E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car tends to only start when hot

05-22-2020, 05:18 AM   #1
Scarfacexxx08
Rep
Drives: 330d

Car tends to only start when hot

My 07 e92 330d is having issues.

When i go to my car in the morning it'll just crank over, once I get back to it after work and the sun has been on it, it'll start. Ive plugged it in and code CED4 comes up, ive googled it and ive seen the fuel module mentioned so ive replaced that with the same thing happening. Anyone able to help? Ive not really been able to use it for a while and its doing my head in

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfacexxx08 View Post
My 07 e92 330d is having issues.
When i go to my car in the morning it'll just crank over, once I get back to it after work and the sun has been on it, it'll start. Ive plugged it in and code CED4 comes up, ive googled it and ive seen the fuel module mentioned so ive replaced that with the same thing happening...
The BMW Fault Code Lookup Definition for "CED4":
CED4 | No message (0xAA), receiver EKPS, transmitter DME-DDE

When there is a "message error" such as this, where one Module, here EKPS Fuel Pump Module, does NOT receive a message/ communication from another Module, here DDE, the FAULT is almost always in the SENDING Module (DDE), or the connections between DDE & EKPS.

I don't know anything about BMW Diesels, and I don't know what Engine or DDE your 330d has, but normally a "Crank/NO Fire/Start" Fault, particularly when it is only present at LOW ambient temp, is due to a wiring or DME/DDE Fault where the DME Relay or DDE Relay does NOT get activated due to a solder joint crack or pin/socket issue. Contact is made at the otherwise OPEN circuit when metal is heated & expands.

I would begin by tracing the proper DDE Power Supply circuit for YOUR vehicle, and testing to see if the DDE Relay activates when ambient temp is low. The best/quickest way to diagnose the issue is with INPA which can immediately read the voltage at ALL relays/ Terminals and tell you what is NOT getting voltage, or getting activated. If the DDE Relay were NOT getting activated, "Terminal 87" would have NO voltage, and a number of fuses and circuits necessary for powering glow plugs, injectors, and fuel pump (other than priming done by CAS) don't get power. CAS activates the Starter, but DDE does NOT power those components, so you get crank/no start. NOT the ONLY possible scenario, but most likely candidate to check first.

Here is an example DDE Power Supply circuit for M57 engine:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/h6DyiB0

If you will provide last 7 characters of your VIN, and/or Engine & Build Month/Year, we can provide specific info for YOUR situation. If you know someone who has INPA and knows how to use it, that would speed proper Diagnosis.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Scarfacexxx08
Rep

Thanks for the reply, the last 7 digits are PD50976 its a 2007 330D. Its currently taking about 6 attempts to start cold or warm but once started its fine, its as if there's no fuel getting to the car during those cranks (hence why I'm now thinking fuel pump) it drives fine with no hesitation mpg is healthy. Glow plugs, starter motor and battery are fine

Just thought I'd add that the times when its not starting you can hear the fuel pump whine
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfacexxx08 View Post
... last 7 digits are PD50976 its a 2007 330D. Its currently taking about 6 attempts to start cold or warm but once started its fine, its as if there's no fuel getting to the car during those cranks (hence why I'm now thinking fuel pump) [OR no injection of fuel from rail into cylinders by Injectors, OR no heating of Heater Plugs to ignite fuel that has been injected, OR Check Valve/ Pressure Regulator is allowing fuel pressure to be LOST quickly after shutdown, OR... ] it drives fine with no hesitation mpg is healthy. Glow plugs, starter motor and battery are fine. Just thought I'd add that the times when its not starting you can hear the fuel pump whine
Do I understand that your situation NOW is that it WILL Start, whether Cold or Hot (engine that is, NOT ambient temp) if you crank starter Long enough or enough times? Should NOT crank Starter longer than 10 seconds at once, allowing it to cool before repeating. Does your 330d have any provision for "Glow-plug" or "Heater Plug" Warmup or activation BEFORE the Starter is Cranked (like the Kubota tractor ;-)? Is cranking time decreased if you simply turn ignition ON for 10 to 15 seconds before Cranking Starter? If you turn engine off and then attempt restart in ~ 5 seconds, is cranking time NORMAL? How long after shutdown do you have to wait to restart BEFORE you begin to get "Long Cranks"?

Since you can hear fuel pump "whine" during cranking, AND it runs normally, even at speed and higher pump delivery rate, then I would try to identify things to test OTHER than the fuel pump. I suggested 3 things above that come to mind (Diesel-ignorant mind, mind-you ;-). If the situation has gotten progressively worse, where it is taking LONGER to start now, even shortly after shutdown, it MAY soon progress to the point of NOT starting at all, which means you can't drive it to a shop that has INPA/ISTA and knows how to use if on YOUR M57N2 Engine with whatever DDE that has.

I have NO experience with Diesel engines in ANYTHING other than a Kubota tractor, and very little there. There MAY be fault codes that narrow the search, but WITHOUT those I would basically test 3 things:
1) Fuel Rail Pressure, when Ignition is ON & before Cranking Starter; rail pressure "decay" or loss over time, after shutdown;
2) Fuel Injector Power supply & pulse/ "click" during cranking;
3) Preheating Control Unit Function to Activate Heater Plug in each cylinder.

Here are the TIS circuits for your 330d, related to those issues, DDE Supply, DDE circuits, and Preheater Control:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/hGG7sTK
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ronics/bWnPAlD
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/rAizEvx

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:13 AM   #5
Scarfacexxx08
Rep

Sorry for the late reply, I found the culprit of my issues. Turns out it was a blue fuel relay in by the ECU car starts and drives perfectly now. Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0