BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion I think Tesla will be gone in ten years

04-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #3697
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I was excited about model y performance but stark interior and no air suspension etc on performance model means its of no interest to me as i hear in Tesla forums that the ride quality in less perfect roads is traumatic.
Yeah, but most people are massive ride quality pussies: "waaaa BUMPS! "

Tons of people ON THIS FORUM say the exact same thing (or worse) about the X3/4M! and it's not even close the harsh. And those same pussies RUINED the F8x. The 2015 stock tuning was a fucking battleaxe, then I got my 2018 comp, blech the tuning blows. Even the DCT kickdown (which granted I never use) doesn't put you in the actual lowest gear, it picks one above and the suspension is way softer. /vent

On the stark Tesla interiors ... yeah, I agree although if you were used to a 1990 cordless phone and then suddenly switched to a 2020 iphone, it would appear pretty stark too. I think the feeling of stark is just tech-shock that we all have to (and will) get used to. The motorola startac flip-phone is the best call phone I've ever had; the OG blackberry is the best pager, then phone, I've ever had - I like buttons and the glass slab smartphones seem really stark but ... i deal.

Anyway, tuners will be making interior upgrade kits but honestly I think current buyers are a totally different market. Old people want buttons and a fancy interior, millennials mostly don't give a shit (and don't want to pay for it) because they're screen-raised. Find a gen-z or millennial staring at their phone and ask them to recall any environmental detail whatsoever outside of the screen, they have no fucking clue and don't care.

Teslas are designed for Gen-Z and millenials: just the screen/software, everything else only functional, because it's just the packaging.

Said differently, the phone is the luxury and status symbol, not the phone case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN619.50
chris7193308.50
minn196958.00
MFNATIK1499.00

04-07-2020, 10:48 PM   #3698
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Seriously. I've heard good things about their ride quality. My concern with a Model 3 Performance is that it's too cushy stock.

I daily drove a Z4M in the NYC metro area for years and really had few complaints about the ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:08 AM   #3699
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Seriously. I've heard good things about their ride quality. My concern with a Model 3 Performance is that it's too cushy stock.

I daily drove a Z4M in the NYC metro area for years and really had few complaints about the ride quality.
I always had a thing for the Z4M, every time I see them I get kinda jealous. not quite the right car for me sizewise, but pretty sharp looking to my eye!

Quote:
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #3700
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

"Tesla to furlough workers, cut employee salaries due to coronavirus"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21Q0CO
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1415.00

04-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #3701
floridaorange
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Also comparative models such as x7 50 and other Audi models are probably slower off a straight line but suspension comfort and interior class etc are much much better.

yep - that's the trade off, i'd toss benz in there too.
      04-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #3702
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
"Tesla to furlough workers, cut employee salaries due to coronavirus"
It's a shame other companies aren't following Tesla's model:
* Keep your job
* Keep you benefits
* Lose 3 week's pay
And the Tesla execs are funding it with their pay cuts over a quarter - would love to see the rest of American corporations protect their workers like this, but they won't of course.

On a political note, dems favoring paychecks to workers vs. $$ to companies (and following the Tesla model) are batshit crazy
What causes more stress?
* You keep your job and benefits, but lose pay for 3-x weeks
or
* You lose your job AND your benefits, but here's $1200

fucking ridiculous and even if Congress does the Tesla model in a new bill, many of the layoffs have already happened.

UPDATE: Hearst steps up
Bucking the newspaper industry trend, Hearst Corporation has told its newsrooms there will be no layoffs, no furloughs and no pay cuts during the course of coronavirus coverage.

In fact, Hearst CEO Steven Swartz told publishers and editors in a conference call this week, the company is giving a 1% bonus to all employees, will create an added bonus merit pool later and is waiving the budget targets that determine executive bonuses.

In addition, the company is taking out six-figure TV ad buys in some markets to promote the papers and their pandemic coverage.

Quote:

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-08-2020 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #3703
KRS_SN
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15,F30, F34, E91.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
I was excited about model y performance but stark interior and no air suspension etc on performance model means its of no interest to me as i hear in Tesla forums that the ride quality in less perfect roads is traumatic.

Tons of people ON THIS FORUM say the exact same thing (or worse) about the X3/4M! and it's not even close the harsh. And those same pussies RUINED the F8x. The 2015 stock tuning was a fucking battleaxe, then I got my 2018 comp, blech the tuning blows. Even the DCT kickdown (which granted I never use) doesn't put you in the actual lowest gear, it picks one above and the suspension is way softer. /vent

On the stark Tesla interiors ... yeah, I agree although if you were used to a 1990 cordless phone and then suddenly switched to a 2020 iphone, it would appear pretty stark too. I think the feeling of stark is just tech-shock that we all have to (and will) get used to. The motorola startac flip-phone is the best call phone I've ever had; the OG blackberry is the best pager, then phone, I've ever had - I like buttons and the glass slab smartphones seem really stark but ... i deal.

Anyway, tuners will be making interior upgrade kits but honestly I think current buyers are a totally different market. Old people want buttons and a fancy interior, millennials mostly don't give a shit (and don't want to pay for it) because they're screen-raised. Find a gen-z or millennial staring at their phone and ask them to recall any environmental detail whatsoever outside of the screen, they have no fucking clue and don't care.

Teslas are designed for Gen-Z and millenials: just the screen/software, everything else only functional, because it's just the packaging.

Said differently, the phone is the luxury and status symbol, not the phone case.

agree the type of buyer who buys Tesla without a test ride and over the internet isn't a connoisseur but a consumer.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott9119.00

04-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #3704
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
agree the type of buyer who buys Tesla without a test ride and over the internet isn't a connoisseur but a consumer.
+1, I'd probably expand that to just about all buyers of Teslas (some, like those here of course, have other connoisseur rides)

BTW, love the the way you put that: "connoisseur" vs the ridiculous "purist" or "enthusiast"

Quote:
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN619.50

04-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #3705
Wolf 335
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

EV are a freight train without brakes.

There is no stopping this movement into the future.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #3706
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post

EV's have no character ,there is no emotion in their performance . And when the torque and power is required , the battery is dead again ..
They are like laptops on wheels and they sound like a vacuum cleaner .

Yesterday I watched the first driver reviews from the new 992 Turbo-S . And I thought...Hell yeah !
Miko M5780.00
Germanauto4302.50
KRS_SN619.50
GrussGott9119.00
530iDriver1415.00

04-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #3707
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:

EV's have no character ,there is no emotion in their performance . And when the torque and power is required , the battery is dead again ..

Yesterday I watched the first driver reviews from the new 992 Turbo-S . And I thought...Hell yeah !
Couldn't agree more
      04-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #3708
Murf993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Quote:

EV is like a digital watch or smart phone, sure it keeps good time but they are disposable and will be replaced by the new model. ICE are like a mechanical watch, they have soul and are something to be enjoyed and kept.
Appreciate 7
cfm56d7b2074.50
Miko M5780.00
N54Yankee2630.00
Germanauto4302.50
GrussGott9119.00
530iDriver1415.00

04-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #3709
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Couldn't agree more
Yessss....Sir ! Thank you
530iDriver1415.00

04-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #3710
Wolf 335
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I get what you're saying, however it is inevitable that all cars will be EVs at some point down the line. Not in our life time, but it will happen.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #3711
Murf993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Quote:
I get what you're saying, however it is inevitable that all cars will be EVs at some point down the line. Not in our life time, but it will happen.
Who can say what the world will look like in 50 years, I don't think anyone could've imagined how things have changed in the last few months.
Appreciate 5
Wolf 3351129.00
Miko M5780.00
heavyD^21173.50
KRS_SN619.50
530iDriver1415.00

04-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #3712
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
That's for sure . Over here in some of our big cities it's like "The future is now"
Cars with combustion engines are already prohibited in our big cities .

Actually it's ridiculous , as we know that China is spitting 24/7 poison in the sky ...
The Chinese wear mouth masks already 10 years before COVID-19 came , to protect their selves for the "poisoned industrial smog"
Is China another planet ? I don't think so .

Mate .As you can see EV's are cleaner....
Attached Images

KRS_SN619.50

04-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #3713
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3, X1 xDrive28i

Quote:

You are not wrong, but keep in mind 95% of car owners don't care about "character" the way that we, the car enthusiast, does.

The majority of auto sales are to the Joe-Camry who just wants to go from point A to point B. Even many of the BMW, Mercedes, etc. buyers are more into the label and prestige vs. the roaring engine and raw feel. You think Porsche honestly thinks the Taycan is going to out-drive the feel and emotion of a NA Flat 6 911? Of course not...but they know the majority of their customer base just wants to own the Porsche label and will line up for a Porsche EV.

The problem with reversing the EV trend is that it's only the minority of the market that feels the way "we" feel, and companies are going to manage to their profits vs. their purists.

Problem with synthetic fuels is I don't see the R&D and cost as ever being realistic for the average consumer to the point it is attractive vs EV. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by Flacht3; 04-09-2020 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #3714
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
EV is like a digital watch or smart phone, sure it keeps good time but they are disposable and will be replaced by the new model. ICE are like a mechanical watch, they have soul and are something to be enjoyed and kept.
Great analogy and I agree wholeheartedly
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Murf9932189.50

04-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #3715
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

EVs are so heavy, wouldn't this be detrimental to handling in supercars? And with ICE/hybrid technology these cars are already blindingly fast, I don't know how much quicker EVs can be given how they still need the same tires to put the traction down.

Supercar manufacturers, notably Ferrari and Lamborghini, may have a lot of lose by going electric. Their engines and exhaust note are so integral to their heritage and their customers desire it too.
530iDriver1415.00

04-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #3716
Wolf 335
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Mate .As you can see EV's are cleaner....
I don't think this picture is a fair representation. What is doesn't show is oil processing plants and a whole bunch more.

Yes both carry some sort of pollution aspect to it, but if it can be reduced at a particular level why not.

All i am saying is that evolution is unstoppable. Just like manual transmissions are faded out, hydraulic power steering, and so on, internal combustion will be too. We don't like it because it's what we are born into and what we grew to love. But kids of tomorrow will not wanna drive anything but EV.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #3717
KRS_SN
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15,F30, F34, E91.

ev's aren't a status symbol in the world (except in their owners minds).
SUVs such as range rover or bmw x5/7 and q7 etc etc are.
That's where most of the money and sales and repeat custom is with a pressure to upgrade to latest modelevery 3 years and manufacturers know this.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #3718
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
ev's aren't a status symbol in the world (except in their owners minds).
SUVs such as range rover or bmw x5/7 and q7 etc etc are.
That's where most of the money and sales and repeat custom is with a pressure to upgrade to latest modelevery 3 years and manufacturers know this.
And i loath suv almost as much as i loath ev.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott9119.00