BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Judges

03-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Judges

Manafort gets 47 months last night. I get it, the ship has sailed but the general consesus seems to be the judge stepped out of bounds with an extremely light sentence. Not mention he had telegraphed early on his "opinion" on the whole Mueller investigation. It all kinda of smells but whatever.

My real question is does a check and balance exist for judges? What if he had given him time served and a fine and released him? Is there a process that would have kicked in and said, um, no that wont work.

Surely judges are accountable to someone?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

First, I don’t think the sentence was light in view of the typical sentence for this specific crime.

Judges are checked by higher court reviews - overturned opinions are a form of admonishment. They are checked by peers in most courts, although that is not transparent to the public usually. And in some jurisdictions they are checked at the ballot box (although there is a good argument they will follow public will more than the law in those circumstances).

(I use the term “check” as I think the OP meant it: as to rein in, not to validate or proof-read)
Appreciate 1
Run Silent13717.00

03-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
Halid
Banned
Rep
Drives: Fiat 500

In light of this: "Texas woman sentenced to 5 years in prison for voting while on probation," yes, I believe this was not a fair sentence. Better put, I believe this woman got screwed on hers.

"She was still on community supervision at the time of the election ó but no one, including her probation officer, St. John said, ever told her that being a felon on supervision meant she couldnít vote under Texas law."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2726765f8701
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
Halid
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Unsure of how that relates to the topic at hand?
I'm just saying that Manafort should have received more time, considering that he defrauded the government for about $55 million, and should have gotten a sentence closer to the 20 years that the judge could have given him. Either he had money for a good defense, or this woman did not. I just believe that money buys you justice. The ones who will foot the bill for Manafort will end up being the taxpayer, and after five years, perhaps less, he will be able to go on with his life. Granted, this woman was on parole for doing something similar, it just seems that dollar amounts, in white-collar fraud cases, seem to not have as much impact in sentencing.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halid View Post
I'm just saying that Manafort should have received more time, considering that he defrauded the government for about $55 million, and should have gotten a sentence closer to the 20 years that the judge could have given him. Either he had money for a good defense, or this woman did not. I just believe that money buys you justice. The ones who will foot the bill for Manafort will end up being the taxpayer, and after five years, perhaps less, he will be able to go on with his life. Granted, this woman was on parole for doing something similar, it just seems that dollar amounts, in white-collar fraud cases, seem to not have as much impact in sentencing.
Well, let's see here:

1) She also received a similar prison sentence for tax fraud. So that seems to align with the sentence for Manafort.

2) She essentially committed another crime while on probation, hence the harsh sentence she received this time.

3) Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse for breaking it.

Now - with all that said, I don't think either her or Manafort should have received the jail time they did. I think it is ridiculous that you get such long prison sentences, twice as long as a violent assault charge or home invasion in many cases, for simply not giving your hard earned money over to the government.

In addition, 5 years for the probation violation is super harsh as well.

Bottom line - Manafort received a punishment that is within the normal range of what this crime typically receives. No issues there. If you want to say that others have been unjustly punished and that many poor people get longer prison sentences, then that is certainly true and I would love to rectify that, but it is a story for another day.

03-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Halid
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well, let's see here:

1) She also received a similar prison sentence for tax fraud. So that seems to align with the sentence for Manafort.

2) She essentially committed another crime while on probation, hence the harsh sentence she received this time.

3) Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse for breaking it.

Now - with all that said, I don't think either her or Manafort should have received the jail time they did. I think it is ridiculous that you get such long prison sentences, twice as long as a violent assault charge or home invasion in many cases, for simply not giving your hard earned money over to the government.

In addition, 5 years for the probation violation is super harsh as well.

Bottom line - Manafort received a punishment that is within the normal range of what this crime typically receives. No issues there. If you want to say that others have been unjustly punished and that many poor people get longer prison sentences, then that is certainly true and I would love to rectify that, but it is a story for another day.
Actually that was my rant. Nothing more.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent13717.00
2000cs1396.50

03-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

He's not out of the woods by any means. More to come.

Taking off 9 months for time served made John Brennan's head fall off.
Run Silent13717.00

03-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
He's not out of the woods by any means. More to come.

Taking off 9 months for time served made John Brennan's head fall off.
Yes, maybe the next judge will take a different view and all indications are she is a bit more, aggressive. I just think this guy is as dirty as the day is long and thumbed his nose at the justice system and did not get what he deserved.

I think the max she can do on the next charges are 10 years so we will see. I think she also has the option to make it either concurrent or consecutive.
Appreciate 1
Jockey2169.50

03-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
^This.

He received 4 years in prison for basically paying less taxes than he should have. At his age and health, that is essentially a life sentence.

Life in prison for a monetary crime that didn't impact any other citizen is pretty damn harsh in my book.

On a side note, the national average prison time served for a federal tax evasion or tax fraud conviction is 18.2 months. He is getting nearly 4 times that amount. How does one not think this is fair?
I agree and also donít forget he has also been in prison during this period too. So heís in jail for more than 47 months unless they are subtracting time served.
Appreciate 0