E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Combox Reinstall Coding

12-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Combox Reinstall Coding

Long story short I fried my old one with water. Got a used one and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on how to program it or should I just take it to the dealer/inde. I have the computer an cables necessary but need some help on the tools.
      12-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

You only need a 6mm socket I believe.

If the combox is from factory with Telematics and you still would like to retain those functions; go to the dealer. Well seeing you already bought a replacement just code to your car.
      12-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
If you already have Combox coded, there really isn't any further coding to do when reinstalling another one.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
If you already have Combox coded, there really isn't any further coding to do when reinstalling another one.
Yeah I realized that once I plugged it in lol. The only thing not working is the AUX and USB so either I got a dud port or the connector side inside the car is damaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo View Post
Yeah I realized that once I plugged it in lol. The only thing not working is the AUX and USB so either I got a dud port or the connector side inside the car is damaged.
You could try doing a reset on your iDrive then see if USB shows up. Hold power for 20secs

If not you may just have to code it your car's vo. I say this because not all vehicles uses the same configuration with a combox.
      12-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
You could try doing a reset on your iDrive then see if USB shows up. Hold power for 20secs

If not you may just have to code it your car's vo. I say this because not all vehicles uses the same configuration with a combox.
I gave it a whirl and still the same after reset. The unit came from a 2011 x5 with the same build year as my old one but only a month older if that makes a difference. What I see is USB you can highlight but can't select because no connection. As for AUX I can selected it but volume is locked to zero. Well looking at the coding I see 6FL coded to CAS, FRM and NFRM from NCS expert now am I missing anything else for it? I assume if 6FL is there so are the other ones I presume.

Any suggestions? I'm happy my Bluetooth is alive at least but annoy the aux and usb is dead. I can't blame the seller I think because I can't tell if it's software or hardware.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I gave it a whirl and still the same after reset. The unit came from a 2011 x5 with the same build year as my old one but only a month older if that makes a difference. What I see is USB you can highlight but can't select because no connection. As for AUX I can selected it but volume is locked to zero. Well looking at the coding I see 6FL coded to CAS, FRM and NFRM from NCS expert now am I missing anything else for it? I assume if 6FL is there so are the other ones I presume.

Any suggestions? I'm happy my Bluetooth is alive at least but annoy the aux and usb is dead. I can't blame the seller I think because I can't tell if it's software or hardware.
Your VO should contain all necessary options since there was a combox installed. The replacement still holds the coding of the donor car so you'll need to code it your car. I assume you are familiar with coding so just load up expert profile and code the CMEDIA module. The should give default factory coding.
      12-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Your VO should contain all necessary options since there was a combox installed. The replacement still holds the coding of the donor car so you'll need to code it your car. I assume you are familiar with coding so just load up expert profile and code the CMEDIA module. The should give default factory coding.
Makes sense as to why most of the function still work, I.E. Assist/Bluetooth and I'll give a reset tomorrow when I have a little more time, would I need to assign my VIN to the donor? I apologize in advance if I have anymore questions. I actually picked up NCS and learned it yesterday I'm still taking my time so I don't accidentally code something. I've had this cable for like 3 years and just now plugged it up haha.

So NCS -> expert -> usual stuff in between -> CMEDIA -> sg code I presume? If so I'll report back tomorrow thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense as to why most of the function still work, I.E. Assist/Bluetooth and I'll give a reset tomorrow when I have a little more time, would I need to assign my VIN to the donor? I apologize in advance if I have anymore questions. I actually picked up NCS and learned it yesterday I'm still taking my time so I don't accidentally code something. I've had this cable for like 3 years and just now plugged it up haha.

So NCS -> expert -> usual stuff in between -> CMEDIA -> sg code I presume? If so I'll report back tomorrow thanks for the tips.
Hey no problem.

Regarding writing the VN, you really don't have to but you can just being safe should you need to go to the dealer in the future.

Weird but also good that your assist functions still work though. I say save a copy of combox trace file before you code. just in case you need to look at it afterwards.

lol Yes to the Usual Stuff and in between. Take a stab at coding the digital speedo to get a feel of it.
      12-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey no problem.

Regarding writing the VN, you really don't have to but you can just being safe should you need to go to the dealer in the future.

Weird but also good that your assist functions still work though. I say save a copy of combox trace file before you code. just in case you need to look at it afterwards.

lol Yes to the Usual Stuff and in between. Take a stab at coding the digital speedo to get a feel of it.
Getting the hang of this now I got AUX enable somehow. Looks like a reset worked now I gotta figure out how to enable USB Audio there are a few codes set to not active I'm jus worried as to which to turn on to enable communication lol. Anyone got pointers?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo
Quote:
Hey no problem.

Getting the hang of this now I got AUX enable somehow. Looks like a reset worked now I gotta figure out how to enable USB Audio there are a few codes set to not active I'm jus worried as to which to turn on to enable communication lol. Anyone got pointers?
Post the trace file let's all have a look..