BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam

02-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #309
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
I understand how horrible the other events were, and the timing here isn't good to say the least.

But if the previous events didn't happen, would this one still be seen as insensitive? I am now really curious if I am not being sensitive enough to the matter. Handing out cotton to kids, showing them that it hurts to touch, and explaining to them how hard and painful it was to pick this all day, doesn't strike me as insensitive. It is uncomfortable, but making people uncomfortable isn't always bad.

This all being said, I am having a long day, and I am most likely over analyzing this to get my thoughts away from other things.
I think if done in the context of a museum or some sort of specific class on slavery, it could be done in a way that doesn't offend.

The problem here was the fact that it was done randomly at a visit to the governor mansion by the first lady, who is white, and who's husband is currently embroiled within a serious racism scandal.

02-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #310
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but these kids were not victims. They were never slaves. We always say "never forget", sometimes we put people that were not there in uncomfortable situations on purpose to get them to realize how bad the time was, and to never let it happen again.

I agree the props were not necessary, but she was just trying to display how wrong slavery was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
If you go back and re-read my post, you will see that I very clearly state that it was obviously not done with any malicious intent.

The problem is that she did this after...

1) Her husband posed in blackface and a KKK outfit.
2) Her husband had a press conference and stated he dressed like Michael Jackson in blackface and that he can still do a moon walk.
3) He then gets on TV and says that the slaves in Virginia were really just indentured servants.

It is a total and utter lack of compassion and realistic concern or care for those that his administration has insulted. The fact that she didn't think what she did would be misconstrued, most especially in light of the current scandals going on within her husband's administration, is beyond ridiculous.
Quote:
I understand how horrible the other events were, and the timing here isn't good to say the least.

But if the previous events didn't happen, would this one still be seen as insensitive? I am now really curious if I am not being sensitive enough to the matter. Handing out cotton to kids, showing them that it hurts to touch, and explaining to them how hard and painful it was to pick this all day, doesn't strike me as insensitive. It is uncomfortable, but making people uncomfortable isn't always bad.

This all being said, I am having a long day, and I am most likely over analyzing this to get my thoughts away from other things.
This is why I'm saying it's Tone Deaf. They have no situational awareness, whatsoever.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent13718.00
dsad11114.50

03-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #311
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

If you think it's only white Dems in VA who exhibit this kind of behavior, you haven't spent much time in VA.
Appreciate 0