RavenGX
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
Thank you, Raven. I appreciate the assist with this!
no problem

I used to have some problems to, for me it was on the top of the hill I would scratch the bottom of the car behind the driver seat.
This happened only with the 18" winter wheels from BMW, turns out that made about a 7mm height difference in the rear.
So I had to buy a new set of wheels to clear my driveway.

I hesitated a long time if i would put on the side skirts. In the end I put some styrofoam on the side of the car to see if it would work.
Its very close to the ground now, I think that after a big meal and i would probably scrape them

But i'm so happy with the result.
      11-28-2022, 07:11 AM   #24
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I'm sure that is worth trying, but when I back into my driveway at any angle, the air dam rubs, but if I go in forward it doesn't rub.
OOF, that steep of a slope eh?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 07:46 AM   #25
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
OOF, that steep of a slope eh?
More the dip than the slope.
Appreciate 2
Horseman4146.50
stlcdr1020.50
      11-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #26
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
More the dip than the slope.
Yes, that's usually the problem; there's a rain gutter, road camber drop-off, just before the slope to a driveway. This gives an issue with the nose (or rear) but generally not a problem for the side skirts.

There's a gas station that I usually go to which has a 'dip' before the slope up. going in doesn't seem to be an issue, but coming out the front rubber/plastic air dams will rub on the road. It seems they rub before the actual body-work.
      11-30-2022, 11:26 AM   #27
SouthernYankee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 Z4 sdrive30i Misano/Magma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
Hi All,

I need a little guidance please....

I'm considering a 2020/2021 Z4 M40 to replace my end of lease 440GC and I'm a little concerned about scraping the front bumper entering/exiting my moderately steep driveway.

I don't have access to an M40 to simply test it so I'm trying to gauge if it will make it up without incident by comparison to others that have. Additionally, I checked Turo and there are no Z4's for rent in the Atlanta Area.

My 2019 440GC makes it with 2+ inches to spare but the front overhang is 5.2" less than the Z4.

My previous 1999 M Roadster and a friends 2023 C8 (without front lift) both made it (the C8 was very close though - about 1/3" to spare) so I'm thinking I'm ok.

The C8 apparently has a 4.5" longer front overhang than the Z4 (36.2 vs 40.7) and the general bumper height is about the same while the M Roadster overhang is about 5" less than the Z4.

If I take the math/geometry approach, is it simply a measure of the slope of my driveway versus the slope of the z4 from the tire contact patch up to the lowest, forward most point of the bumper when approaching at an angle?

Any suggestions on how I can best get comfortable with this before buying a car out of state would be appreciated.
I had the very same concerns. BMW South Atlanta let me take a weekend long test drive in a CPO Z4. Turns out the Zed and the driveway are compatible so I went back and ordered one! Since you're in the area, you might want to give them a call.
Appreciate 0