E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > ZPC and clear coat

12-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

ZPC and clear coat

Will the use of ZPC wear out the clear coat of the car?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Will the use of ZPC wear out the clear coat of the car?

Thank you
Z-PC (as well as any other polish that corrects imperfections) utilizes abrasives in the product which are designed to even out the dips and valleys (swirls and scratches) in your clear coat. Is this something you have to be concerned about? No. The abrasives are so mild that you would be able to polish your vehicle 4 times a year for 10 years without worrying about damaging your clear coat at all. When you get into some heavier compounds, high speed buffers and wet sanding, that's when you can quickly wear down your clear coat.

If you want to correct your paint from imperfections, you must sacrifice a tiny bit of clear coat.

Hope this helps.

George
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Ohhh... I see. Thank you so much.
I thought it would be not so "light abrasive", as it's supposed to be able to remove swirl marks. Will that depend on how it's applied? For example, "by hand" will be much less abrasive than with a machine?

Sorry for this basic questions, but I am just discovering this "detailing world" and after reading so much information, I get confused.

Thank you once again for the help and tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Ohhh... I see. Thank you so much.
I thought it would be not so "light abrasive", as it's supposed to be able to remove swirl marks. Will that depend on how it's applied? For example, "by hand" will be much less abrasive than with a machine?

Sorry for this basic questions, but I am just discovering this "detailing world" and after reading so much information, I get confused.

Thank you once again for the help and tips.
It all depends. I find that by machine, you get a much better finish, as it is much easier to properly break down the polish. By hand you have to apply constant pressure while working the product into the paint. The first few panels usually go fine, but by the end, it's tough to maintain the same amount of pressure and elbow grease as you did the first panel.

Towards the end, or in general, if you aren't properly breaking down the polishes, the abrasives can leave behind some (micro-)marring because you are pushing those larger abrasives into your clear coat.

I find that with a quality buffer, it is much easier to maintain consistent quality results. A new buffer that is changing the way detailers safely correct imperfections is the Flex XC3401VRG. The Flex has more power than other random orbitals and has a higher operating speed. The Porter Cable 7424 is considered the standard in the industry, but will take more time to break down polishes.

Unfortunately Flex buffers are hard to come by as Flex North America is awaiting more units from Germany.

If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0