F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Could replacing resonator with straight pipes cause engine problem? any experience?
GetBMWParts

08-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
ryan1710
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xdrive

Could replacing resonator with straight pipes cause engine problem? any experience?

So I called BMW warranty division and asked if they will deny warranty work if I mod my DP, resonators, or muffler. Their answer was, they will have to find the failure is caused by certain mod to deny warranty work but most likely they are going to blame any non-OEM modifications to the vehicle.

So my question is, from experience or mechanical knowledge, will replacing two resonators with straight pipes cause a vehicle failure?

Thanks for help in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
SC_B5X
Built Motor F30 340i
Rep
Drives: Built Motor 2016 BMW 340i

I've had a resonator delete and Remus Axleback on my 340i for the last 7000 miles now. But I wouldn't recommend it. It gets a little raspy. I'm planning on putting a Vibrant Resonator on it to help with that. But as for mechanical issues, no. You wont have any issues.

I have a few exhaust clips on my instagram. @SC_B5X
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
ryan1710
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
I've had a resonator delete and Remus Axleback on my 340i for the last 7000 miles now. But I wouldn't recommend it. It gets a little raspy. I'm planning on putting a Vibrant Resonator on it to help with that. But as for mechanical issues, no. You wont have any issues.

I have a few exhaust clips on my instagram. @SC_B5X
I see. I still can't decide whether I should go with MPE because dealer wants $5600 for the entire system installed and ecu tune. Of course warranty will not be affected if I go this way.

Just checked your instagram and I liked the sound and flames! But to be honest, your set up is way overkill to me But thanks for answering tho!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

A resonator delete will void warranty on the exhaust (as you cut it up) but nothing else is at risk (well disclaimer nothing should be as less resistance should be positive to the turbo/engine but sometimes they argue against logic). Downpipe could create more problems as it has a more direct effect (still should be positive) but would not be street legal and just for that fact might cause problems - and the CEL will most probably be showing without tune unless a 200-400 HJS cat is used
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
ryan1710
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
A resonator delete will void warranty on the exhaust (as you cut it up) but nothing else is at risk
This is exact what I heard from BMW warranty guy lol. He was actually encouraging me to do the resonator delete since it will no harm to engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #6
SC_B5X
Built Motor F30 340i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1710 View Post
I see. I still can't decide whether I should go with MPE because dealer wants $5600 for the entire system installed and ecu tune. Of course warranty will not be affected if I go this way.

Just checked your instagram and I liked the sound and flames! But to be honest, your set up is way overkill to me But thanks for answering tho!
Haha thanks man. I'd recommend the full Remus Exhaust personally. It's less than half the price and sounds amazing. I really doubt the dealer can void your warranty for an exhaust, but I guess it depends on if your dealer is an ass. I worked at Century BMW in Greenville and we used to have FBO cars with JB4, MHD, etc come in and we would honor the warranty unless something extreme went wrong.

https://x-ph.com/remus-bmw-340i-exhaust/
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:16 PM   #7
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

It's hard to think of what an exhaust modification could void from a warranty perspective. Like if you had an issue with the stock exhaust flap rattling, maybe they could try to deny a warranty claim? I really can't think of anything that they could link to it but yes, technically anything exhaust related would be voided.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 01:33 AM   #8
ryan1710
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
Haha thanks man. I'd recommend the full Remus Exhaust personally. It's less than half the price and sounds amazing. I really doubt the dealer can void your warranty for an exhaust, but I guess it depends on if your dealer is an ass. I worked at Century BMW in Greenville and we used to have FBO cars with JB4, MHD, etc come in and we would honor the warranty unless something extreme went wrong.

https://x-ph.com/remus-bmw-340i-exhaust/
Yeah, I will probably go remus or dinan. I went to dealership and they had 240i with remus, sound was so good.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #9
ryan1710
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
It's hard to think of what an exhaust modification could void from a warranty perspective. Like if you had an issue with the stock exhaust flap rattling, maybe they could try to deny a warranty claim? I really can't think of anything that they could link to it but yes, technically anything exhaust related would be voided.
I also can't imagine what exhaust can do to our engines in harmful ways. I will probably get the new exhaust set up soon. Thanks!!
Appreciate 1
kern4174456.50
      08-24-2019, 04:21 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
I also can't imagine what exhaust can do to our engines in harmful ways. I will probably get the new exhaust set up soon. Thanks!!
Catless DP does effect the engine in a harmful way. The standard boost control is tuned with an exhaust restriction in place. You remove the restriction and you then have over boost spikes. Those are definitely not good for the engine. In fact you could have detonation as a result of those boost spikes that could lead to con rod bearing failure or piston land cracking.

The same can be said about turbo overspeed due to slow wastegate response on DP install.

The rest of the exhaust is safe to play with.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #11
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Catless DP does effect the engine in a harmful way. The standard boost control is tuned with an exhaust restriction in place. You remove the restriction and you then have over boost spikes. Those are definitely not good for the engine. In fact you could have detonation as a result of those boost spikes that could lead to con rod bearing failure or piston land cracking.

The same can be said about turbo overspeed due to slow wastegate response on DP install.

The best $100 you can spend on this car is having a muffler shop cut of the resonators. Skip the expensive overpriced mufflers and midpipes.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
ryan1710
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

Yea that's why I didn't want to touch DP or muffler at all. I just want to replace two resonators with straight pipe because the sound by removing two resonators is just perfect for me. Before I drove Focus RS with catless dp and AWS exhuast, it gave me a headache.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
ryan1710
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
The best $100 you can spend on this car is having a muffler shop cut of the resonators. Skip the expensive overpriced mufflers and midpipes.
I wish the price of cutting resonators is $100 up here too. Everything is almost doubled when you are in Canada lol. Got some quotes from local shops, they are asking around $300.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 04:20 AM   #14
SC_B5X
Built Motor F30 340i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
I wish I left my resonators in tbh. I'm buying a new resonator for it because mine got raspy with the axleback.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #15
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
No.
Appreciate 0