BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Thoughts on mixing tires?

03-12-2024, 09:17 AM   #1
phdat28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thoughts on mixing tires?

Hi all a just realize my tires are super pilot sport are on front and rear are pilot sport all season…just bought this 22’ from the dealership that is 300mi away. All tires are brand new. Car runs fine. Advice?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:31 AM   #2
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Never a good idea to run different tires even if they’re all new.

They won’t necessarily perform the same in all conditions, even if most of the time there’s no issue.
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2024, 09:40 AM   #3
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Are you sure the front tires are new?

I thought mileage was low on that 22 you purchased, my guess is the rears were worn out and replaced with the cheaper All Season tires you see there.

Mixed tires are usually a bad idea as stated previously due to the handling being thrown off….front will grip more and rear will step out easier.
Appreciate 4
      03-12-2024, 11:27 AM   #4
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

I would also guess the fronts are original and the rears replaced.
      03-12-2024, 11:52 AM   #5
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phdat28 View Post
Hi all a just realize my tires are super pilot sport are on front and rear are pilot sport all season…just bought this 22’ from the dealership that is 300mi away. All tires are brand new. Car runs fine. Advice?
The Pilot Sport All Season 4 (AS4) is an excellent tire but not in the same performance level as the Pilot Super Sport (PSS), Ultra High Performance All-Season vs Max Performance Summer. Most will warn you to never mix the two. I agree you should never intentionally mix tires but, in your situation, I say it depends upon how you plan to drive it.

In a nutshell, the PSS is focused on maximum performance while the AS4 compromises just a little bit of performance to allow it to perform better in cold weather, something the PSS does not do well.

If you drive aggressively, you should probably have the PSS tires all around. Because it will cost you around $700 to replace the two tires, it may be worth time and effort to convince your selling dealership to put the matching tires on the back.

On the other hand, if you drive conservatively, I believe your tire situation will be fine. When your front tires wear out, replace them with the AS4 tires to match the back. The AS4 typically gets nearly twice the mileage of the PSS before needing replaced. FWIW, I plan to replace my PSS with the AS4 when my tires need replaced. My opinion on this will be far from the most popular though.
Appreciate 2
Balr14558.50
      03-12-2024, 12:15 PM   #6
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
The Pilot Sport All Season 4 (AS4) is an excellent tire but not in the same performance level as the Pilot Super Sport (PSS), Ultra High Performance All-Season vs Max Performance Summer. Most will warn you to never mix the two. I agree you should never intentionally mix tires but, in your situation, I say it depends upon how you plan to drive it.

In a nutshell, the PSS is focused on maximum performance while the AS4 compromises just a little bit of performance to allow it to perform better in cold weather, something the PSS does not do well.

If you drive aggressively, you should probably have the PSS tires all around. Because it will cost you around $700 to replace the two tires, it may be worth time and effort to convince your selling dealership to put the matching tires on the back.

On the other hand, if you drive conservatively, I believe your tire situation will be fine. When your front tires wear out, replace them with the AS4 tires to match the back. The AS4 typically gets nearly twice the mileage of the PSS before needing replaced. FWIW, I plan to replace my PSS with the AS4 when my tires need replaced. My opinion on this will be far from the most popular though.
I totally agree about the dealer replacing the all season tires and going with the PSS. Make a point that they didn’t inform you they were mixing the two types of tires and it’s not acceptable!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 12:41 PM   #7
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

I personally prefer the all season tires because they extend my driving season without worrying about the tires. But, I don't see what benefit they would provide in California, unless you live in the mountains.
Appreciate 2
Argo697.00
      03-12-2024, 01:26 PM   #8
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I would have them match especially since you in simple terms have summer tires on the front and winters on the back. I imagine in a heavy rain the fronts could hydroplane while the rears have plenty of grip...resulting in severe understeer.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #9
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Tend to agree with others here. I’ve previously leased most of my vehicles (BMW and others) and one of the requirements when turning them back in is matched tires. I’d reach out to the dealership. Maybe you won’t drive 300+ miles, but maybe they can fix the issue another way.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 02:16 PM   #10
FrostyWinters
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post

I thought mileage was low on that 22 you purchased, my guess is the rears were worn out and replaced with the cheaper All Season tires you see there.

Mixed tires are usually a bad idea as stated previously due to the handling being thrown off….front will grip more and rear will step out easier.
All true... But if the OP is looking for some drifting action, this set up isn't that bad.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 02:25 PM   #11
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyWinters View Post
All true... But if the OP is looking for some drifting action, this set up isn't that bad.
I think he would like to drift back to having 4 new PSS tires on his car. 😉
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 04:37 PM   #12
Entitled Prick
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G29 Z4 Purple Rain

I see stars on the front. That’s oem. Any stars on the rear?
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 06:02 PM   #13
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entitled Prick View Post
I see stars on the front. That’s oem. Any stars on the rear?
Good catch, all four should be BMW Star tires and for this car PSS.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 07:44 PM   #14
Argo
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
I'd wager on the front tires still being the factory tires.

Quote:
The Pilot Sport All Season 4 are probably similar in cost to the PSSs.

Quote:
The Pilot Sport All Season 4 (AS4) is an excellent tire but not in the same performance level as the Pilot Super Sport (PSS)
That's true, though it's a lot closer than most people who haven't driven modern high-performance all seasons probably imagine.

Quote:
In a nutshell, the PSS is focused on maximum performance
Technically that would be a tire like the Cup 2, the PSS is definitely performance focused but I wouldn't say it's the only consideration.

IMO, there's at least two category tiers of "street tires" above them (some people may divide it further): the 200TW options like the RE71 and the "technically street legal but more of a track tire" options like the aforementioned Cup 2s. Both of these categories are really something you'll want to get into only if you're doing autocross or track days though.

Quote:
Because it will cost you around $700 to replace the two tires, it may be worth time and effort to convince your selling dealership to put the matching tires on the back.
I'd be extremely surprised if any dealer would accept that *after* the sale has been made (or even before TBH).

Quote:
Honestly, OP can probably still push the AS4s harder than one should on a public street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyWinters View Post
I think you're seriously underestimating how much grip the AS4s have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Good catch, all four should be BMW Star tires and for this car PSS.
That's really more for OP to decide. Personally I'd go for the Pilot Sport 4S or, more likely, ExtremeContact Sport 02 over the star-PSS tires if I had to replace mine today (assuming same-cost for all of them).

Last edited by Argo; 03-12-2024 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
phdat2885.00
jdubm2c169.00
      03-12-2024, 09:18 PM   #15
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
That's really more for OP to decide. Personally I'd go for the Pilot Sport 4S or, more likely, ExtremeContact Sport 02 over the star-PSS tires if I had to replace mine today (assuming same-cost for all of them).
At this point in time the OP should contact the dealer and demand 2 tires to match the PSS which incidentally are OEM's. The Pilot Sport All Season 4 aren't even Star tires and they never should have mixed two different types of tires on the car.

The Pilot Sport 4S or ExtremeContact Sport 02 are both great tires and at some point down the road (pardon the pun) when he needs to replace all four tires he can consider buying one of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:59 PM   #16
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
That's true, though it's a lot closer than most people who haven't driven modern high-performance all seasons probably imagine.
Agreed, which is why I plan to switch to the AS4 when tires need replacing (plus the much higher wear rating)

Quote:
Technically that would be a tire like the Cup 2, the PSS is definitely performance focused but I wouldn't say it's the only consideration.

IMO, there's at least two category tiers of "street tires" above them (some people may divide it further): the 200TW options like the RE71 and the "technically street legal but more of a track tire" options like the aforementioned Cup 2s. Both of these categories are really something you'll want to get into only if you're doing autocross or track days though.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Technically, those two are not street tires, they're street legal track tires, designed to allow you to drive to the track rather than trailer.

Quote:
Honestly, OP can probably still push the AS4s harder than one should on a public street.
Agreed if all 4 were AS4s. Having no knowledge of driving dynamics with PSS in front and AS4 in rear, I'd fear pushing it hard until I better understood those dynamics.

Quote:
I think you're seriously underestimating how much grip the AS4s have.
Agreed.
Quote:
That's really more for OP to decide.
Agreed. 99% of drivers wouldn't be able to discern the performance difference between a star and non-star tire (yes, tread compounds are slightly different) nor even drive their car in a manner that would allow them to discern that difference. For that 1% that could, they wouldn't all agree as to which one they prefer.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:40 AM   #17
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Folks, we can debate the differences between tires specs and performance all day long but there is only one real issue. The dealer mixed two different tires on phdat28’s 2022 Z4. I think he should contact the dealer and demand they put Star PSS on the rear to match the ones on the front.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 08:15 AM   #18
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Folks, we can debate the differences between tires specs and performance all day long but there is only one real issue. The dealer mixed two different tires on phdat28’s 2022 Z4. I think he should contact the dealer and demand they put Star PSS on the rear to match the ones on the front.

Sometimes these things not caught before sale will go nowhere. Dealers in my experience have a sign-off sheet with things they “owe” the buyer to fix/change. If that sheet was signed off by buyer there maybe no option to get these tires changed.

Those all seasons are very good as stated previously, I’m probably going that route when my tires need replaced.
Appreciate 2
StanDiego6248.50
Argo697.00
      03-13-2024, 08:58 AM   #19
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sometimes these things not caught before sale will go nowhere. Dealers in my experience have a sign-off sheet with things they “owe” the buyer to fix/change. If that sheet was signed off by buyer there maybe no option to get these tires changed.

Those all seasons are very good as stated previously, I’m probably going that route when my tires need replaced.
At the very least the dealer should have mounted four of the exact same tires on this car. Therefore the OP has a valid argument!
Appreciate 1
Rcasa20120.50
      03-13-2024, 10:48 AM   #20
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
By the way the Star PSS are $69 more expensive than the AS4 on Tire Rack. I am sure that someone at the dealer’s used car department is trying to save a few dollars on every car they sell which can add up to thousands of dollars at the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:09 AM   #21
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Maybe the prior lease knew the tires were worn and changed them and the dealer didn't notice upon return.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:15 AM   #22
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
Tend to agree with others here. I’ve previously leased most of my vehicles (BMW and others) and one of the requirements when turning them back in is matched tires. I’d reach out to the dealership. Maybe you won’t drive 300+ miles, but maybe they can fix the issue another way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
Maybe the prior lease knew the tires were worn and changed them and the dealer didn't notice upon return.
Tony already commented on this and I seriously doubt it wasn’t observed when the car was turned in.
Appreciate 0