F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Baby Seats
GetBMWParts

04-19-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Baby Seats

So the wife and I are expecting our first child in October, exciting times!

Entered the minefield of "travel systems" looking at the baby seat portion, seems to make sense to buy a longer lasting combi seat, however it looks like it won't be portable like a dedicated infant seat.

Anyone with any experience and suggestions welcome, I am aware this could be an expensive mistake to ask you lot, I imagine people have modded their child seats...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
So the wife and I are expecting our first child in October, exciting times!

Entered the minefield of "travel systems" looking at the baby seat portion, seems to make sense to buy a longer lasting combi seat, however it looks like it won't be portable like a dedicated infant seat.

Anyone with any experience and suggestions welcome, I am aware this could be an expensive mistake to ask you lot, I imagine people have modded their child seats...
Congratulations!!!

You definitely want a dedicated group 0 baby seat for the first year. You want to be able to lift them in and out in it without removing them if asleep. Especially handy if going to cafes or restaurants where they can stay in it for a little snooze. Sometimes you don't want a pram.

Most go for isofix, but we've always done it with just the seat belts. Both ways have their pros and cons when you read up about it and if fitted properly no one way is safer than the other. So, that's just personal preference.

For my car I went for this Mothercare one as it's a little shorter than most and I'm tall and needed every centimetre behind me. My other son is 6, so likes the space he's always had behind the passenger seat.

Any of the car seats in Mothercare will do the job, just go and have a look. Our other one is a maxi cosi and it is no better or worse than the Mothercare one.
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

We have a one year old and are happy with our system:

Maxicosi 2way Fix base
Maxicosi pebble plus baby carrier

Swapping the base between cars is a bit of a pain so we added a second base after a few months

We now also have a maxicosi pearl 2way Seat for her, but she still fits in the pebble.

With a set of adaptors (£30) the pebble seat drops straight onto our buggaboo cameleon buggy.

All of this kit is excellent and i would recommend all of it. All of it was bought after reading recommendations, including from the gents on here

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

Maxicosi 2way Fix base

Swapping the base between cars is a bit of a pain so we added a second base after a few months

We now also have a maxicosi pearl 2way Seat for her, but she still fits in the pebble.

With a set of adaptors (£30) the pebble seat drops straight onto our buggaboo cameleon buggy.

All of this kit is excellent and i would recommend all of it. All of it was bought after reading recommendations, including from the gents on here
Definitely go for the pram adaptors. Again, you don't always want to wake them up, or transfer them to the proper pram for a short trip. We have the bugaboo cameleon as well, which is the BMW of buggies. Steers really nice! But expensive, about a thousand pounds all in.

My wife found an old tradition, that the mothers mother buys the buggy, so ours didn't cost us anything!
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Ps. Congratulations! Make the most of this summer, your life is going to change in a great way...it's really going to change

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Congratulations. Were in a similar position, our first is due in June.

We recently bought the Nuna Mixx travel system https://www.mothercare.com/prams-and...e/psKB307.html
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Thanks for all the recommendations and advice so far. Thanks for the congrats to, very excited, going to play as much golf as poss this summer, feel like that might be it! I'm not complaining though!

I think we are going to buy what we can from a local shop, try to support local business where possible, definitely seems like the infant seat is the way forward. Will probably go for seatbelt securing at first and then get a twisting isofix base in the future as not planning on travelling much with in the first 6-12 months.

For those interested we are looking at this system, the wife likes it and it has suspension which makes it feel more like a manly purchase!

https://www.venicci.co.uk/product/soft-denim-sky/
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Congratulations. Were in a similar position, our first is due in June.

We recently bought the Nuna Mixx travel system https://www.mothercare.com/prams-and...e/psKB307.html
Congrats to you too!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Get an isofix, its soooooo much easier. We have a cybex seat with isofix and it's great. Fits onto the pram with adaptors. Got the mamas and papas set in the sale last year.
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

We had a familyfix isofix base that stayed in the car , then a group 0 click and lock in baby carrier unit from Britax. Cannot emphasize enough how good this set up is to be able to click them in the car, click them onto a stroller and go about your business without waking them or having to get them out in the cold etc.
We went with an Oyster stroller (Babystyle) with adapters to take the Britax car seat. Absolutely brilliant set up, looked great, and the full stroller is lovely and padded and comes with a built in bug net for those evening walks and it's also UV protecting so great on that front for the summer. Didn't rate the available travel system car seat, so went with the Britax offering which was compatible with the £20 adapters.
Really nice set up and much better value than some of the other options out there. Not cheap, but not crazy prices.
https://babystyle.co.uk/

Oh and we also bought the pram unit for sleeping..
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Definitely isofix and definitely travel system so you can lift baby out in seat so he/she doesn't wake when you put him/her in pram or house.

You say you won't go out much but trust me you will, your wife will go stir crazy being stuck at home all day every day!
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Can't remember the make but we had fixed base with removable seat that fitted to the buggy. So easy and doesn't disturb them

If you are anything like we were (youngest is now 4), we were out all the time in the first year, as she basically slept all the time, so not much changed, pub curry house etc.

It was only when she couldn't fit in the seat and we had to do transfers that life style changed a bit.
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Definitely go for the pram adaptors. Again, you don't always want to wake them up, or transfer them to the proper pram for a short trip. We have the bugaboo cameleon as well, which is the BMW of buggies. Steers really nice! But expensive, about a thousand pounds all in.

My wife found an old tradition, that the mothers mother buys the buggy, so ours didn't cost us anything!
Yep, my daughter found that tradition as well - and yes they had bugaboo chameleon, with some fancy car seat with adaptors. And yes I paid....

And his second car seat - which is one that spins round which makes getting him in and out so much easier....
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

I can't comment as someone connected to the industry... I can only comment as a parent. Absolutely isofix base - if your car is hanging upside down you will want them pinned in their seat by the chassis, not relying on seat belts which we all know sometimes don't slack or tighten when we think they will. I categorically would not use a base that was attached by seat belt.

Yes it's worth having adaptors and ensuring you buy a travel system that can take whatever car seat you use. Frankly Maxi Cosi is THE standard. In terms of those travel systems... Silver Cross is one to avoid - they modern 'plastic' versions of their heritage are just that... plastic. Anything Oyster is great, as is Bugaboo.

The hidden gem in travel systems is the Joolz. Combines the aesthetics of the nicer brands, but is way, way more sturdier and will wear well. Some of the uber pretty ones look terrible after a few months - Joolz not so. And the fact it's a bit more niche means it has class without being obvious.

If you need any other advice on furniture, monitors etc, I can help. In an unofficial capacity. Ya get me?
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #15
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Anyone doing 3 car seats across in the back?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
I can't comment as someone connected to the industry... I can only comment as a parent. Absolutely isofix base - if your car is hanging upside down you will want them pinned in their seat by the chassis, not relying on seat belts which we all know sometimes don't slack or tighten when we think they will. I categorically would not use a base that was attached by seat belt.

Yes it's worth having adaptors and ensuring you buy a travel system that can take whatever car seat you use. Frankly Maxi Cosi is THE standard. In terms of those travel systems... Silver Cross is one to avoid - they modern 'plastic' versions of their heritage are just that... plastic. Anything Oyster is great, as is Bugaboo.

The hidden gem in travel systems is the Joolz. Combines the aesthetics of the nicer brands, but is way, way more sturdier and will wear well. Some of the uber pretty ones look terrible after a few months - Joolz not so. And the fact it's a bit more niche means it has class without being obvious.

If you need any other advice on furniture, monitors etc, I can help. In an unofficial capacity. Ya get me?
Think we get ya... do you work in Watford?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #17
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Think we get ya... do you work in Watford?
No. But I do some work for many who do
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #18
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations and advice so far. Thanks for the congrats to, very excited, going to play as much golf as poss this summer, feel like that might be it! I'm not complaining though!

I think we are going to buy what we can from a local shop, try to support local business where possible, definitely seems like the infant seat is the way forward. Will probably go for seatbelt securing at first and then get a twisting isofix base in the future as not planning on travelling much with in the first 6-12 months.

For those interested we are looking at this system, the wife likes it and it has suspension which makes it feel more like a manly purchase!

https://www.venicci.co.uk/product/soft-denim-sky/
Do you have split folding rear seats with the isofix connectors housed behind plastic covers? Or are your isofix connectors recessed behind the seats?

Reason I ask is we have the venicci travel system and the isofix base won't go in my F30. Unlike the maxi cosy bases, it has really chunky clips for the isofix that catch on the rear seatbelt holders and won't engage with the fixings on the car.

It fits fine in my wife's Golf (isofix visible behind plastic covers) and when I posted on here about a year ago I was told you should be ok if you have the split folding seats. Just do a test fit - I stupidly assumed isofix meant any isofix seat would be compatible with any isofix car!
      04-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #19
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

Maxicosi 2way Fix base

+ 1 on this set up! We have this for our 9 month old, 2 bases one for my wife’s Countryman and one for the 430d with the buggy adaptors.

Sometimes I use the 2way seat in the front of my 4 convertible if I have the wind deflector in place.

They pretty idiot proof and highly recommend
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #20
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Congratualtions.

We purchased a Kidde Evo Lunafix (isofix) which is a group 0 seat.

However it has a number of benefits compared to others, the main one for us was the fact that the baby can travel in the reclined position which makes for a more comfortable journey.

I think the max recommendation for an upright is 2 hours, Evo Lunafix is 6 hours in recline - not that you'd actuallty do this. But if you do travel long distances, say 2 hours, then the baby will travel in much more comfort reclined.

We also bought a "burner" seat for our holiday to Colorado when our son was 5 months and purchased a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix and the difference in quality is vast.

The Lunafix I'd say also is slightly bigger/heavier and better padded and will last you longer.

I'd advise you nip into John Lewis and compare the seats. The Lunafix is slightly more expensive however you can mitigate this a little by purchasing online.

We're now at the stage of looking for the next seat and are leaning towards one of the Cybex Pallas models.

Sorry I should've said the Lunafix comes with pram seat adaptors so will allow you to transfer to the pram for the odd occassion you have this need. Its also isofix.

I'd also suggest you buy a protector for your seats, it will prevent indentation to the leather on the base and also to the rear back rest when you gvie your little one shoes. We bough a Diono Ultra Mat which fits an F10 well.

Last edited by gtthree; 04-19-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-20-2018, 12:39 AM   #21
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Congrats on the impending arrival, really does change your view on life - in a good way.

There are so many options these days and I suspect any ISOFIX seat is good. We went for a 0-group 1+ seat which also rotates for easy loading/off loading. Also reclines and tilts up as needed.

Our daughter has been in it since she was a newborn and now 2, intheroy she will be in it till 4 .

http://cybex-online.com/gb/carseats/sirona.html
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      04-20-2018, 02:02 AM   #22
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Do you have split folding rear seats with the isofix connectors housed behind plastic covers? Or are your isofix connectors recessed behind the seats?

Reason I ask is we have the venicci travel system and the isofix base won't go in my F30. Unlike the maxi cosy bases, it has really chunky clips for the isofix that catch on the rear seatbelt holders and won't engage with the fixings on the car.

It fits fine in my wife's Golf (isofix visible behind plastic covers) and when I posted on here about a year ago I was told you should be ok if you have the split folding seats. Just do a test fit - I stupidly assumed isofix meant any isofix seat would be compatible with any isofix car!
Interesting, I had pretty much assumed the same up until now. Rear seats are fixed so just little stickers to show where the Isofix points are. I'll have to get down the shop and test the anchor points with the base!

Apart from the Isofix, how do you find the rest of the Venicci stuff?
Appreciate 0