BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Transmission: Automatic or Manual

View Poll Results: Will you choose automatic or manual?
Automatic 25 38.46%
Manual 40 61.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

02-08-2024, 09:12 AM   #45
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
The way I sport drive, it’s best if both my hands are firmly planted…
Me too! Plus my right arm has a torn rotator cuff, detached bicep and other issues. So, I don't trust it.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16543.50
      02-08-2024, 11:09 AM   #46
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Me too! Plus my right arm has a torn rotator cuff, detached bicep and other issues. So, I don't trust it.
No doubt

It’s important to be comfortable
      02-25-2024, 12:17 PM   #47
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40, BMW M4C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Car & Drivers current numbers for 0-60/1/4 mile are:

2023 BMW Z4 M40i Automatic
Vehicle Type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door convertible.

60 mph: 3.5 sec
100 mph: 8.8 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.0 sec @ 116 mph

2024 BMW Z4 M40i manual
Vehicle Type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door convertible

60 mph: 4.0 sec
100 mph: 9.6 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.4 sec

2023 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door hatchback

60 mph: 3.9 sec
100 mph: 9.6 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.4 sec @ 114 mph

They did not post the trap speed for the Z4 6MT but should be similar to the Toyota.

Rotator Cuff torn, detached & torn Bicep. Operation went well am 4 weeks into recovery. Hope to get cleared to drive my MT's in a few more.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory-2; 02-25-2024 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 3
StanDiego6248.50
Balr14558.50
      02-25-2024, 12:42 PM   #48
eclz
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 sDrive 30i

Also a guy who had manual transmissions for decades. I'm in the "if I had a choice I'd probably go for the manual but I'm not going to switch just to get a manual" camp because the ZF transmission very often feels as if it can read my mind. So it's different from a manual but still fun in its own way. I feel the same way about my EVs -- they're not fun in the same way as old school cars. They're fun in their EV way. There is more than one way for a car to be enjoyable.
Appreciate 4
      02-25-2024, 01:03 PM   #49
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclz View Post
Also a guy who had manual transmissions for decades. I'm in the "if I had a choice I'd probably go for the manual but I'm not going to switch just to get a manual" camp because the ZF transmission very often feels as if it can read my mind. So it's different from a manual but still fun in its own way. I feel the same way about my EVs -- they're not fun in the same way as old school cars. They're fun in their EV way. There is more than one way for a car to be enjoyable.
The ZF8 is a great transmission, especially in Sports Plus Mode. I have read comments posted online that some people think it is even better than the DCT in the 718 Boxster S.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 01:27 PM   #50
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
The ZF8 is a great transmission, especially in Sports Plus Mode. I have read comments posted online that some people think it is even better than the DCT in the 718 Boxster S.
I've owned a Porsche PDK and any differences between it and the ZF 8 speed are minimal and basically not something you will notice. I think ZF made the PDK, too.
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2024, 12:25 PM   #51
morebhp
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Does the manual mean you lose some of the tech toys? Auto parking, reverse out, etc?

For me I chose Auto - maybe an age thing. I enjoy a manual rental car for a few hours and can see the appeal.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 07:47 PM   #52
MadBullogna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebhp View Post
Does the manual mean you lose some of the tech toys? Auto parking, reverse out, etc?
You lose out on Adaptive Cruise Control (only get ‘old school’) and Remote Start. Perhaps something else I’m forgetting. Sad, as there are ‘lesser/cheaper’ manufacturers where you can still have those items with a MT, but it is what it is as they say.

I’m 95% certain we’d be taking the Acura RDX on any road trips, as we do now, so the ACC loss sucks, but not truly an issue. Remote Start? Same, we garage at home, and as it won’t be a true DD for me since I WFH, I can do without cooling/heating the interior after 8-10 hours outside at the office.

Dunno about the so-called auto-park features. Since you have to control the brake/gas/gear, I’d ‘hope’ it still applies, but haven’t heard nor looked into sub forums of other models with MT to get an idea.

(Still wish they’d invest in basic tech that MT makers who cost ~$35k less do, but what can you do) /shrug
Appreciate 1
823BMW198.00
      03-06-2024, 03:08 AM   #53
morebhp
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBullogna View Post
You lose out on Adaptive Cruise Control (only get ‘old school’) and Remote Start. Perhaps something else I’m forgetting. Sad, as there are ‘lesser/cheaper’ manufacturers where you can still have those items with a MT, but it is what it is as they say.

I’m 95% certain we’d be taking the Acura RDX on any road trips, as we do now, so the ACC loss sucks, but not truly an issue. Remote Start? Same, we garage at home, and as it won’t be a true DD for me since I WFH, I can do without cooling/heating the interior after 8-10 hours outside at the office.

Dunno about the so-called auto-park features. Since you have to control the brake/gas/gear, I’d ‘hope’ it still applies, but haven’t heard nor looked into sub forums of other models with MT to get an idea.

(Still wish they’d invest in basic tech that MT makers who cost ~$35k less do, but what can you do) /shrug
Thanks - I live up a bitch of a very steep narrow drive with two 90 degree bends - only one way up forwards (unless you like the scent of clutch!) and only one way down backwards! So the auto reverse is a great feature for me. Of course it can be done manually but the auto reverse hands free will make it a breeze :-)

I first drove a Ferrari 360 back in 2000 with the F1 flappy paddle box - it blew me away. The sales guy then asked if I wanted to drive a manual and my reply was "I don't see the point - it will never be as fast as that!". That said I drove a SL55 and 911 Turbo of that erea with Auto boxes and hated them both - far too slow.

I did later drive a manula 360 and still felt the same. 24 years on my driving style has no doubt changed but I still favour a good fast auto.

That said I see the appeal and I'm sure Z4M owners will love the extra involvement/connection :-)
Appreciate 0