BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Do you want the Wall? (US citizens only poll)

View Poll Results: Do you want the wall?
Yes, build that Wall 141 47.96%
No, it's a waste of money 129 43.88%
Indifferent/no opinion, doesn't matter 24 8.16%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

01-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #89
Jordanf32
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4MATIC

Garage List
Damn the xenophobia jumped out on this thread
Appreciate 1
minn196905.50

01-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #90
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The voting citizens of the US used the process prescribed by law to put the candidate in office that promised to build a border wall. The mandate is clearly on the side of building the wall.
Trump did get into office, and he did promise a wall, but I think it's a leap to say that is why everyone who voted for him did so. Many did, of course, but I think you are making connections that don't automatically exist. He also said he'd abolish Obamacare and replace it with something better. And put hundreds of billions into infrastructure. And put Hillary in jail. And much more - doesn't mean everyone who voted for him thought these things automatically should be done or will be, or that he is now in office they HAVE to be.

I think we tend to vote for the least of the evils. Who is actually 100% behind every single thing their candidate says?
As I was saying in the other thread, Trump did not win mandate, not by a large margin.

More people voted for Hillary than trump. And a vast majority voted with Hillary, or against Hillary. I would say only 25% to 30% of the people voted for trump. Not a mandate.

Reagan had a mandate. George H Bush had a mandate. Bill Clinton had a mandate. Obama had a mandate. Trump does not have a mandate to do anything. His mandate was to not be Hillary.
This really is TDS territory. You're usually better than this sludge. You have no idea how many votes Trump won were votes for him or against Clinton. smh
      01-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #91
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
The voting citizens of the US used the process prescribed by law to put the candidate in office that promised to build a border wall. The mandate is clearly on the side of building the wall.
Trump did get into office, and he did promise a wall, but I think it's a leap to say that is why everyone who voted for him did so. Many did, of course, but I think you are making connections that don't automatically exist.
This is how politics works. When a candidate wins it is considered because of the policies he/she campaigned on. 💡
      01-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #92
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Enough agreed his policies were better than devil womans. Or she was so damn evil trump could have ran on a rape for all campaign and still won.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #93
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Trump did get into office, and he did promise a wall, but I think it's a leap to say that is why everyone who voted for him did so. Many did, of course, but I think you are making connections that don't automatically exist.
This is how politics works. When a candidate wins it is considered because of the policies he/she campaigned on. 💡
Wait. Are you saying Candidates win elections because of the policies they promise to act on during the campaign? HOLY SHIT I just had an epiphany

No wonder the Bozo Democrats lost in 2016. It's hard to win when you don't even understand the rules.
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #94
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
So, the highest ranking Dems voted for this Secure Fence Act under Bush. Amazing now that a Republican is in office, Schumer and others won't support it. This is why our gov't officials are a joke and actually don't care about the people of this country. This is truly a disgrace regardless if you support the wall or not. However, it blows my mind that the Dems would rather bury their collective heads in the sand and think that our border security is fine today than try to improve it.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/01/02...wall-2006-not/
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
kent11202522.50

01-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #95
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Uh Bush was a Republican?
Appreciate 2
MKSixer22685.50

01-21-2019, 06:30 AM   #96
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
So, the highest ranking Dems voted for this Secure Fence Act under Bush. Amazing now that a Republican is in office, Schumer and others won't support it. This is why our gov't officials are a joke and actually don't care about the people of this country. This is truly a disgrace regardless if you support the wall or not. However, it blows my mind that the Dems would rather bury their collective heads in the sand and think that our border security is fine today than try to improve it.

You realize that 95-ish percent of the fencing/barriers approved in the amended 2007 legislation has actually been built, right?

Trying to equate this with Trump's promises is a failure.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #97
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
if you cant climb a wall.... what do you do???

dig a tunnel lol
Appreciate 1
ny325612.00

01-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #98
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Republican mayor of San Diego’s thought/experience on the subject including the local economy’s impact with a closed border and unpaid Coast Guards.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/39843494/m...-cnn-interview
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #99
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post

dig a tunnel lol
It shouldn't be that hard to build under the existing fence, i think that's what the link refers to.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #100
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post
Republican mayor of San Diego’s thought/experience on the subject including the local economy’s impact with a closed border and unpaid Coast Guards.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/39843494/m...-cnn-interview
He didn't answer the question, and he stated that SAN DIEGO doesn't need a wall, because they already have one at San Ysidro.

PS, this was, and will be, my write-in candidate for POTUS.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #101
ny325
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Mexico is paying, that's what Trump said. Now he, and the house are going back and forth. And the 800,000 government workers are the ones suffering. They need to sit down like grown adults, and work this out. Enough, is enough already.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #102
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
He didn't answer the question, and he stated that SAN DIEGO doesn't need a wall, because they already have one at San Ysidro.

I think the most important take away from the Mayor of San Diego’s stance and experience with border relations is that the fear mongering by the President about an ongoing invasion is just not true. Someone from Indiana who knows nothing about the reality but just listens to untruthful fear mongering rheteroric of the President needs to take the time and become better informed. Sorry to pick on Indiana people, it was the first state to come to mind. Sure some areas need more barriers and barrier repairs but an actual wall across the entire southern border is nonsense. A desert the size Connecticut Is not a bad deterrent and sadly takes many lives each year.
      01-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #103
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:

I think the most important take away from the Mayor of San Diego's stance and experience with border relations is that the fear mongering by the President about an ongoing invasion is just not true. Someone from Indiana who knows nothing about the reality but just listens to untruthful fear mongering rheteroric of the President needs to take the time and become better informed. Sorry to pick on Indiana people, it was the first state to come to mind. Sure some areas need more barriers and barrier repairs but an actual wall across the entire southern border is nonsense. A desert the size Connecticut Is not a bad deterrent and sadly takes many lives each year.
Wow you're giving advice to take time to become better informed?

POTUS has said over and over that there is no plan or need for a physical barrier "from sea to shining sea," yet people like you keep floating this red herring like its some great intellectual point. As recently as two days ago he reiterated this point. Perhaps if you actually learn what our President's plan is you'd realize there isn't that much light between you both.

During his remarks about the government shutdown on January 25th he said the following:

We do not need 2,000 miles of concrete wall from sea to shining sea — we never did; we never proposed that; we never wanted that — because we have barriers at the border where natural structures are as good as anything that we can build. They're already there. They've been there for millions of years.

Our proposed structures will be in pre-determined high-risk locations that have been specifically identified by the Border Patrol to stop illicit flows of people and drugs. No border security plan can ever work without a physical barrier. Just doesn't happen.

As for your characterization that there is no "ongoing invasion;" I'd like to learn how you define an ongoing invasion. If I may quote our President again from the same statement...

Last month was the third straight month in a row with 60,000 apprehensions on our southern border. Think of that. we apprehended 60,000 people. That's like a stadium full of people. A big stadium.

180,000 apprehensions over the last three months fits my personal definition of both "ongoing" and "invasion."

Full transcript of the remarks: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings..._medium=header
      01-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #104
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think the most important take away from the Mayor of San Diego's stance and experience with border relations is that the fear mongering by the President about an ongoing invasion is just not true. Someone from Indiana who knows nothing about the reality but just listens to untruthful fear mongering rheteroric of the President needs to take the time and become better informed. Sorry to pick on Indiana people, it was the first state to come to mind. Sure some areas need more barriers and barrier repairs but an actual wall across the entire southern border is nonsense. A desert the size Connecticut Is not a bad deterrent and sadly takes many lives each year.
Wow you're giving advice to take time to become better informed?

POTUS has said over and over that there is no plan or need for a physical barrier "from sea to shining sea," yet people like you keep floating this red herring like its some great intellectual point. As recently as two days ago he reiterated this point. Perhaps if you actually learn what our President's plan is you'd realize there isn't that much light between you both.

During his remarks about the government shutdown on January 25th he said the following:

We do not need 2,000 miles of concrete wall from sea to shining sea — we never did; we never proposed that; we never wanted that — because we have barriers at the border where natural structures are as good as anything that we can build. They're already there. They've been there for millions of years.

Our proposed structures will be in pre-determined high-risk locations that have been specifically identified by the Border Patrol to stop illicit flows of people and drugs. No border security plan can ever work without a physical barrier. Just doesn't happen.

As for your characterization that there is no "ongoing invasion;" I'd like to learn how you define an ongoing invasion. If I may quote our President again from the same statement...

Last month was the third straight month in a row with 60,000 apprehensions on our southern border. Think of that. we apprehended 60,000 people. That's like a stadium full of people. A big stadium.

That fits my personal definition of both "ongoing" and "invasion."

Full transcript of the remarks: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings..._medium=header
A stadium full of people that need all sorts of free services paid for by you guessed it the American taxpayer.

Are people really this dumb? It's rhetorical
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #105
cjb762
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:

dig a tunnel lol
Trump being shown where illegals tunneled under existing wall at 1:15:

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #106
cjb762
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

It's not because a republican is in office, it's because it is trump.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #107
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Build it. Walls work.

You want to live and work in the USA? Follow the proper channels. I had to and I didn't mind. Dealing with the DHS is tedious, but those are the rules.

I enjoyed my time in the US, I paid US taxes, that's how it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #108
cjb762
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Build it. Walls work.

You want to live and work in the USA? Follow the proper channels. I had to and I didn't mind. Dealing with the DHS is tedious, but those are the rules.

I enjoyed my time in the US, I paid US taxes, that's how it works.
Well, to be fair, walls alone don't work. At best, a wall standing all by itself serves as a deterrent to some, but a speed bump to most.

A wall can be effective if it is part of a much larger complex and cohesive system, and maybe that's what trump meant when he shut down the government before he folded like a wet napkin, but I don't think so.

His wall is a bullshit campaign slogan with no actual understanding behind it - just like the rest of his campaign and presidency. He has no real national or foreign policy, and can barely put two cohesive thoughts together. But, yeah. Lets put up a couple hundred miles of steel slats. That will fix everything...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #109
tracer bullet
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...pending-debate

I thought this gave some decent insight. I don't know anything about the "rollcall", sorry if it slants far left or right.

Some of it: "Some GOP appropriators are finding it difficult to back the full $5 billion request without seeing a detailed justification. Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski said last week she supports the $1.6 billion that senators included in their bipartisan Homeland measure. She said she doesn’t know why $5 billion is needed for the fiscal year that ends next September.

“The administration asked for [$]1.6 [billion]; we gave them [$]1.6 [billion] and they upped the ante,” she said.

“It’s irresponsible what he’s doing, and it’s holding all the other bills hostage, and he hasn’t even given us the information we need on the border wall,” added New Mexico Sen. Tom Udall, Murkowski’s Democratic counterpart on the Interior-Environment Appropriations Subcommittee."

I'd like to see detail on how much is needed and what it will be spent on, and some amount of information to back up the idea that it is needed. And alternatives, if any. Like I think any normal budget request should go, like what I would do at work, heck like what I'd do with my wife at home for a project.

The article is from December last year, and I've only seen the DHS request for the 1.6 billion (which may have effectively come from Trump via Kirstjen Nielsen). If more is needed let's talk about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #110
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

dig a tunnel lol
I'm sure, your typical migrant has the means to dig a tunnel!
Appreciate 0