BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

i8 Active Sound

I've read various articles about the BMW active sound system where engine noise is pumped into the cabin. However, many of the articles had different explanations as to what you are actually hearing. Is it totally synthesized, is it simply an amplification of the real engine sound, or is it some combination of the two? Does anyone know the definitive answer to this for the i8 active sound system? Regardless of how it works, most people tend to agree it sounds awesome
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I've read various articles about the BMW active sound system where engine noise is pumped into the cabin. However, many of the articles had different explanations as to what you are actually hearing. Is it totally synthesized, is it simply an amplification of the real engine sound, or is it some combination of the two? Does anyone know the definitive answer to this for the i8 active sound system? Regardless of how it works, most people tend to agree it sounds awesome
On a Pure Impulse Leipzig factory visit in 2016, the engineers stated that it is the actual engine sound and that it is only amplified when in Sports mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
If it's like all the other ASD systems in every other BMW, it's fully artificial. Meaning that it doesn't take any real time sound from your engine of exhaust and plays it through the speaker. It's all generated by the system. Whether or not the sound is sourced from a pre-recorded i8 engine is another discussion. It is, however, unique to the i8. The M3/4 has a unique sound profile as does every other BMW with ASD. I've heard the i8 is is more pleasing since it actually adds to the experience.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0