E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Anyway to tell an FRM is going to fail?

05-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I've noticed within the past year I've been seeing a surplus of FRM failures, mostly FRM3. I always disclose to anyone's car I'm coding that the frm is at risk. Are there any ways to tell the frm is going to fail prior to coding or scanning? I assume I'll get answers of scanning frm prior to coding but scanning with ISTA can make an frm brick as well. The only thing I've seen that works is BMW Carly will show an frm fault error if trying to code a faulty frm. Below is from their website, any info on what they're doing and how to check the "boot sector"? I haven't found any info on how to check for a faulty frm, either you code and it fails or you notice frm failure symptoms before coding which is rare.

"Carly for BMW checks this boot sector (ONLY READING!) among other parameters within the FRM before coding. The app cannot write to this boot sector. This is also the reason why it is not possible to restore this boot sector with the app. The app only takes a look at this boot sector and decides afterwards if it is safe to continue coding this module."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:56 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
I've noticed within the past year I've been seeing a surplus of FRM failures, mostly FRM3. I always disclose to anyone's car I'm coding that the frm is at risk. Are there any ways to tell the frm is going to fail prior to coding or scanning? I assume I'll get answers of scanning frm prior to coding but scanning with ISTA can make an frm brick as well. The only thing I've seen that works is BMW Carly will show an frm fault error if trying to code a faulty frm. Below is from their website, any info on what they're doing and how to check the "boot sector"? I haven't found any info on how to check for a faulty frm, either you code and it fails or you notice frm failure symptoms before coding which is rare.

"Carly for BMW checks this boot sector (ONLY READING!) among other parameters within the FRM before coding. The app cannot write to this boot sector. This is also the reason why it is not possible to restore this boot sector with the app. The app only takes a look at this boot sector and decides afterwards if it is safe to continue coding this module."
There are some jobs in tool32 which can check the eeprom state. I forget the names but have a look.

But why worry? If FRM3 fails you just need to read the dflash, extract eeprom and write it back with xprog.
Appreciate 0