BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Napa/Sonoma/St Helena

09-13-2023, 12:43 PM   #23
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiRich View Post
Whatever you do, don't purchase gas in the Town of Mendicino. Just go a little way towards Ft. Bragg and it drops significantly.

Yesterday's Avg. $7.28/Reg $9.80/Mid
Jesus, that’s insane! I forget it’s the land everything’s so damn expensive. I paid $4.44 for premium yesterday. Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:21 PM   #24
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
For a smaller, more intimate setting that still somehow continues to represent what the Napa Valley used to be (think fifty years ago; read, without the mob scene), try the Anderson Valley.

Navarro Vineyards has an impressive selection of quality wines and Roederer Estate is always worth a stop. There are many others, as well.

Anyone venturing up to the valley for the first time might consider continuing a few miles further to the town of Mendocino. It still has enough of the flavor of Old California to make it very worthwhile. The Ford House Visitor Center is a wonderful way to learn why, to this day, the town has so many water towers: https://www.mendoparks.org/parks/men...ds-state-park. It doesn't hurt that the coastal view at Mendocino is classic and uniquely Northern California.
Solid recommendation on Navarro!!! Thank you for suggesting this. A bit of a drive but love the personal feel and you don’t have to pay for everything. We just bought a bottle of their fantastic Rosé of Pinot Noir and are sitting right in front of the vines. Thank you!!

Will probably stop at Roederer as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
RickFLM410981.00
dradernh4413.00
hubbahubba8818.00
      09-27-2023, 11:33 AM   #25
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Our trip was great and will definitely be going back out that way! I took a few ideas from people who responded where I could get appointments. Those I could not, are on the list for next time.

Our first day, we started with
-Davis Estates. Loved it and a great first time experience and way to be spoiled. It was a private tour with a wine and food pairing. This place is relaxing and calm. The chef has never duplicated a tasting menu in 7 years. Pretty incredible. We loved the wines!
-Frank Family. Another beautiful and laid back tasting. The wines were good but enjoyed the Davis wines more.
-Schramsburg. Loved the tour of the cave and all the info. For an American sparkling, I do enjoy theirs. We bought a few bottles since they do not ship to our state.
-V. Sattui. Only stopped here because we were on our way to a winery happy hour and they were the only ones open to 6 and we could walk in. We were able to meet one of the owners and he actually hung around and chatted with us for quite a while after they closed. The wines were good and ones I would use for a party or having a bunch of guests over. Not sharing my Davis wine for that:-)
-Stopped at Priest Ranch but it was to busy for the wine happy hour so didn't try any of their wines.
-Dinner at Rutherford Ranch. When we sat down both my husband and I said the atmosphere and menu reminded us of Houston's in Metairie and New Orleans. They are owned by the same group. The food was great. They have an amazing French dip. Wouldn't eat here again only because we have a location locally that is very similar.

Day 2 we decided to head out to Anderson Valley. Just to get a different view.
-Stopped at Hanna Winery as a pit stop. We bought a glass of their Sauv and Rose both were very nice. We sat at a table right in front of the vines so that was nice. Would use this wine for a large party but wouldn't buy regularly.
-Navarro. So laid back and the grounds are gorgeous. Love that you can walk in and taste wines at no charge. The rose of pinot noir was by far the best one I had on our trip. I will be ordering that. We also loved their Pinot.
-Roederer. We stopped in and shared a tasting of sparkling. It was good but not my favorite on the trip.
-Husch. This is a cute little spot. They have the cutest tasting room and there is a little porch on the back with tables. Once again, free tastings. Mike served wine to us and a lady came in and said hey Mike are you gonna brag on yourself or do I have to. Mike retired and moved up to Mendocino. His wife said he was to bored and so he does wine tastings twice a week. Well, Mike is a former rocket scientist who launched 3 missions to Mars.
We decided to drive up towards the coast and back down 1 to Bodega Bay. There isn't shit up that way and hardly any cell service. It was neat to see the very small towns and surprised the land isn't more developed. We stopped at Sea Ranch and ate dinner. Dining room had gorgeous views of the Pacific and the food was good.

Day 3
-Lassiter Family Wines. We did a vineyard tour and tasting. Loved this place. The wines are fantastic! It was so laid back and informational.
-Imagery. Stopped in since tastings were affordable and met some cool people. Good wines.
-El Molino Central. Damn the food was good or I just had a lot of wine. We have a lot of authentic Honduran, Mexican, etc places in Nola and this would definitely either match or beat many of our favorites here.
-Elizabeth Spencer Winemaker Dinner. They served a sparkling when we arrived and had passed apps. The sparkling. Freaking smooth and amazing. Beat Schramsburg in my opinion. Dinner and wine pairing were so good! They did a Sauv with a salad with champagne vinaigrette, lamb with creamy polenta and roasted veggies paired with a Rutherford cab and a dark chocolate dessert paired with an Oakville cab. We chatted with Sarah the winemaker who is funny as hell after. She actually has Nola roots so that was cool.

Don't think I've ever written anything this long on here but it was a great experience and thanks again to those who responded and helped me figure some things out. Can't wait to go back and try the other recommendations!
Appreciate 5
cmyx6go15761.00
kscarrol8910.50
dradernh4413.00
hubbahubba8818.00
RickFLM410981.00
      09-27-2023, 06:21 PM   #26
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

rebekahb Great write up, thanks for taking the time! You’ve given us a few more to try next time we make the trip! I’m really glad you had fun!
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50
      09-27-2023, 07:11 PM   #27
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
rebekahb Great write up, thanks for taking the time! You’ve given us a few more to try next time we make the trip! I’m really glad you had fun!
If you haven’t tried Lasseter or Davis Estates and want to, let me know. I’ve got extra tastings at no charge I can send your way.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8818.00
      09-27-2023, 07:57 PM   #28
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
If you haven’t tried Lasseter or Davis Estates and want to, let me know. I’ve got extra tastings at no charge I can send your way.
Thank you! As it looks right now, we may not make it back up there until this time next year. Will definitely hit you up if they haven't expired!
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50
      09-29-2023, 01:26 PM   #29
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Our trip was great and will definitely be going back out that way! I took a few ideas from people who responded where I could get appointments. Those I could not, are on the list for next time.

Our first day, we started with
-Davis Estates. Loved it and a great first time experience and way to be spoiled. It was a private tour with a wine and food pairing. This place is relaxing and calm. The chef has never duplicated a tasting menu in 7 years. Pretty incredible. We loved the wines!
-Frank Family. Another beautiful and laid back tasting. The wines were good but enjoyed the Davis wines more.
-Schramsburg. Loved the tour of the cave and all the info. For an American sparkling, I do enjoy theirs. We bought a few bottles since they do not ship to our state.
-V. Sattui. Only stopped here because we were on our way to a winery happy hour and they were the only ones open to 6 and we could walk in. We were able to meet one of the owners and he actually hung around and chatted with us for quite a while after they closed. The wines were good and ones I would use for a party or having a bunch of guests over. Not sharing my Davis wine for that:-)
-Stopped at Priest Ranch but it was to busy for the wine happy hour so didn't try any of their wines.
-Dinner at Rutherford Ranch. When we sat down both my husband and I said the atmosphere and menu reminded us of Houston's in Metairie and New Orleans. They are owned by the same group. The food was great. They have an amazing French dip. Wouldn't eat here again only because we have a location locally that is very similar.

Day 2 we decided to head out to Anderson Valley. Just to get a different view.
-Stopped at Hanna Winery as a pit stop. We bought a glass of their Sauv and Rose both were very nice. We sat at a table right in front of the vines so that was nice. Would use this wine for a large party but wouldn't buy regularly.
-Navarro. So laid back and the grounds are gorgeous. Love that you can walk in and taste wines at no charge. The rose of pinot noir was by far the best one I had on our trip. I will be ordering that. We also loved their Pinot.
-Roederer. We stopped in and shared a tasting of sparkling. It was good but not my favorite on the trip.
-Husch. This is a cute little spot. They have the cutest tasting room and there is a little porch on the back with tables. Once again, free tastings. Mike served wine to us and a lady came in and said hey Mike are you gonna brag on yourself or do I have to. Mike retired and moved up to Mendocino. His wife said he was to bored and so he does wine tastings twice a week. Well, Mike is a former rocket scientist who launched 3 missions to Mars.
We decided to drive up towards the coast and back down 1 to Bodega Bay. There isn't shit up that way and hardly any cell service. It was neat to see the very small towns and surprised the land isn't more developed. We stopped at Sea Ranch and ate dinner. Dining room had gorgeous views of the Pacific and the food was good.

Day 3
-Lassiter Family Wines. We did a vineyard tour and tasting. Loved this place. The wines are fantastic! It was so laid back and informational.
-Imagery. Stopped in since tastings were affordable and met some cool people. Good wines.
-El Molino Central. Damn the food was good or I just had a lot of wine. We have a lot of authentic Honduran, Mexican, etc places in Nola and this would definitely either match or beat many of our favorites here.
-Elizabeth Spencer Winemaker Dinner. They served a sparkling when we arrived and had passed apps. The sparkling. Freaking smooth and amazing. Beat Schramsburg in my opinion. Dinner and wine pairing were so good! They did a Sauv with a salad with champagne vinaigrette, lamb with creamy polenta and roasted veggies paired with a Rutherford cab and a dark chocolate dessert paired with an Oakville cab. We chatted with Sarah the winemaker who is funny as hell after. She actually has Nola roots so that was cool.

Don't think I've ever written anything this long on here but it was a great experience and thanks again to those who responded and helped me figure some things out. Can't wait to go back and try the other recommendations!

Great write up. I've gotten some good ideas from this thread. I'm only an hour away but we tend to do the same things. I think it's time to be more adventurous.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50