BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Can someone explain to me why we should take even one syrian refugee

Closed Thread

12-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #309
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I never personally insulted you so I'd appreciate the same courtesy nor did I point fingers, I asked a simple question, sorry if you took it as me personally attacking your family, I didn't mean any offense by it. I grew up in a lower income household too, my parents were hard workers too and now live a healthy lifestyle.

I will say though, I never understood why you'd refuse help out of dignity. Your parents worked and paid taxes so I never understood the stigma behind using programs that you paid into. It's like not wanting to file an insurance claim even though that's why you pay a premium every month.

I personally don't mind temporarily helping American citizens who have fallen on hard times by no fault of their own which is why those programs are in place. Are they abused? Of course they are, but situations like this aren't mutually exclusive. It's not like I don't give a shit about Americans if I don't necessarily agree that we should completely not allow any refugees into the country. I also don't believe that everyone on government assistance is just a lazy ass but realize that some of them are. Others can't find work due to medical issues and the like.
Ok, sorry I was out of line for the name calling, I apologize.

As for the stigma with the welfare programs, it was less of a stigma and more of a disagreement with the program. Just because a program is available doesn't mean they necessarily agree with it and would use it. I can't blame them either, using assistance programs affects people in many ways and a lot of time I can see how it can make people comfortable with doing the bare minimum and being lazy - who knows what would happen if they had used it, maybe my parents would've been content and drained it for all it's worth which would have instilled bad values in me...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #310
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
Ok, sorry I was out of line for the name calling, I apologize.

As for the stigma with the welfare programs, it was less of a stigma and more of a disagreement with the program. Just because a program is available doesn't mean they necessarily agree with it and would use it. I can't blame them either, using assistance programs affects people in many ways and a lot of time I can see how it can make people comfortable with doing the bare minimum and being lazy - who knows what would happen if they had used it, maybe my parents would've been content and drained it for all it's worth which would have instilled bad values in me...
No worries, thanks for the apology.

But yeah the rest of what you said makes perfect sense can't really debate any of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #311
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
No worries, thanks for the apology.

But yeah the rest of what you said makes perfect sense can't really debate any of that.
btw, i was working in Reston, VA a few months ago... why are none of the streets/highways lit up around there?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #312
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
You know I was talking about the quip about how "Obama won't allow Syrian Christians" in.
I posted it. According to official policy for refugee status they don't qualify.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #313
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkM3 View Post
main difference is terrorists weren't trying to smuggle into those countries pretending to be jews.

i would be all for taking in these syrian refugees if there really was a proper way to vet them, but there isnt. also, i find it very odd that in almost every picture or video i see of refugees it is 95% men between the age of 18-40. you dont see many women and children.
Yes we did have a lots of people pretending to be Jews and they turned out to be Nazis.
Yes you do see lots of men and women and children
Some are probably terrorists. we can't say no to families everybody needs father and mother wouldn't you agree.
1.I say if you don't have family traveling with you, you don't get to come in.
as simple as that.
2. now you start screening everybody mother father grandparents etc...

from now on I will try to distance my self from political and religious topics.
People just get to carried away inner nazi and hate starts to come out I don't need that in my life.
What people pretended to be Jews?
      12-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #314
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Do you have any idea what happened with Jews in 1939?
America and other nations rejected Jews They could have saved thousands of innocent people.
Everybody keep saying ISIS This and that but yet ISIS kill 99% of muslims.
Am not trying to pick fights with nobody just saying my opinion.
Wtf are you talking about? For one thing I'm 36 and Polish, my family lived through WW2. The Final Solution was not implemented till roughly 1942.

One more thing, Israel also said "absolutely not" to the refugees and they are right on the border with Syria.

Last edited by Delta0311; 12-12-2015 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #315
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

They vanish as soon as you prove the point you stated and they said was a lie.
1. No Christian refugees as per current administration policy they don't qualify.
2. Jews were turned away for economic reasons because they had other closer options and the Holocaust hadn't begun yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #316
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
btw, i was working in Reston, VA a few months ago... why are none of the streets/highways lit up around there?
Ha! Too far out in the burbs for all that.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #317
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
main difference is terrorists weren't trying to smuggle into those countries pretending to be jews.

i would be all for taking in these syrian refugees if there really was a proper way to vet them, but there isnt. also, i find it very odd that in almost every picture or video i see of refugees it is 95% men between the age of 18-40. you dont see many women and children.
Admitting a refugee into the United States takes upwards of 5 years. It's a long and involved process split between half a dozen US agencies. We have some of the most detailed checks in the world.

There are many more FAR easier ways to enter the United States than embedding a sleeper in a group of Syrian Refugees. It makes no sense from an operational standpoint for ISIL and similar organizations to do it.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #318
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert
Quote:

Admitting a refugee into the United States takes upwards of 5 years. It's a long and involved process split between half a dozen US agencies. We have some of the most detailed checks in the world.

There are many more FAR easier ways to enter the United States than embedding a sleeper in a group of Syrian Refugees. It makes no sense from an operational standpoint for ISIL and similar organizations to do it.
Well it didn't take very long for the female San Bernardino shooter to get in - was just a few months.

There are many different statuses of refugees, and each gets varying acceleration. The US Dept of State quotes it at 12-18 months on average:

http://m.state.gov/md210135.htm
      12-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #319
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

And the Syrian refugees are on the fast track because we don't have the resources to properly vette or track them.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #320
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

[QUOTE=BrokenVert]It's a long and involved process split between half a dozen US agencies. We have some of the most detailed checks in the world.

Think about that for a minute.
      12-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #321
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Well it didn't take very long for the female San Bernardino shooter to get in - was just a few months.

There are many different statuses of refugees, and each gets varying acceleration. The US Dept of State quotes it at 12-18 months on average:

She wasn't a refugee, bit easier if you're coming back with some American citizen you just met.

And it actually takes Syrian refugees LONGER to be processed due to the additional security risk. They require one extra step per http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...rian-refugees/

Quote:
Syrian refugees in particular must clear one additional hurdle. Their documents are placed under extra scrutiny and cross-referenced with classified and unclassified information.

The process typically takes one to two years or longer and happens before a refugee ever gets onto American soil.
Not sure where you got your info from about them being on the "fast track". Well I guess I do, you made it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #322
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:

She wasn't a refugee, bit easier if you're coming back with some American citizen you just met.

And it actually takes Syrian refugees LONGER to be processed due to the additional security risk. They require one extra step per http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...rian-refugees/

Quote:
Syrian refugees in particular must clear one additional hurdle. Their documents are placed under extra scrutiny and cross-referenced with classified and unclassified information.

The process typically takes one to two years or longer and happens before a refugee ever gets onto American soil.
Not sure where you got your info from about them being on the "fast track". Well I guess I do, you made it up.
The fast track comment wasn't mine, but it appears the Obama Administration is indeed working to fast track. And once they are here, their relatives go to the front of the immigration line.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/sy...tres-1.3308576
      12-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #323
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The fast track comment wasn't mine, but it appears the Obama Administration is indeed working to fast track. And once they are here, their relatives go to the front of the immigration line.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/sy...tres-1.3308576
I only skimmed but it looks like that article is saying that they opened up more screening centers to handle more people at once, not make the process shorter but to process more people.

It sounds like they're opening up a new screening processing center in Iraq by the end of the year and to resume processing refugees in Lebanon by early 2016 (I guess that would imply that refugees in Lebanon are currently SOL).

And you can petition to allow family in but that is limited to children under 21, your spouse, and mother and father only as per http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/re...sylum/refugees
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #324
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Looks like the horse has left the barn already. Thanks, Obama!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/16...-100000-since/
      12-17-2015, 05:36 AM   #325
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Well let's see. The article confradicts itself. First it says there are 1800 refugees here already. Second it says the process takes 1-2 yes before they even get here. The refugee crisis started in August. I'd call that fast track. Also 10,000 more by next year. Finally the checks are based on databases. It has no way to check out someone who isn't on our database. I'm sure Syria has perfect databases and I'm equally sure they share them with us. I'm also sure the reports of rampant fake documents made from real passports issued by Syria etc through bribery are totally false also. Obama wants a total of 60,000 refugees over the next few years and is trying to make it difficult to stop for the next president. If we are right 99.9% of the time that let's 60 terrorists in. That's dozens of Paris style or worse incidents potentially. Makes perfect sense. And this based on your notoriously left leaning site.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #326
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post

Can you could explain this?
Anyone?

Some 102,313 Syrians were granted admission to the U.S. as legal permanent residents or through programs including work, study and tourist visas from 2012 through August of this year.
      12-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #327
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

They can't because it's bs.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #328
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
They can't because it's bs.
I'd be interested in the legality.
      12-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #329
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Well let's see. The article confradicts itself. First it says there are 1800 refugees here already. Second it says the process takes 1-2 yes before they even get here. The refugee crisis started in August. I'd call that fast track. Also 10,000 more by next year. Finally the checks are based on databases. It has no way to check out someone who isn't on our database. I'm sure Syria has perfect databases and I'm equally sure they share them with us. I'm also sure the reports of rampant fake documents made from real passports issued by Syria etc through bribery are totally false also. Obama wants a total of 60,000 refugees over the next few years and is trying to make it difficult to stop for the next president. If we are right 99.9% of the time that let's 60 terrorists in. That's dozens of Paris style or worse incidents potentially. Makes perfect sense. And this based on your notoriously left leaning site.
The Syrian crisis started in 2012 , not this past August (maybe you meant August of 2012? Either way, that's over 3 years ago so the article isn't contradicting itself). You know, back during the whole "red line" fiasco.

The 10,000 number is the ceiling, I mentioned somewhere earlier that I highly doubt we hit anywhere close to that number due to the crushing inefficiency and red tape that is government.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #330
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

10,000 is the ceiling for next year. 60,000 total over the next few years. The conflict started in 2012. The refugees started pouring out this past summer as the Obama approach continued to fail, isis speak out and started affecting larger areas.

Even then 2012 + 5 doesn't equal 2015. Yet 1,800 are here and 10,00 more on the way for next year. Curious how a 5 yr vetting process can fit into that time frame. Also curious how someone fleeing a marauding group of religious zealots is supposed to wait 5 years to evacuate.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread