BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2022 Hummer EV "Supertruck" and 2024 Hummer SUV Revealed

10-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

$80K buys a lot of gas.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
$80K buys a lot of gas.
Sure, but you have to buy a truck to put it in. If you don't want a super truck that runs on electrons, you can pick up one of these gas burning equivalents:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/trx.html

For $70k instead of $80k, and spend the rest of fueling up. Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      10-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sure, but you have to buy a truck to put it in. If you don't want a super truck that runs on electrons, you can pick up one of these gas burning equivalents:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/trx.html

For $70k instead of $80k, and spend the rest of fueling up. Different strokes for different folks.
Well as probably the only person on this thread who actually owns a GM Hummer pickup truck I decided to add my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #26
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
$80K buys a lot of gas.
I would say that the average price of trucks in the parking lot at my work is between $50-$70K. There are several loaded Escalades as well, and those are pretty much all over $100K.

$100K for a luxury truck that is full electric would appeal to many folks I imagine. Not that expensive as compared to a lot of newer cars and trucks these days.
      10-30-2020, 12:58 AM   #27
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

The problem with these electric "trucks" is they can't do truck shit. At least I have not seen any specs or tests on what kind of range you get with these actually towing anything. I have seen people test the Model X towing at it's max rated capacity and the range was abysmal. So you will have to charge the thing every couple of miles... not a huge deal until you try parking at the charger with a 30 foot trailer.... My truck new was probably like $80k (obviously I did not buy it new or pay $80k) however my truck can easily tow my 32' trailer (or bigger) for like 500-600 miles on one tank. Then I can easily pull into any truck stop and fill her up in 5min.

Now if they want to call it an electric SUV that's fine. Maybe it can tow a small boat down the street to the boat ramp.
Appreciate 2
jmack548.50
stein_325i25051.00
      10-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #28
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The problem with these electric "trucks" is they can't do truck shit. At least I have not seen any specs or tests on what kind of range you get with these actually towing anything. I have seen people test the Model X towing at it's max rated capacity and the range was abysmal. So you will have to charge the thing every couple of miles... not a huge deal until you try parking at the charger with a 30 foot trailer.... My truck new was probably like $80k (obviously I did not buy it new or pay $80k) however my truck can easily tow my 32' trailer (or bigger) for like 500-600 miles on one tank. Then I can easily pull into any truck stop and fill her up in 5min.

Now if they want to call it an electric SUV that's fine. Maybe it can tow a small boat down the street to the boat ramp.
You're aware that based on recent surveys - less than 15% of all new full size truck buyers have ever used the trailer hitch and less than 40% of all new full size truck buyers have ever used the bed for anything that wouldn't normally be put into a trunk, right?

Fact is that the majority of new full size truck buyers utilize pick ups in the exact same fashion as a Toyota Camry. This is just fine, and you may not and may actually use the truck features of yours, but you would be in the minority.

For anyone who thinks this thing is silly or won't sell - remember that the entire first year production is already completely sold out. So obviously some people want one, lol.
      10-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #29
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
You're aware that based on recent surveys - less than 15% of all new full size truck buyers have ever used the trailer hitch and less than 40% of all new full size truck buyers have ever used the bed for anything that wouldn't normally be put into a trunk, right?

Fact is that the majority of new full size truck buyers utilize pick ups in the exact same fashion as a Toyota Camry. This is just fine, and you may not and may actually use the truck features of yours, but you would be in the minority.

For anyone who thinks this thing is silly or won't sell - remember that the entire first year production is already completely sold out. So obviously some people want one, lol.
Oh I have no doubt it will sell... people are weird.

Personally I'm only interested in a truck for it's truck capabilities. Otherwise I have no desire to drive around in a truck. Although I'm not sure the previous gen Hummers were really trucks anyways? They were like just obnoxiously big SUVs no? Anyways I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes along with the cyber "truck".
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
stein_325i25051.00
swanson733.00
      10-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #30
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh I have no doubt it will sell... people are weird.

Personally I'm only interested in a truck for it's truck capabilities. Otherwise I have no desire to drive around in a truck. Although I'm not sure the previous gen Hummers were really trucks anyways? They were like just obnoxiously big SUVs no? Anyways I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes along with the cyber "truck".
Yup - agreed. Don't forget you are talking to a guy who drives an Alfa and an i8 and has a Mini Cooper as a commuter, lol.

I'm not really the target market.
      10-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #31
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Speaking of off-roading electric trucks, it seems like Cnet got an exclusive first drive of the Rivian R1T for an 8-day off-road journey. This is honestly one of the electric startups I am really rooting for.

2021 Rivian R1T first drive review: It's going to be a game-changer

Some interesting parts of the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET
But man, never in my life have I been so concerned about conservation. I sacrifice a bit of ride quality and comfort for the sake of overall range, keeping the 34-inch Pirelli Scorpion tires at 38 psi for less rolling resistance in the hard-packed dirt, even though lower pressure would be easier on my spine. I also choose to leave the climate control turned off, simply to keep all of the available electrons focused on pushing me forward. I even put up with this during some days where the temperature crests 100 degrees Fahrenheit. By the end of the trip, let's just say I'm not the freshest of flowers.

Fortunately, there are times when I can use gravity to my advantage. On a number of downhill sections, I put the truck in Neutral and allow it to coast -- free range, baby. Once the truck gets up to higher speeds I can drop it into Drive and tap the brakes to put some regenerative energy back into the battery. On one instance, I'm able to feed 19 miles worth of range back into the 135-kWh battery. On another stint, I recapture 10 miles. Going over the 17-mile-long Monitor Pass in the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains only ends up costing me 8.6 miles of actual range. Sweet.

The R1T has five different ride heights with a maximum of 14.5 inches of ground clearance. That means it has an approach angle of 34.8 degrees, a departure angle of 29.3 degrees and a breakover angle of 25.7 degrees. That's better off-road geometry than a Ford F-150 Raptor or even the new Ram 1500 TRX. Heck, the breakover and departure angles are even better than the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. That in mind, even at the Level 4 height, it's rare that I actually hit any rocks or damage the underbody protection -- which, thanks to the flat-pack powertrain, is like a skateboard deck under the truck....

If you've never had 826 lb.-ft. of instant, electric torque under your right foot, I can solidly say that you haven't lived. The R1T might not have locking differentials, a two-speed transfer case or any kind of tough-guy wizardry you'd associate with off-road prowess, but none of that matters when you've got an absolute ton of torque. I can slowly pick my line up a steep, rocky hill, never worrying about keeping momentum. The sophisticated traction control system moves the torque where it's needed most, and before I know it, the R1T hits the top of a peak while the Jeeps behind me are still switching into low gear.

Of course, that torque is only useful if you've got the traction to put it to the pavement -- or, in my case, the dirt. It's super easy to spin the tires, meaning it's also super easy to get dug in and stuck in the softer, hotter sand of Glamis, California, home to North America's largest dunes....

The truck's suspension gets a lot of credit, too. The bottom of the hill is plagued with whoops, and I have to carry speed to ensure I stay on top of the sand. However, it's a balance: Go too slow and I'll likely dig myself in once I really hit the throttle, but go too fast and I might break something. In Level 4, the air suspension is programmed to have great compression, keeping the truck from bottoming out on those whoops. I'd like a little less rebound to keep the R1T from kicking up just a bit, but it's still good enough to keep on top of the sand over the initial whoops, allowing me to speed up to the top of the hill once the sand smooths out...

Another cool thing: The Rivian R1T can be tow charged. You'll never be out in the desert wheeling alone, right? If the truck runs out of juice, you can pull it behind another vehicle and pump some energy back into the battery.

Rivian notes there's still some work to be done before the R1T hits the road next year, and my truck is not without its preproduction foibles. (Ask my co-pilot about when her seat heater randomly turned on in the middle of a 100-degree day.) But this thing easily survived eight days of intense off-roading, through tough dirt and dunes. Even when running at 38 psi over rocks, the stock Pirelli Scorpion tires never let me down, and I never once got a flat.

The Rivian R1T has some mighty strong bones. And if it's this good through the toughest terrain, the fully fleshed-out production model should be nothing short of a game-changer.
      10-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #32
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I wonder how tough this thing will be to park seeing that its so wide. wouldn't be ideal for LA lol

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:38 PM   #33
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I wonder how tough this thing will be to park seeing that its so wide. wouldn't be ideal for LA lol
Don't worry, most Hummer owners always take up two spaces
GOLFFRR10716.50
      10-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #34
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Not a fan of Doug’s but this Hummer actually looks pretty cool imo, roof is sweet

10-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #35
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Current Hummer EV Design Will Change Some Before Entering Production

Quote:
The recently revealed truck is reportedly "98 percent" production ready.

The much-anticipated GMC Hummer EV was finally revealed on October 20. The all-electric truck was first teased at the beginning of 2020 but its official debut was delayed due to coronavirus concerns. However, despite the extra time and fanfare, it appears the truck shown to the world is close to production-spec, but isn't quite ready for prime time.

That's the claim according to a recent report from Muscle Cars & Trucks, which spoke with GM's Hummer EV Design Manager John Mack. The reborn truck is said to be "about 98 percent" accurate in terms of the visuals, which certainly isn't much but some components will see changes before all is said and done. Mack went on to explain the nuances would likely be small things the design team would notice, such as changes to skid plates, the tailgate, and surface details. It implies that such changes may not be noticed by buyers.

GMC certainly has time to make changes. The truck isn't slated to reach dealerships until the fall of 2021, but with delays and a lengthy build-up to the official reveal, it might surprise some to find the truck technically isn't production-spec. It adds more fuel to the development fire that currently has GMC working to build more prototypes, as only one exists at the moment. Typically, a new vehicle debut comes after a lengthy development process, not before.

When the Hummer EV does enter production, GMC says it will be the world's first super truck with 1,000 horsepower and an estimated 11,500 pound-feet of wheel torque, which actually works out to around 1,000 lb-ft of combined motor torque for an apples-to-apples comparison. GMC's launch video showed the Hummer EV in action, but the high-speed footage was actually computer-generated so it's unclear just how far along GMC actually is with regards to developing the truck's powertrain. A working prototype does exist, but we've only seen it driving slow speeds.

With electric truck competition coming fast from Ford, Rivian, and Tesla, there's certainly pressure at GM to deliver something soon but the Hummer EV will be far from mainstream when it goes on sale. The Edition 1 will be fully loaded and capable of sprints to 60 mph in just three seconds, but it will also cost $112,595 and be available only in white. A cheaper Hummer EV won't arrive until 2023, with the $79,995 base model not coming until 2024.
https://www.motor1.com/news/451330/h...re-production/
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #36
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

As far as looks go, the Hummer looks great. I'm just not into the whole EV BS. Not for me.
Appreciate 1
jesm203.00
      10-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #37
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:

Sounds like it's not a truck for you. Not everyone uses their vehicle in the same way. Inversely some people just want a truck to use its bed to haul stuff and a truck that fits your purposes don't make sense for those folks.

Does that make it an incapable vehicle?
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      10-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
Sounds like it's not a truck for you. Not everyone uses their vehicle in the same way. Inversely some people just want a truck to use its bed to haul stuff and a truck that fits your purposes don't make sense for those folks.

You should have seen all the crap I took back in 2009 when I posted that I bought an H3T. LOL Lotta HATE on Hummer back in the day. After 11 years it's retained more than 50% of the purchase price.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #39
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Pretty sure that's exactly what I said.... it's not a truck for me. I need a truck that can do truck stuff.

If you want a truck to do truck stuff then it is an incapable vehicle (obviously I'm assuming since no actual EV consumer "truck" is on the market yet). if you DON'T want to do truck stuff then I'm sure it's plenty capable and based on the stats posted earlier I guess most people don't do truck stuff with their trucks.

If I was into show trucks then I certainly like the Hummer over the Cyber Truck except for it's wimpy range compared to the advertised Cyber Truck numbers and higher price.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #40
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Pretty sure that's exactly what I said.... it's not a truck for me. I need a truck that can do truck stuff.

If you want a truck to do truck stuff then it is an incapable vehicle (obviously I'm assuming since no actual EV consumer "truck" is on the market yet). if you DON'T want to do truck stuff then I'm sure it's plenty capable and based on the stats posted earlier I guess most people don't do truck stuff with their trucks.

If I was into show trucks then I certainly like the Hummer over the Cyber Truck except for it's wimpy range compared to the advertised Cyber Truck numbers and higher price.
The redneck machoism of suggesting only trucks capable of towing significant weights for significant distances are capable of doing "truck stuff" is where you've lost the point.

Trailing, camping, hauling tools, equipment, lumber, etc are all what I'd consider truck stuff since I can't do it as well, easily, or even at all with anything other than a truck.

And I don't need to spit a wad of chew out after suggesting that either.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #41
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The redneck machoism of suggesting only trucks capable of towing significant weights for significant distances are capable of doing "truck stuff" is where you've lost the point.

Trailing, camping, hauling tools, equipment, lumber, etc are all what I'd consider truck stuff since I can't do it as well, easily, or even at all with anything other than a truck.

And I don't need to spit a wad of chew out after suggesting that either.
Sounds to me like you might just be a closet redneck. Why you so mad some random guy on the internet doesn't think your X5 is a real truck?

The post I was responding to said 40% of truck buyers don't even use the bed of the truck. Go buy an F450 dually to show the guys at bed bad and beyond what a bad ass you are. I certainly don't give two shits what you do or drive. Although it seems based on your unfounded outrage you certainly seem to care an awful lot what I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #42
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Yup - agreed. Don't forget you are talking to a guy who drives an Alfa and an i8 and has a Mini Cooper as a commuter, lol.

I'm not really the target market.
Yeah me either. I have a truck because I need a truck to tow my RV... otherwise I would not own a truck. It's basically parked unless we are traveling or I need to make a Home Depot run. MAYBE I would consider an SUV but even then... it's just 2 of us so I don't even need that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #43
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

This is the second time GM has reached out to Led Zeppelin for its rebirth of a nameplate.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #44
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Ughhh!!! Why??
Attached Images