E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Swirl marks from Klasse SG

03-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Swirl marks from Klasse SG

ok, so I washed, clayed, applied Klasse AIO and then a coat of Klasse SG this past Sunday. The car looked shiny, and had a 'wet' look then and even the next day (which was not in direct sunlight).

However, this morning, the Sun was falling on the hood and omg.. I could see swirl marks on the hood. Didn't appear that the swirls were all over the car (or maybe I didn't want to know)...

This was the first time that I used clay... could I have damaged the clear coat? I did try and use a lot of the QD liquid, infact the bottle that came with the mothers clay kit is over.

In the past I avoided Klasse SG since I used to let it dry, but this time I followed the instructions in the Detailing sticky and applied it like AIO (damp cloth and don't let it dry), so it appeared to come off easy.

How do I get rid of them nasty swirls on the hood? Wash, AIO and then apply SG again?

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
To remove it permanently, you'll have to polish!

To hide it, try the glaze again. I also find that waxes hide swirls pretty well if you're not using it as a topper. Once a layer of sealant goes on, the wax will no longer hide swirls.

The few sealants I've tried didn't hide swirls too well (not meant to from what I understand).

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
KyleY911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW 325i

I'm actually in a similar situation as i too used the mothers clay bar kit. I used some meguiars wax afterwards and it looked great but then at night time under a street lamp swirl marks were everywhere. I have a TiAg so you can't even tell in the day time but under a light it looks to be getting pretty bad. Maybe it was the mothers clay bar? I never noticed swirlmarks on my car until after i used it. but then again it could just be chance that i notice it afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ver View Post
ok, so I washed, clayed, applied Klasse AIO and then a coat of Klasse SG this past Sunday. The car looked shiny, and had a 'wet' look then and even the next day (which was not in direct sunlight).

However, this morning, the Sun was falling on the hood and omg.. I could see swirl marks on the hood. Didn't appear that the swirls were all over the car (or maybe I didn't want to know)...

This was the first time that I used clay... could I have damaged the clear coat? I did try and use a lot of the QD liquid, infact the bottle that came with the mothers clay kit is over.
In the past I avoided Klasse SG since I used to let it dry, but this time I followed the instructions in the Detailing sticky and applied it like AIO (damp cloth and don't let it dry), so it appeared to come off easy.

How do I get rid of them nasty swirls on the hood? Wash, AIO and then apply SG again?
Refer to my post below about claying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleY911 View Post
I'm actually in a similar situation as i too used the mothers clay bar kit. I used some meguiars wax afterwards and it looked great but then at night time under a street lamp swirl marks were everywhere. I have a TiAg so you can't even tell in the day time but under a light it looks to be getting pretty bad. Maybe it was the mothers clay bar? I never noticed swirlmarks on my car until after i used it. but then again it could just be chance that i notice it afterwards?

Make Yourself Feel Better
Claying is a tedious process and forces you to pay attention to every little detail of your car. This new attention to detail will continue after claying and may lead you to notice things you have not before.

The Truth
Claying gets rid of paint contamination and etc but particles may get stuck in the claybar--if you don't often brush off your claybar and re-knead...those bigger particles that are stuck in the claybar will end up swirling/scratching your clear coat as you continue to clay.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Since I've had the swirl issue with SG in the past, I believe that had I not SG'ed the car, there wouldn't have been any swirl marks.... but now how do I get rid of 'em?

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Klasse AIO is not a polish, its a cleaner only. It will not do a thing to the swirl marks accept maybe make them more visible due to it cleaning the paint, same with SG, it will only make them show up more if they are already there.

You need to polish the paint, then AIO (might not be needed but I like this step), then seal it with SG. Im sure the experts can chime in but do some searching and depending on how bad the swirls are, polish with the Menzerna line of polishes -menzerna PO106FF

Again the AIO and SG are only clearing up the top layer of clear coat making the deaper swirls marks visible.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

As others have mentioned, you'd need to polish to remove swirl marks. But one thing no one mentioned was to double check that it wasn't just excess product of the Klasse SG. SG is a PITA to remove and even with knowledge of how difficult it is to work with, you can still leave behind excess product (even I did last I used it). Check by spraying some quick detailer or you can test a spot by reapplying Klasse AIO as that would remove excess product. If the AIO removes the "swirls" then you know it's excess product since AIO isn't an abrasive polish.

If you are looking for a polish recommendation, I'd go with Menzerna PO106FF as others have mentioned.

George
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshichanX View Post
Claying gets rid of paint contamination and etc but particles may get stuck in the claybar--if you don't often brush off your claybar and re-knead...those bigger particles that are stuck in the claybar will end up swirling/scratching your clear coat as you continue to clay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
But one thing no one mentioned was to double check that it wasn't just excess product of the Klasse SG.
+1 on the above. If it isn't just dried product that you haven't removed, you probably slightly marred the paint from being less than careful (or pushing too hard) with the clay. I've done the same thing before. It should polish out easily.