E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Wing Mirror Issues

12-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
G13NN A
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport Titaniun Silver

Wing Mirror Issues

Hi

I recently had my o\s wing mirror broken on my 2009 e92 320d msport, the mirror is non folding but heated, after a price from the stealer i searched ebay and found a pair exactly the same apart from they are not heated. So I purchased them they arrived and now theyre fitted to the car, all went well till i noticed the plug was a different colour (black instead of white) and contained only the three wires for adjustment and obviously not the two wires for heating but as they were in the same places in the plug i carried on an connected them (both mirrors so they matched). now time to try them and nothing happened the switches still light up just wont move either mirror.... Ive checked the fuse assuming ive got the right one (9 from memory) and it looks ok, is this the right fuse?.. any ideas's ? my next port of call is to re connect the original mirrors and see if they still work and maybe consider swapping the insides into the new ones which looks a right task...

Cheers in advance
Glenn
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

I think there are 2 different wing mirror connection types. One 5pin and one 3pin. Do you have memory seats? Can you take some photos.

What's the part numbers for your new and old mirrors...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
G13NN A
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah it does look like there are at least two types of conection:

White - 5pin, 3pins for the actuator and 2pins for the heating.
Black - 3pin, 3pins just for the actuator.

Mine were originally the white 5 pin plug but the new ones have the black 3pin plug, I just assumed they would be interchangable but the heating just wouldnt work guess i was wrong.
Regarding the seats, no mine dont have the memory option.

Worst case if my original actuators still work i was debating swapping then and the wiring into the new mirrors or at least the o\s one anyway.

Ill try and get some pics \ part numbers over the weekend

Cheers Glenn
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Hmm it may be a case of changing your coding options to tell the Vehicle Order you no longer have heated mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
bishbosh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
It sounds like the mirrors you bought are probably electric folding ones. They only use 3 wires; power, data and ground. There will most likely be a controller on the LIN bus inside the mirror, which controls functions such as folding, heating, mirror adjustment. As the 5 pin mirrors are wired directly to the footwell module and the LIN bus isn't activated, this explains why you cannot move the mirror glass on the new mirrors.

Instead of swapping the insides (personally I think is too hard a task), can you not just swap over the mirror glass? I think it should prise off.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
G13NN A
United Kingdom
Rep

Is there any way of me visually checking if they are folding ? I would have just swapped the glass and rear cap but there is a bit to much damage to the original mirror.

If they do turn out to be folding i guess i could just buy the correct switches and get them coded if its that straight forward.

Edit: Ive just been out and removed the rear cover from the o\s mirror and it appears there is a black round thing with lots of wires on the back of the metal frame I'm guessing this is the controller ? and maybe they are electric folding ?

Cheers Glenn

Last edited by G13NN A; 12-05-2014 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

bishbosh is probably correct. This is what I suspected hence asking for the part numbers to be sure. When you find the part number just enter it on bmwfans.info and it'll tell you exactly what you've got.

You may have a problem if you have no LIN bus on the X14260 connector from FRM.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #8
G13NN A
United Kingdom
Rep

The code on the back of the controller is : bmw 6972542
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
G13NN A
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick update for every one I decided to atempt swapping the insides from my old mirror into the new one it turned out to be pretty simple just a little bit fiddly but the end result was good an my mirrors are all working again ....

Thanks again to everyone for there input

Cheers Glenn
Appreciate 0