covered, exclusions). If you own a car or want to buy one and take it to another country I suggest you read the warranty. Good luck on your fight and principles, my money is on them and how their warranty is written. There is no discrimination, much like the price, the warranty changes depending on the country you are in.
I understand your point. My principle is that warranty should be the same as is the same manufacturer. I see it as a insult to the others that receive less.
Keep in mind that a similar BMW in Europe is more money, yet they get half warranty. Why?

Of course there is discrimination.
"Use"- You will use it like everyone else. The vehicle is made to work on all roads. Or not? Is France, Germany, Italy, Greece (you should see Greece's new highways), etc., are that lower in quality? Germany even has Autobahn, USA and Canada do not. Also living here I can tell you that at least in Canada, you can get gravel and salt on the road while in Europe not so much, not to mention some areas that have no snow.
"Where is it repaired" - It will be repaired at a AUTHORIZED DEALER OF COURSE! That is a facility accredited by BMW to fulfill all the requirements. I never serviced anywhere else. Otherwise you loose the warranty anyway.
"Mileage" - Mileage or year whichever occurs first. I get that. Actually in Europe is unlimited. Why? distances are short. In Canada I must drive to buy a bread, In Europe is at every corner. So mileage is mileage and I get it.
"time"? - Don't get this one.
"what is covered"- shouldn't be covered like all others? Why the difference? Should be this a point that might contribute to the idea that some vehicles have a different quality (depending on the market?)

An I will not fight anyone about it, I will just not buy a BMW from BMW if that is the case. Period.

I will take one of them that is already paid for and I own, but not buy another one as I want to vote against this discriminatory practice.

I wanted to know if a BMW purchased in Canada will benefit from its 4 years warranty as stipulated in the warranty book.
And my taken is that it should as that particular vehicle when I bought it, I bought it with 4 year warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:34 PM   #11
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
I understand your point. My principle is that warranty should be the same as is the same manufacturer. I see it as a insult to the others that receive less.
Keep in mind that a similar BMW in Europe is more money, yet they get half warranty. Why?

"Use"- You will use it like everyone else. The vehicle is made to work on all roads. Or not? Is France, Germany, Italy, Greece (you should see Greece's new highways), etc., are that lower in quality? Germany even has Autobahn, USA and Canada do not. Also living here I can tell you that at least in Canada, you can get gravel and salt on the road while in Europe not so much, not to mention some areas that have no snow.
"Where is it repaired" - It will be repaired at a AUTHORIZED DEALER OF COURSE! That is a facility accredited by BMW to fulfill all the requirements. I never serviced anywhere else. Otherwise you loose the warranty anyway.
"Mileage" - Mileage or year whichever occurs first. I get that. Actually in Europe is unlimited. Why? distances are short. In Canada I must drive to buy a bread, In Europe is at every corner. So mileage is mileage and I get it.
"what is covered"- shouldn't be covered like all others? Why the difference? Should be this a point that might contribute to the idea that some vehicles have a different quality (depending on the market?)

An I will not fight anyone about it, I will just not buy a BMW from BMW if that is the case. Period.

I will take one of them that is already paid for and I own, but not buy another one as I want to vote against this discriminatory practice.

I wanted to know if a BMW purchased in Canada will benefit from its 4 years warranty as stipulated in the warranty book.
And my taken is that it should as that particular vehicle when I bought it, I bought it with 4 year warranty.
Don't know if it's in Canada warranty terms or not, but in the US Warranty you get 4 years but it can only be serviced in the US.

Quote:
To obtain warranty service coverage, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a defect in material or workmanship, to the workshop of any authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico) during normal business hours.

So technically you have 4 years of warranty coverage but the warranty is coverage is only supported by US BMW shops (Canada or Mexico BMW won't fix something for example). I'm guessing when converting BMW of that country does a good will of giving an extra warranty for that country for remaining of 2 years.

The same thing happens for European Delivery and maintenance. If you drive over 1200 miles you have to pay for the break in maintenance out of pocket and BMWUSA will goodwill reimburse you for it. They don't have to and it's not in any contract.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      12-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
If you look on the BMW GB site you'll see it's no different over there in terms of a car from outside the importer's jurisdiction. UK offers 3-years unlimited mile warranty on new BMWs but it drops to two-years if the car is taken out of the area. BMW USA and NA offer 4-years/50k which is not honored outside US/NA.

BMW USA also includes 3-years of maintenance which isn't offered or honored outside the USA. Even our CPO warranty doesn't apply when you cross the border. It's built into pricing and marketing. US consumers demand and are used to longer warranties. It is BMW's cost of doing business here.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      12-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #13
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

I have a friend in Austria, 3 years ago he was buying X6 35i, nothing special, 120t euros, dealer gave him 2% discount, same car in Canada at that time was 90t$ or 60t euros.
Plus their warranty is 2years, Canada 4 years, crazy difference.
Back to your question , your warranty outside Canada is non existing.
      12-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #14
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also add that manufacturers don't want you to buy a new car in one country/market and move it to another. They have it priced to compete in the market they are in and the price in another market could be lower (or with a longer warranty), because they have to do it in that market to compete.

I don't know if it still true but at one point Chrysler wouldn't honor the warranty for cars originally sold in Canada that were moved to the U.S. Goes to show they can do what they want and there isn't anything you can do about it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...e%20automaker.

Quote:
Effective with the 2003 model year, any Chrysler vehicle bought in Canada and resold in the U.S. won't carry factory warranty coverage.

Chrysler is attempting to stop the flow of Canadian vehicles into the U.S., where they are then sold for thousands of dollars less and result in significant losses for the automaker.

Chrysler will join Honda, Nissan and Hyundai, the other automakers that refuse to honor the warranty on such so-called gray market cars. General Motors and Ford also face the problem but have not taken any action.
      12-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #15
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:

While in spirit I agree with you in actuality this isn't the case. BMW corporate has no obligation or interest in allowing warranties to be internationally or at minimum out of market transferable. "The manufacturer "bmw" is just the farm where the grain is harvested they then transfer the cars to local subsidiaries, post cereal for this analogy, who then sells to your local dealer who sells to you. The last step is a bit different in different global markets but the process holds.

This is important because bmw corporate doesn't not warranty the car your local market does. For example bmwusa. On top of that there are totally different pricing structures in different markets, it's a fact bmws are relatively cheaper in the Americas. One of the reasons they block most international warranty transposing is because people would buy in cheap markets and import
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      12-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #16
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post
Don't know if it's in Canada warranty terms or not, but in the US Warranty you get 4 years but it can only be serviced in the US.

So technically you have 4 years of warranty coverage but the warranty is coverage is only supported by US BMW shops (Canada or Mexico BMW won't fix something for example). I'm guessing when converting BMW of that country does a good will of giving an extra warranty for that country for remaining of 2 years.

The same thing happens for European Delivery and maintenance. If you drive over 1200 miles you have to pay for the break in maintenance out of pocket and BMWUSA will goodwill reimburse you for it. They don't have to and it's not in any contract.
I disagree on warranty... Canada and USA, the 4 years are the same in either country. it is covered by BMW NA. I have repaired a Canadian VIN in USA and paid $0
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

If you're buying two new cars and shipping them overseas to Europe to have them on vacation.. it does not seem like the amount of money potentially saved by having a warranty on the cars would be a sticking point.

At that point you could just as easily buy CPO cars in Europe that are already federalized for the target country, saving the depreciation, saving the cost of federalization, and having a factory warranty.

That's if logic is present in any of this.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #18
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post

At that point you could just as easily buy CPO cars in Europe that are already federalized for the target country, saving the depreciation, saving the cost of federalization, and having a factory warranty.

That's if logic is present in any of this.
If a new one has two years warranty what warranty is in a CPO?
And to have a CPO with warranty it must be under two years so no depreciation. Why would I buy a one year old or two years old vehicle? the 1-2 yo vehicles prices are so close to new one that it doesn't make sense to buy a car that I don't know how was "formatted".
On the other hand I don't want a car that was used, so what's your point?

i was talking about the warranty discrepancies as a brand like BMW should stand behind the product for a longer time and there should not be a difference in warranty.
Appreciate 0