BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos $25-30k vehicle??

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1931
Rep
9,620
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

$25-30k vehicle??

I just wanted to get some ideas for a (preferably 4wd or awd) vehicle. Brand doesn't really matter much as long as it's reliable. We need another vehicle in the family so I've been looking around. I want at least one awd/4wd vehicle in the house for the times we go snowboarding.

Vehicles in mind right now:
Toyota Venza
Toyota matrix
used 330xi or 328xi

Not sure about Audi and their reliability so I haven't really considered the A4.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Heinzftw
Major
Heinzftw's Avatar
178
Rep
1,201
Posts

Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

iTrader: (0)

RDX
4runner
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
shift330's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
1,373
Posts

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
How about a WRX? A buddy of mine runs studded snow tires on his WRX in the winter and can plow his way through anything including snow banks
__________________

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Nutballa
Captain
Nutballa's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
840
Posts

Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, Texas+ San Antonio

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Nutballa Send a message via Yahoo to Nutballa
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift330 View Post
How about a WRX? A buddy of mine runs studded snow tires on his WRX in the winter and can plow his way through anything including snow banks
+1 WRX or Subaru brand in general
__________________
BMW FTW!

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.


Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
shift330's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
1,373
Posts

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
+1 WRX or Subaru brand in general
Yeah, actually forgot about the outback, that's probably even better for loading all the gear and pretty sure sits higher up
__________________

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1931
Rep
9,620
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Hmm I kinda forgot about Subaru but will look into it. The new Legacy looks like a good car.

The RDX is nice and was one of my considerations. However, it has horrible MPG.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
Artmasterx
Captain
Artmasterx's Avatar
32
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [5.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Subaru Forrester XT if you want a SUV type... the new ones look pretty standard.
__________________
Current: 2007 335i sedan
Alpine White | Sports | Premium | Cold | Comfort Access

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
36
Rep
1,758
Posts

Drives: Turbo Festiva
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I just wanted to get some ideas for a (preferably 4wd or awd) vehicle. Brand doesn't really matter much as long as it's reliable. We need another vehicle in the family so I've been looking around. I want at least one awd/4wd vehicle in the house for the times we go snowboarding.

Vehicles in mind right now:
Toyota Venza
Toyota matrix
used 330xi or 328xi

Not sure about Audi and their reliability so I haven't really considered the A4.
Ok...people are saying WRX etc but honestly from the tone of your post it sounds like your parents are looking for a car and you will be using it...In that case you cant consider WRX etc.
__________________
Originally Posted by corneredbeast
An engine from a Z06 Corvette. A differential from a Vespa. Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #9
b0bab0i
Major
21
Rep
1,038
Posts

Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Subaru outback or Subaru WRX Wagon.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
BMW_TT
Colonel
142
Rep
2,549
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to BMW_TT Send a message via MSN to BMW_TT Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_TT
New Outback is pretty nice
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
M3_WC
Brigadier General
870
Rep
3,524
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Use to drive my Audi A4 Quattro to Tahoe and Mammoth all the time. Couldn't have been happier with the way it performed. More reliable than my current BMW, only went to dealer for maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
SteveMD
Colonel
SteveMD's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
2,474
Posts

Drives: '12 X5 50i, '15 GTI w/PP, LP
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Raventown!

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2015 VW GTI  [0.00]
2012 X5 50i  [0.00]
Get a slightly used VW R32.
__________________
2006 E90 330i (retired)
2009 E90 335i (retired)
2012 E70 X5 50i M Sport, JB Stage 1, 4.6 secs 0-60.
2015 VW GTI LP PP
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
Nikolas
Colonel
300
Rep
2,565
Posts

Drives: 996 TT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sierra Mountains

iTrader: (0)

A bit more $$, but really fun!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
jopa489
Major General
United_States
115
Rep
6,579
Posts

Drives: AW F30 340xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (9)

If you're considering small SUVish vehicles, you should look at the RAV4 too. I have one for a company car (2010 V6 Sport) and it's pretty nice for what it is. After spending some seat time (2 weeks) in a Forester XT while on vacation, the RAV is definitely the better vehicle. The XT was slow and rattled like a tin can with only 7k miles on it. Really made be appreciate the RAV4, never mind the E90.

If you're looking at the RAV, get the V6 because the 4-cyl is anemic (we have a few of these for work too) but the 270HP V6 is nice. Sport package adds nicer wheels, stiffer suspension and interior upgrades, or you could go with the Limited for leather, nav, etc. One in your price range could be pretty much loaded. Seats fold flat easily for lots of cargo room, and the side-hinged door makes loading wide objects easy.

If you want something a little bigger, try one of the new Highlanders.
__________________
F30 340 // Alpine
G01 X3 // Phytonic
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring
Past: F25 X3, i01 i3, F30 335i, E90 328xi
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
111
Rep
6,812
Posts

Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

AWD, $25-$30k, there's no doubt in my mind.... WRX without a bit of doubt.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #16
Yogi335
Private
5
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

If you want performance...

Jeep SRT8 (Im Biased)
Trailblazer SS AWD
Infiniti FX35/45
Evo
WRX/Saab 92x
STI
Forester XT
A4/S4
G37x
G35x
Mazdaspeed6 (a little older)
R32
Charger R/T with AWD

If you dont care about performance...the skies the limit there are a ton of awd models out there.
__________________
2010 BSM/Saddle E90 335i (M Sport +more)
2006 Vette Z06 (Shifter, Thats it and thats all man)
2001 Honda CBR600F4i
Past Cars: 03 Stg 2 WRX, 05 Stg 2 92x, 06 IS350, 86 Vette, 05 Vette, 07 Jeep SRT8, 10 Camaro SS
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1931
Rep
9,620
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Ok...people are saying WRX etc but honestly from the tone of your post it sounds like your parents are looking for a car and you will be using it...In that case you cant consider WRX etc.
Nah. It's for a sibling that's just started college. It's just more convenient with another vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1931
Rep
9,620
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
If you're considering small SUVish vehicles, you should look at the RAV4 too. I have one for a company car (2010 V6 Sport) and it's pretty nice for what it is. After spending some seat time (2 weeks) in a Forester XT while on vacation, the RAV is definitely the better vehicle. The XT was slow and rattled like a tin can with only 7k miles on it. Really made be appreciate the RAV4, never mind the E90.

If you're looking at the RAV, get the V6 because the 4-cyl is anemic (we have a few of these for work too) but the 270HP V6 is nice. Sport package adds nicer wheels, stiffer suspension and interior upgrades, or you could go with the Limited for leather, nav, etc. One in your price range could be pretty much loaded. Seats fold flat easily for lots of cargo room, and the side-hinged door makes loading wide objects easy.

If you want something a little bigger, try one of the new Highlanders.
Thank you for the insights!! The Rav4 was one of the considerations. I think it's a pretty good vehicle and should fit the bill quite well. I think the highlander is nice but the new styling is a turn-off for me. It looks so bland. As of now the Rav4 is up there on the list.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #19
PeteW84
COBB'ed
PeteW84's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
2,229
Posts

Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tinley Park, IL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335i  [3.78]
The Rav4 is pretty nice. My mom just one few weeks ago, and I'm quite suprised but I love driving it.
__________________


13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
jopa489
Major General
United_States
115
Rep
6,579
Posts

Drives: AW F30 340xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (9)

No problem. If you have other questions about the RAVs drop me a PM. We've had a bunch of them MY2004-2010 for work ranging in engines/trims so I know a thing or two about 'em.
__________________
F30 340 // Alpine
G01 X3 // Phytonic
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring
Past: F25 X3, i01 i3, F30 335i, E90 328xi
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #21
graider
Colonel
graider's Avatar
31
Rep
2,406
Posts

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

personally I would take a used 07/08 mdx over all other in that price range. it's realiable, have all the tech you need, sh-awd, reasonable maintenance, good handling and safety.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #22
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
8662
Rep
13,860
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Thank you for the insights!! The Rav4 was one of the considerations. I think it's a pretty good vehicle and should fit the bill quite well. I think the highlander is nice but the new styling is a turn-off for me. It looks so bland. As of now the Rav4 is up there on the list.
A neighbor has a brand new one in a dark graphite looking paint and it get's my attention. Very nice color. Lil' suckers are pretty quick too. Toyota now has the free maint also.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST