BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Thoughts on mixing tires?

03-13-2024, 11:21 AM   #23
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Tony already commented on this and I seriously doubt it wasn’t observed when the car was turned in.
It's definitely one of the things on the inspection they look at, in addition to the tread depth.
      03-13-2024, 12:47 PM   #24
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
I think he should contact the dealer and demand they put Star PSS on the rear to match the ones on the front.
Mentioned multiple times earlier, I believe the OP is crystal clear on that opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 01:57 PM   #25
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Mentioned multiple times earlier, I believe the OP is crystal clear on that opinion.
Actually the OP has only asked for advice after discovering the two different tires on the front and rear. He has yet to acknowledge that he agreed with our recommendations and has contacted his dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:10 PM   #26
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
It's definitely one of the things on the inspection they look at, in addition to the tread depth.
Quote:
Tony already commented on this and I seriously doubt it wasn’t observed when the car was turned in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
Maybe the prior lease knew the tires were worn and changed them and the dealer didn't notice upon return.
The thing is the fitted tires would actually comply with the guidelines for lease returns given they are "275/35ZR19 100Y XL" (Source):

Quote:
"Same specifications as original equipment supplied on your vehicle (size, speed rating, and run flat, if applicable)"
We could argue all day about whether you should buy a car with mixed tires across different axles, but BMW will definitely take it on a lease return and sell it as used as-is.

Last edited by Argo; 03-13-2024 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
StanDiego6248.50
      03-13-2024, 04:59 PM   #27
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
We could argue all day about whether you should buy a car with mixed tires across different axles, but BMW will definitely take it on a lease return and sell it as used as-is.
Would you accept two different types of tires if you were the buyer???
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:47 PM   #28
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Might not be a lease return (since it’s a 2022), so I doubt they look that closely on a regular old trade in.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:36 PM   #29
Entitled Prick
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G29 Z4 Purple Rain

I think the real questions are - is the car cpo’d and did the dealer install the rears or the previous owner.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2024, 11:58 PM   #30
phdat28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks all for your opinion! I reached out to the dealer and will hear back tomorrow. Let's see what they will do now that we are 300 miles apart.
Appreciate 2
StanDiego6248.50
Rcasa20120.50
      03-14-2024, 06:47 AM   #31
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phdat28 View Post
Thanks all for your opinion! I reached out to the dealer and will hear back tomorrow. Let's see what they will do now that we are 300 miles apart.
Hopefully the dealer will offer to replace the AS4's with 2 new PSS Star tires. I hope that you stressed the point that the PSS are BMW Star tires, that they are the OEM's originally shipped from the factory and that someone substituted the AS4's which are less expensive. That it isn't correct to sell a roadster like this with two different types of tires.

I think that it is worth the 300 trip if the dealer agrees to the replacement.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 12:54 PM   #32
Entitled Prick
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G29 Z4 Purple Rain

Or save the mileage on the car and tell the dealer to ship the tires to you.
Appreciate 1
Argo697.00
      03-14-2024, 01:02 PM   #33
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hopefully the dealer will offer to replace the AS4's with 2 new PSS Star tires. I hope that you stressed the point that the PSS are BMW Star tires, that they are the OEM's originally shipped from the factory and that someone substituted the AS4's which are less expensive. That it isn't correct to sell a roadster like this with two different types of tires.

I think that it is worth the 300 trip if the dealer agrees to the replacement.
I know you’re a big ⭐️ fan but if I had the leverage to get a couple of new tires, I’d request the front PSS tires be replaced with AS4s, leaving me with 4 new matching tires rather than only two new PSS tires and two with maybe a year’s worth of tread left.
Appreciate 4
      03-14-2024, 01:06 PM   #34
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
I know you’re a big ⭐️ fan but if I had the leverage to get a couple of new tires, I’d request the front PSS tires be replaced with AS4s, leaving me with 4 new matching tires rather than only two new PSS tires and two with maybe a year’s worth of tread left.
In a perfect world I would put Pilot Sport 4S on all four wheels! 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:51 PM   #35
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
In a perfect world I would put Pilot Sport 4S on all four wheels! 👍🏻
Definitely depends on where you live. Unless you track the car and can truly explore the limits of the tires, the AS4's can be better. I have them on my 135i and they of course aren't the best summer tire ever but they are 90% there, and as a side bonus you can drive them in MN basically year round. PS4's are probably good for 2/3 to 3/4 of the year and then you have to either swap them or park the car. They turn into round rocks as the temps get close to freezing.
Appreciate 1
StanDiego6248.50
      03-14-2024, 09:53 PM   #36
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Definitely depends on where you live. Unless you track the car and can truly explore the limits of the tires, the AS4's can be better. I have them on my 135i and they of course aren't the best summer tire ever but they are 90% there, and as a side bonus you can drive them in MN basically year round. PS4's are probably good for 2/3 to 3/4 of the year and then you have to either swap them or park the car. They turn into round rocks as the temps get close to freezing.
Never an issue in south Florida. 😎
Appreciate 1
Amadeo391.50
      03-14-2024, 11:23 PM   #37
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
It not only depends upon where you live but where and when you travel and, as you mentioned, whether you actually drive your car to the limits of the tire.

Even those who live in Florida might conceivably want to drive their Z4 to cooler climates, snow skiing, mountain twisties during cold weather, or whatever.

On the other hand, some might occasionally track their car and never drive the Z4 in cold weather.

Others might enjoy lightly spirited driving year round and appreciate longer lasting tires.

My point: to imply that only one tire, the OEM Michelin star tire (or 4S for that matter) should be used on our Z4 is ridiculous. BMW themselves have placed other branded tires on the Z4. Select what works for your situation, ideally selecting the highest quality, best performing tires that fit your situation.

If the OEM star tire is the only thing that trips your trigger, go for it. BMW service departments will love you for it. Promoting that philosophy dramatically reduces the number of tires they need to carry in stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 12:10 AM   #38
phdat28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Alright update. No help. Direct quote from sales person who helped me:

Hi , I talked to used car manager and he said it’s normal sometimes you have different tires on the car and it won’t be a liability issues

Guess I’m out of luck. Will have to drive moderately with these tires then.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 12:35 AM   #39
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Hi , I talked to used car manager and he said it’s normal sometimes you have different tires on the car and it won’t be a liability issues

I'm sorry to hear that but not surprised. FWIW, your rear tires are likely to have a lot of tread remaining when your fronts need replacing. At such time, I recommend you put the All Season 4 on the front, giving you a matching set of 4. Then, once your rear AS4s need replaced, the fronts may be close enough that you can decide what you want to replace all four tires with. As you probably know, the front and rear tires are a different size so they can't be rotated.

The following link might be helpful at that time:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...erformance=ALL
Appreciate 2
Argo697.00
phdat2885.00
      03-15-2024, 01:34 AM   #40
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Would you accept two different types of tires if you were the buyer???
It'd be something I'd avoid (or use as a bargaining token). But that's not what I was saying, my whole point was that it was not something that would be considered "out of spec" so it'd be quite hard to have it "fixed" after the sale.

Quote:
It'll definitely have a slightly different driving characteristic than with identical tires, however this also happens to an extent with different wear levels on the same type of tire.

One good thing though, is that the AS4 is pretty much the highest performance all season tire on the market (or very close to it). I'd say it likely matches the traction of "over 200 TW" summer tires from ~15 years ago.

Finally, as with any new car (or even new tires on the same car) you should probably get familiar with how it handles before pushing it too hard. I think once you know it the AS4s will definitely have enough grip to make you happy. Also, traction control on these cars is really good, so that will also help you a lot.
Appreciate 1
phdat2885.00
      03-15-2024, 07:49 AM   #41
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Three quick questions:

Did you purchase the car from a BMW dealer?

Was it a CPO?

Have you measured the thread wear yet on all of the tires? If yes, what are the measurements?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 08:18 AM   #42
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:

In other words….we really don’t care anymore since we got your $$

Which is to be expected. But then saying it’s “normal” to have mismatch tires is ridiculous, a flat out lie. In the past that is something a dealer would use to lower trade value (mismatched or worn tires). I have bought and sold a lot of cars over the years…never have bought a car with mismatched tires.

They are fortunate you didn’t catch this upon inspection, otherwise you could have easily negotiated a matching set…..they would have accommodated a few hundred dollars (their cost) to slap on 2 tires for the sale to go through.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2024, 11:24 AM   #43
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
If it were me I'd get two rears that match the front summers and drive until worn since the rears are probably newer and can be stored longer I would then buy two fronts in the all season when it's time to replace the summers and you will not have to cough up for a full set at once.
Appreciate 1