BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

09-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #111
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

I've only done 500 miles so far and just have a couple of issues:

1. Rattling from the passenger door trim. I called in to the local dealer and they said it's probably the wiring loom hitting the back of the plastic - it's booked in for a fix.

2. My humorous wake word keeps disappearing so I have to resort to the rather boring "Hello BMW".

Apart from that, very happy. Obviously I'm still running in so keeping the revs well down but it still goes like a rocket. Can't wait to see what redlining in Sport Plus does
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #112
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Music from USB stick

I've found that if I use 'Hi BMW' to find a music track on my USB stick the car remembers where I left off when I return. Obviously this method is about as reliable as a Renault when using voice recognition to find an artist.

However, if I manually choose a track using the dial the car always reverts to the same 'standard' track when I return. I have to manually find and play the album I previously played.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #113
juju86
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Hi, since 5 days my app BMW connected is showing same vehicle status, it is not up-to-date (status from 1st of October). In car settings, everything seems to be activated. Any idea? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 01:46 AM   #114
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju86 View Post
Hi, since 5 days my app BMW connected is showing same vehicle status, it is not up-to-date (status from 1st of October). In car settings, everything seems to be activated. Any idea? Thanks.
It is notoriously unreliable. Just ignore.
      10-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #115
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Audio sound quality on the HK, specifically the bass, is just awful and I'll go as far as saying it's broken / defective. Adjust the bass too much and it's boomy and rattle inducing. Too little and audio sounds flat. No decent middle ground...
I'm not sure about boomy but there's definitely a buzzy rattle from the rear panel when the bass kicks. I don't think it's the through-loading hatch, which would probably be unfixable, as it seems to stop if I press above the driver-side speaker with my finger. Hopefully the dealer will be able to sort that when they attend to the rattling passenger door panel.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:03 AM   #116
juju86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I'm not sure about boomy but there's definitely a buzzy rattle from the rear panel when the bass kicks. I don't think it's the through-loading hatch, which would probably be unfixable, as it seems to stop if I press above the driver-side speaker with my finger. Hopefully the dealer will be able to sort that when they attend to the rattling passenger door panel.
Hi, about your passenger door panel rattle, does it stops when you put your arm on the armrest? Because sometimes I have a rattle on driver panel door, which stops when I press on the armrest. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #117
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi, about your passenger door panel rattle, does it stops when you put your arm on the armrest? Because sometimes I have a rattle on driver panel door, which stops when I press on the armrest. Thanks
Hi. Yes, it stops if the armrest is touched, either by resting an arm on it or by pressing the side with a finger.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #118
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Hi. Yes, it stops if the armrest is touched, either by resting an arm on it or by pressing the side with a finger.
Same here.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:04 AM   #119
juju86
Rep

Quote:
Great, if you can give us an update when your dealer will troubleshoot this rattle to understand from where it comes. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #120
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great, if you can give us an update when your dealer will troubleshoot this rattle to understand from where it comes. Thanks
Sure, it's booked in for a week on Tuesday so I'll report back after that
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #121
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Update as promised...

Apparently the fixing inside the door card (trim) is defective so a new door card is on order from Germany. This should arrive next week so I'll post a further update then.

The dealer said the buzzy resonance from the rear is not fixable, it's just the way the car is built. A bit disappointing to say the least! I've found however that setting all the sound controls to the middle and turning the surround sound up full seems to give a reasonable result, except with very loud sub-bass. I've also found that continuous hard acceleration drowns it out nicely
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      10-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #122
juju86
Rep

Quote:
Update as promised...

Apparently the fixing inside the door card (trim) is defective so a new door card is on order from Germany. This should arrive next week so I'll post a further update then.

The dealer said the buzzy resonance from the rear is not fixable, it's just the way the car is built. A bit disappointing to say the least! I've found however that setting all the sound controls to the middle and turning the surround sound up full seems to give a reasonable result, except with very loud sub-bass. I've also found that continuous hard acceleration drowns it out nicely
Thanks for the update! I will also speak to my dealer about this. Do you know if there is an official note from BMW about this door rattle?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #123
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update! I will also speak to my dealer about this. Do you know if there is an official note from BMW about this door rattle?
You're welcome. I'm not aware of an official note, the dealer found the problem by dismantling the door.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #124
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

Gremlins - only wireless charging

finding Carplay and the BMW App on the phone working flawlessly. Only exception is using Carplay while iPhone is charging does overheat it and then breaks the connection.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #125
Allenscreekskinny
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i

Clicking noise

Has anyone encountered a clicking noise from the shifter/console area. Mainly in parking garages and lower light situations. Seems as though a censor keeps clicking on and off trying to determine if it is light or dark outside. Very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:00 AM   #126
juju86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenscreekskinny View Post
Has anyone encountered a clicking noise from the shifter/console area. Mainly in parking garages and lower light situations. Seems as though a censor keeps clicking on and off trying to determine if it is light or dark outside. Very annoying.
Hi, I wrote this few times ago :"Nobody has randomly a "click" noise (like click of a button or an electrical relay) located near gearbox stick?". It seems to be same noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 03:46 AM   #127
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Caring option and HUD

Whilst sat in a traffic queue last night I took a look at the Caring options which provide music and settings to supposedly relax the driver.

On choosing an option I noticed the the HUD disappeared and couldn't be restored until locking and returning to the car.

I've no idea if the Caring option is meant to remove the HUD but if so, I'd like to be able to restore the HUD without having to stop, power off and get out.

We must be due for a software update as the number of niggles is growing.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:19 AM   #128
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive20i

Hi everyone

I'm putting my Z4 s20i into my local dealer tomorrow for a few little noises it's making.

The first is a fairly constant buzzing/rattling coming from the glovebox area which most commonly manifests when slowing down, going up hills, or turning sharp right. At first I thought it was coming from the speaker grille, but I took the shop foreman out for a drive and he's positive it's actually coming from the glovebox area.

The second is a plastic clicking noise which happens when going over rougher surfaces. It's coming from in between the driver and passenger somewhere. My first instinct is that it's coming from the area where the roof meets the windshield frame but it's pretty hard to tell - noises seem to bounce around the cabin making it hard to track them down! Having seen others complain about a cilcking noise coming from the central area of the car I'm wondering if it could actually be the same noise that you guys are hearing coming from the central console. I'll highlight it with the service adviser tomorrow and hopefully the dealership will be able to track it down.

Expecting to get the car back on Friday so I'll report back. Fortunately I've had zero software issues so far.

Last edited by DrSecretan; 11-12-2019 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #129
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

Rattling from Harmon Kardan door window speakers

after long drive up Norcal coast this weekend noticed on some twisty roads both door tweeters make an annoying rattling sound. frustrating quality cuz you would never get this on a Lexus or Honda. Otherwise zero issues. May try disassembling the speakers but suspect it just may be in the design (or lack of design).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #130
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSecretan View Post
Hi everyone

I'm putting my Z4 s20i into my local dealer tomorrow for a few little noises it's making.

The first is a fairly constant buzzing/rattling coming from the glovebox area which most commonly manifests when slowing down, going up hills, or turning sharp right. At first I thought it was coming from the speaker grille, but I took the shop foreman out for a drive and he's positive it's actually coming from the glovebox area.

The second is a plastic clicking noise which happens when going over rougher surfaces. It's coming from in between the driver and passenger somewhere. My first instinct is that it's coming from the area where the roof meets the windshield frame but it's pretty hard to tell - noises seem to bounce around the cabin making it hard to track them down! Having seen others complain about a cilcking noise coming from the central area of the car I'm wondering if it could actually be the same noise that you guys are hearing coming from the central console. I'll highlight it with the service adviser tomorrow and hopefully the dealership will be able to track it down.

Expecting to get the car back on Friday so I'll report back. Fortunately I've had zero software issues so far.
Good news! I got the car back today, the same day I put it in. Apparently a number of screws on the passenger side trim were not torqued to the correct value, and apparently some clips weren't in right, so they sorted all that out. They also added some foam tape here and there.

The glovebox buzz is now completely cured. However, the plastic clicking noise is still there. I'm pretty sure it's coming from where the roof meets the windshield frame. I'll keep an ear on it for the next few weeks and see if it gets better on its own - if not I'll stick it back in.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #131
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSecretan View Post
Good news! I got the car back today, the same day I put it in. Apparently a number of screws on the passenger side trim were not torqued to the correct value, and apparently some clips weren't in right, so they sorted all that out. They also added some foam tape here and there.

The glovebox buzz is now completely cured. However, the plastic clicking noise is still there. I'm pretty sure it's coming from where the roof meets the windshield frame. I'll keep an ear on it for the next few weeks and see if it gets better on its own - if not I'll stick it back in.
Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting to get my buzzing passenger side trim fixed - the replacement part has finally arrived so it's booked in for Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #132
jwx67
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 m40i

iDrive failure

Hello all - new to the forum but took delivery of my Z4 m40i in July and really love the car .. but yesterday I had my first serious issue.

Was on a long drive home and with 2 hours to go stopped for a break. When I got back into the car and started it up, my center touchscreen was blank along with the map section on the dash. I tried stop / start a few times but no luck. Drove home in silence as no media etc and dropped car with dealer.

I picked it up today and they said it was a software issue and they have updated to latest version of iDrive.

All seems good and my settings / CarPlay connection were retained so not sure what caused this total failure of the system.

Now I just wish they could fix my squeaks and rattles that I have, driver door rattled badly on rough surfaces and center console squeaks too ..

John.
Appreciate 0