BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum How to shut off the radio...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
BuckeyeZ4M40i
Registered
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4M40i
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Florida Panhandle

iTrader: (0)

How to shut off the radio...

Own a 2020 Z4 M40i and when I turn the car off, the radio continues to play unless I lock the car. Is there another option to have the radio turn off without locking the car, or turning off the radio manually? Something in settings that I've missed?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:14 AM   #2
Jim S
Member
Jim S's Avatar
Scotland
274
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i G29
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If you press and hold the volume button for about 6 seconds it shuts off the radio,
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
CeEl
Captain
United_States
165
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: not too bad
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ4M40i View Post
Own a 2020 Z4 M40i and when I turn the car off, the radio continues to play unless I lock the car. Is there another option to have the radio turn off without locking the car, or turning off the radio manually? Something in settings that I've missed?

Thanks.
That happens to me sometimes thanks to auto start stop and/or car turning off when opening the door - I press start/stop button twice by accident or too long or something. There may even be settings in iDrive (can't remember).

Anyway, what happens if you just open the door if engine shut off?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
kj57
New Member
17
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East TN, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Anyway, what happens if you just open the door if engine shut off?

Only menu settings are to shut the car down when opening the door after it was running.

If you just open the door and close it without locking the radio will stay on for a while, around a 1/2 hour or so.

Even with the shutdown when opening door enabled if you change some settings before opening the door the radio will stay on unless you lock it or hold down the button to shut it off.

At least thats how it works for me
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
CeEl
Captain
United_States
165
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: not too bad
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj57 View Post
Only menu settings are to shut the car down when opening the door after it was running.

If you just open the door and close it without locking the radio will stay on for a while, around a 1/2 hour or so.

Even with the shutdown when opening door enabled if you change some settings before opening the door the radio will stay on unless you lock it or hold down the button to shut it off.

At least thats how it works for me
Not normal... should have a couple nicer days ahead, will pay more attention to it and see if there is a setting of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
10204
Rep
8,704
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
If you press and hold the volume button for about 6 seconds it shuts off the radio,
This works every time and is the way it was intended to work by BMW. Why are people complicating it so much?
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:46 PM   #7
kj57
New Member
17
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East TN, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Not normal... should have a couple nicer days ahead, will pay more attention to it and see if there is a setting of some sort.
Pretty sure its normal and nothing you can do about it, its called 'standby state' in the manual and its activated after the door is opened from the outside.

I think its kind of silly that if you leave it unlocked anyone can open the door and play with vehicle settings and radio with a fob nowhere near the car but I couldnt find any way to disable it.

Last edited by kj57; 03-31-2020 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:56 PM   #8
kj57
New Member
17
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East TN, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ4M40i View Post
Own a 2020 Z4 M40i and when I turn the car off, the radio continues to play unless I lock the car. Is there another option to have the radio turn off without locking the car, or turning off the radio manually? Something in settings that I've missed?

Thanks.
CAR>settings>Doors/Access>Turn off vehicle after opening door

Works fine unless you play with the radio or settings before you open the door, if you do you will have to shut off manually.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
CeEl
Captain
United_States
165
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: not too bad
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ4M40i View Post
Own a 2020 Z4 M40i and when I turn the car off, the radio continues to play unless I lock the car. Is there another option to have the radio turn off without locking the car, or turning off the radio manually? Something in settings that I've missed?

Thanks.
CAR>settings>Doors/Access>Turn off vehicle after opening door

Works fine unless you play with the radio or settings before you open the door, if you do you will have to shut off manually.
Yep, that's it. You beat me to it, just found it myself and was about to reply.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST