BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Thinking of selling my NSX for Cayman S

Closed Thread

04-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #67
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I wanted Cayman, she wanted Boxster. But I have to say, the soft top isn’t so much of a compromise. It’s pretty quiet with top up, and opening and closing is very quick. It’s so convenient I find myself using it more than I thought. With my Stingray, the targa requires more planning and you better know it’s not going to rain if you take the top off lol.
Yeah the newer boxters are nice, I wouldn't kick one out of bed, but I've never really been into verts... the salesman was telling me about one of his clients who has everything from 488 to GT3 and he told him his Boxter is his funnest car to drive in his whole collection

But I've got my heart set on one of these beauties

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #68
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Yeah the newer boxters are nice, I wouldn't kick one out of bed, but I've never really been into verts... the salesman was telling me about one of his clients who has everything from 488 to GT3 and he told him his Boxter is his funnest car to drive in his whole collection

But I've got my heart set on one of these beauties

Yep, love those Carrera wheels. I think they look great on the 981/718. I made sure ours had them.

I toy with exchanging my Stingray for a Cayman GTS but think I’d feel silly owning two very similar cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #69
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Lol, i can tell that OP is gonna make the switch.

It’s not what i would do, and again - i’m a former Cayman S, now GT4 owner. But it’s your money and your garage. This car hobby is all about following your heart anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #70
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yep, love those Carrera wheels. I think they look great on the 981/718. I made sure ours had them.

I toy with exchanging my Stingray for a Cayman GTS but think I’d feel silly owning two very similar cars.

What year is the stingray?

Pics?

I don’t think it would be weird, you could have his and hers

You should look into the CPO 981 market...the NA v6 sounds excellent especially with the sports exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #71
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Lol, i can tell that OP is gonna make the switch.

It’s not what i would do, and again - i’m a former Cayman S, now GT4 owner. But it’s your money and your garage. This car hobby is all about following your heart anyway.

Haha... I know ...once I start obsessing about a car I usually end up getting one.

Just trying to figure out how to keep the NSX at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #72
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What year is the stingray?

Pics?

I don’t think it would be weird, you could have his and hers

You should look into the CPO 981 market...the NA v6 sounds excellent especially with the sports exhaust
2017 2LT with NPP.

Appreciate 1
SoCal_NSX2399.50
      05-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #73
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I haven't driven an NSX, but I did own a 987.2 Cayman S and loved it. They are quick cars, especially with the PDK gearbox, headers, and a tune. The NA flat 6 screams at high rpm, and the whole experience is like driving a Ferrari 458 that's been turned down by 30%. Few cars can satisfy in the same way. I only sold mine because I was leaving the country and couldn't take it with me.

There are three types of Cayman owners -

1. Those that admittedly couldn't afford a 911

2. Those that couldn't afford a 911 but pretend like they believe the Cayman is a superior car... and get ultra defensive about it

3. Those that truly get it, and understand why the Cayman is so special

IMHO, the Cayman is the perfect car for enthusiasts that fall into category #3. I daily drove mine 3 hours per day, including stretches of back roads in the desert with no real traffic laws. The Cayman would have been equally happy on a race track with minimal additional prep (though mods do improve it further). The two trunks were awesome, and maintenance was very reasonable.

Caymans will continue to depreciate because they are the entry Porsche. People buy them and can't afford to maintain them, unlike the customers with the means to purchase a 911. Enthusiasts see them as second to the 911 ("if the 911 is also a Porsche sports car, why buy the Cayman unless you can't afford the 911?"). The general public can't tell the difference and only see a Porsche.

The #1 rule of collectability is people want what they can't have. If Porsche continues to downsize and go turbo-only, the Cayman may appreciate in 20 years as clean examples get harder to find. I don't see them doing anything crazy like the air-cooled cars, but they will probably fare better than the 944's being mid-engined with a flat 6. Expect to lose $10k-15k over 4-5 years and 20k miles.

If you were looking for an all-around single car, I'd say go for the Cayman and never look back. But as a second or third car, the choice gets more difficult.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #74
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think you also need to ask yourself what you want in your next car if you swap? Obviously, technology has changed since your NSX was built. With the Cayman, you aren’t losing anything on the interior compared to the bigger brother 911. They share much of their interiors across the Porsche line. Do you want a bare bones sports car or more like a GT. If you want to stick with mid engine, a base Cayman is your answer, but if you want something more luxurious, you can still option up. It can get pricy though.

But if you’re willing to go front engined, the Corvette really doesn’t give anything up. You’re getting 911s like performance at the price of a Cayman. And maintenance is much less expensive. The 6.2L sounds monstrous. There’s gobs of grip. But the C8 on the horizon means it may be worth waiting. The C7 discounts are compelling though. I found a Grand Sport 2LT stickering for $76k selling for $59k. In comparison $59k gets you a 718 with no options. The fit and finish is close to Porsche, they have closed the gap significantly. Porsche is still tighter overall, hence the price difference. If the Porsche is a 10, the Corvette is a 9.3.

The Corvette does drive a little differently but the engine is pushed back and low in the car to mitigate handling issues. I say it’s worth checking out. You could almost say it’s mid engined, just not with the engine behind the driver. The engine is mostly behind the front wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #75
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I'd do a Boxster over a 911 vert all day but part of my motivation for going sportscar vert is my two boys, with four seats I can hoof em in the back and watch them grin like they stole chocolate.

My 7 year old is not a car nut by any means, he's aware of them because of me but not a nut. 8 months later and he STILL talks about the ride in the back of the base Carerra he had last year. So four seats it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #76
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

I think you can't go wrong with the C7 either. That was the main car I cross-shopped with the Cayman. For the price of a Cayman GTS, you could get a Z06 (both used).

The Grand Sport would have been very tempting if they had depreciated a bit more. That car makes more sense on the street than a Z06. You end up losing more in depreciation on Vettes compared to Porsches, but the purchase price is usually lower and the maintenance costs are much cheaper.

Maybe you could get a used Z51 C7 and still keep the NSX?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #77
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Unless you're strapped for cash, selling a car that's holding value or appreciating for a car that's dime a dozen, mid-tier, depreciating makes no sense to me.

I'd rather you just pay for a storage space and hold the NSX there (maintain it in storage properly), and still follow your wants by buying that Cayman.

You'll see that 12 months in, the Cayman is not that special.

I don't own one, but I've driven the 718 GTS extensively. It's a fun quick car, but it doesn't get me a boner a more exotic car gives. It's not better than a 997.2 turbo, or a 997.1 GT3 which are better buys. I even prefer my M6 GC which turns way more heads (including my own), than a Cayman GTS. (Yes I realize the 718 is a turbo 4 and you're talking about the H-6 GTS)

Now if you're still thinking of doing the R8 6MT V10, now that thing is a raging boner all the time. I support that.

If you're serious about selling the NSX, then sell it to me. I'll do just what I said, hold it in storage and then sell it back to you at a slight profit a year later.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #78
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

OP re get a c7 crowd...if you do consider that...take one for a long drive
I went from a 2014 981S to a 2015 c7 and right back into a 2016 981S

rhe c7 never came close to the 981 for sheer driving enjoyment for a variety of reasons...I didnt appreciate this after a 10 minute test drive
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #79
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
OP re get a c7 crowd...if you do consider that...take one for a long drive
I went from a 2014 981S to a 2015 c7 and right back into a 2016 981S

rhe c7 never came close to the 981 for sheer driving enjoyment for a variety of reasons...I didnt appreciate this after a 10 minute test drive
Yeah, I'm not really a Vette guy, but I do know the c7 is a ass kicking car, youtube test rave about the grand sport and it a really good bang for your buck..they're just too common around here, there's like 20 of them on the lot right now at the local chevy dealership. I know porsches are also pretty common in So Cal too, just not quite half as bad as the Vettes though.

There are definitely lots of pros and cons in my decision that I've got to figure out.. I really appreciate all the feedback

I posted this same subject on the Rennlist Cayman forums and was quite surprised how many people told me to keep the NsX. It's about 70/30 right now in favor of keeping the NSX

Really starting to dig this spec right here

The x73 suspension with the 20" Carrera wheels FTW
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #80
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Try to get the PSE, unless you’re planning on getting an aftermarket exhaust
Appreciate 1
c1pher4671.50
      05-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #81
aftercompletion
Break My Window
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Wait till you can afford the R8. The caymans you're looking at are nothing special; I see more than one every day. The porsche community won't even respect you since you won't be driving a classic, a 911, or a GT. Your NSX and the R8 are true brand halo cars that in 2019 are events when you see one on the street.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #82
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Sounds like the only real reason to keep the nsx is for investment purposes. Your heart seems to be with the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #83
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=SoCal_NSX;24725799]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Haha... I know ...once I start obsessing about a car I usually end up getting one.
Same here. Obsessed over a '19 911 T, bought it two months ago, and three days afterwards realized that it didn't do a thing for me.

Buh-bye Porsche, along with a heap of my money. Too bad some of us need to learn car lessons the hard way.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #84
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=stevenvillatoro;24741508]
Quote:
Same here. Obsessed over a '19 911 T, bought it two months ago, and three days afterwards realized that it didn't do a thing for me.

Buh-bye Porsche, along with a heap of my money. Too bad some of us need to learn car lessons the hard way.
What was it you didn’t like?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:40 PM   #85
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
What was it you didn't like?
The car is amazing... glorious... stunning. I have NO criticism of the car, for what it is. But I misjudged what I wanted from a car. Rather than wanting a serious beast of a machine, I learned that (for me) the novelty of its high performance became 'ordinary' within a few days, and then failed to entertain me. The pursuit of owning a modern Porsche was more intriguing than the reality of actually owning one. It was too serious of a car, too big (again, for me), not light and playful. It stuck out when I wanted to blend in. And yet, it does what it does to near-perfection. We just weren't a match. I bought a '19 MX-5 Miata soft top last week, and put the Porsche up for sale. We won't be reconciling. (The new Miata is just what the doctor ordered.) If I hadn't given up my M240i for the Porsche folly, I'd still be thrilled with the excellent BMW. That's why I caution the OP to think and rethink before making an irreversible decision. Sometimes it's hard to imagine the reality of a new vehicle despite a good test drive, research, etc. Cars like Porsche models are phenomenal on paper, but that's no guarantee of an enduringly satisfying 'match'. It's like the guy who bags the trophy wife and then realizes that there's a huge gap between fantasy versus the baggage of everyday reality. I laugh at myself now for thinking that a 911 T would make my Trader Joe's and Costco runs so special. The new Miata makes those same errands an absolutely silly hoot, however, for a quarter of the price of the Porsche. And miraculously, you can open the Miata hood and actually see an engine. Try that party trick on a 911!
Attached Images

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4463.00
MR_M2519.00
      05-04-2019, 01:28 AM   #86
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
The car is amazing... glorious... stunning. I have NO criticism of the car, for what it is. But I misjudged what I wanted from a car. Rather than wanting a serious beast of a machine, I learned that (for me) the novelty of its high performance became 'ordinary' within a few days, and then failed to entertain me. The pursuit of owning a modern Porsche was more intriguing than the reality of actually owning one. It was too serious of a car, too big (again, for me), not light and playful. It stuck out when I wanted to blend in. And yet, it does what it does to near-perfection. We just weren't a match. I bought a '19 MX-5 Miata soft top last week, and put the Porsche up for sale. We won't be reconciling. (The new Miata is just what the doctor ordered.) If I hadn't given up my M240i for the Porsche folly, I'd still be thrilled with the excellent BMW. That's why I caution the OP to think and rethink before making an irreversible decision. Sometimes it's hard to imagine the reality of a new vehicle despite a good test drive, research, etc. Cars like Porsche models are phenomenal on paper, but that's no guarantee of an enduringly satisfying 'match'. It's like the guy who bags the trophy wife and then realizes that there's a huge gap between fantasy versus the baggage of everyday reality. I laugh at myself now for thinking that a 911 T would make my Trader Joe's and Costco runs so special. The new Miata makes those same errands an absolutely silly hoot, however, for a quarter of the price of the Porsche. And miraculously, you can open the Miata hood and actually see an engine. Try that party trick on a 911!
You should have tried the 981

I think what’s so appealing to me about the Cayman is that is really is like a modern day 1991-94 NSX. Light and nimble with a naturally aspirated V6 right behind your ears.

The reviews are all 5 star and it’s got a reputation as being one of the best pure sports cars out there...the 911 has become the overweight older sister of the younger hotter Cayman with all the parts in the right place.

That being said.... I hear a lot of what you’re saying.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 07:44 AM   #87
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

OP if you can swing it financially, why not pick up a cayman before selling your nsx and drive it around for a while? If you fall in love you can then sell the nsx or if you then realize it's not the car for you then get rid of the cayman.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #88
ec90
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
I think part of it involve the sense of freedom in a (I use this hesitantly) "cheaper" car. Not that I'd want to sling around a $100 beater around corners or enjoy it for daily life. Nice choice on the Miata, the RF Hardtop is gorgeous as well as the soft. What drew you to it over the likes of a 124 Spider? I would say a GT86/BRZ comparison as well, but if you wanted an open top then that leaves those out.
'15 Subaru BRZ (Sold)
'12 Camaro (Sold)
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread