E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Well my car just scared the hell out of me!

04-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Well my car just scared the hell out of me!

Had been driving about happily. Went to Morrisons to buy some shopping. Came out and noticed the CIC Idrive screen just go orange!!? Where the BMW logo should have come up.

Thought what the f*#k? Turned off the car and back on again. Same thing. Bright orange background on the idrive. Took out the keys and waited 30 secs for the car to semi close down. Keys back in same thing!

I took a quick look under the bonnet. Not knowing what to even look for. A look in the boot to check the battery was ok. Nothing obvious.

So I tried swapping music and that seemed ok and working. All about the car electrics wise was fine. Lights, seat belt assist, seats etc.

So with not much choice and no way to fix anything I drove home. The screen just went black. Idrive seemed to fully turn off. Music still playing fine? Couldn't swap tracks with the centre control knob so it seemed like Idrive was dead? This was worrying!

I got home and emptied my boot as the recent meth kit install was there and I worried liquid may have leaked into the boot. Maybe shorting some wires somewhere. Nope nothing.

low res video:
View My Video

Anyway I started thinking wtf can I do, what's this going to cost? What will BMW say if they see a JB4 and meth FSB installed, regarding my warranty?

Started looking online and it was suggested that Idrives can rarely crash and that holding down the volume button for a few seconds can reboot it.

Well sweating a bit I thought there's nothing else I can do apart from maybe disconnect the battery for a while.

Turned on the car and the Idrive just kicked back into life like nothing had happened.

What a f'kin relief! I can only guess it crashed some how. It's never happened in the 13 months I've had the car.

Anyone else had this?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
russjonesr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Had been driving about happily. Went to Morrisons to buy some shopping. Came out and noticed the CIC Idrive screen just go orange!!? Where the BMW logo should have come up.

Thought what the f*#k? Turned off the car and back on again. Same thing. Bright orange background on the idrive. Took out the keys and waited 30 secs for the car to semi close down. Keys back in same thing!

I took a quick look under the bonnet. Not knowing what to even look for. A look in the boot to check the battery was ok. Nothing obvious.

So I tried swapping music and that seemed ok and working. All about the car electrics wise was fine. Lights, seat belt assist, seats etc.

So with not much choice and no way to fix anything I drove home. The screen just went black. Idrive seemed to fully turn off. Music still playing fine? Couldn't swap tracks with the centre control knob so it seemed like Idrive was dead? This was worrying!

I got home and emptied my boot as the recent meth kit install was there and I worried liquid may have leaked into the boot. Maybe shorting some wires somewhere. Nope nothing.

low res video:
View My Video

Anyway I started thinking wtf can I do, what's this going to cost? What will BMW say if they see a JB4 and meth FSB installed, regarding my warranty?

Started looking online and it was suggested that Idrives can rarely crash and that holding down the volume button for a few seconds can reboot it.

Well sweating a bit I thought there's nothing else I can do apart from maybe disconnect the battery for a while.

Turned on the car and the Idrive just kicked back into life like nothing had happened.

What a f'kin relief! I can only guess it crashed some how. It's never happened in the 13 months I've had the car.

Anyone else had this?
Never seen it...but a quick google search tells me you are not the first!
Jb4 with Trebila BEF,vargas stage 2+ turbos, vrsf dp's, vrsf cp with tial bov, vrfs 7" fmic, EOS PI with BMS PI controller, RB Inlets and Outlets, bms meth kit, BMS DCI, miltek cat back, bms occ,3.5 tmap, ngk 5992 plugs, HSD coilovers, M3 rear subframe, diff, drive shafts , suspension and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Yes the first thread I found online about this also started working again and mine just kicked back into life before I read any more.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

idrive is simple personal computer, hardened for automotive use
every computer will have some glitches after 5 years of use, same with idrive