BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum M40i stock tires and ride (dis)comfort

03-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

M40i stock tires and ride (dis)comfort

I know these are a summer tire and maybe a big part of the problem is that it's still cold outside (-8c or 17.6f). The roads are clear however, so going for a spin on the highway isn't of any concern. I find the stock tires exceptionally noisy with a bone jarring ride even in comfort mode. Driving for 40 minutes on the highway did not improve things. Road bumps feel about as bad in Comfort as they do even in Sport + (I was switching back and forth). I was also seeing the the headlight reflections on signs bouncing up and down every time I hit a minor bump in the road and I was bouncing in my seat too. Honestly, I had a hard time telling any difference between Sport, Sport + and Comfort. Comfort is certainly not a comfort setting compared to my other ride which is a Golf R. It's an absolute night and day difference like comparing a near luxury sedan ride to a stock wrx.

I hope it improves when it gets warmer. I think I should check the tire pressure and make sure they are not over inflated as well.

edit: checked tire pressure and they were a few pounds over. I don't think it made a difference though. Waiting for warmer weather still...

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 03-24-2020 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Warmer weather today (11c) certainly makes a difference with these tires. Definitely less road noise and ride comfort is a bit better too.

Rob
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      03-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
BuckeyeZ4M40i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M40i

I notice a substantial difference between Sport and Comfort modes but certainly not bone jarring. This is a sports car, not a 7 series.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      04-13-2020, 03:36 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Warmer weather today (11c) certainly makes a difference with these tires. Definitely less road noise and ride comfort is a bit better too.

Rob
Glad it's getting better for you Rob
      04-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I know these are a summer tire and maybe a big part of the problem is that it's still cold outside (-8c or 17.6f). The roads are clear however, so going for a spin on the highway isn't of any concern. I find the stock tires exceptionally noisy with a bone jarring ride even in comfort mode. Driving for 40 minutes on the highway did not improve things. Road bumps feel about as bad in Comfort as they do even in Sport + (I was switching back and forth). I was also seeing the the headlight reflections on signs bouncing up and down every time I hit a minor bump in the road and I was bouncing in my seat too. Honestly, I had a hard time telling any difference between Sport, Sport + and Comfort. Comfort is certainly not a comfort setting compared to my other ride which is a Golf R. It's an absolute night and day difference like comparing a near luxury sedan ride to a stock wrx.

I hope it improves when it gets warmer. I think I should check the tire pressure and make sure they are not over inflated as well.

edit: checked tire pressure and they were a few pounds over. I don't think it made a difference though. Waiting for warmer weather still...

Rob
You shouldn't be using summer performance tires under 40 degrees F.....composition doesn't like the cold and sidewalls get very stiff....you can have sidewall blowouts if you hit a bump too hard....also, tires lose a significant amount of grip....be careful...
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0