BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

02-16-2022, 12:04 PM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

What's the best luxury EV? BMW iX vs Mercedes-Benz EQS (Autocar)

Autocar take a look at which is the most luxury EV

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7838.00
      02-16-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

why does the EQS look like an 8th or 9th generation Honda Civic?

I guess to maximize aero...
AlexFL7838.00
      02-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #3
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
why does the EQS look like an 8th or 9th generation Honda Civic?

I guess to maximize aero...
Totally agree with you. Watched a detailed review of the EQE last night and, like the EQS, it's just plain downmarket looking. Like a 2000's era mid-size Japanese sedan. Personally I really dislike the direction MB is taking with their EQ lineup...
      02-16-2022, 04:48 PM   #4
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Totally agree with you. Watched a detailed review of the EQE last night and, like the EQS, it's just plain downmarket looking. Like a 2000's era mid-size Japanese sedan. Personally I really dislike the direction MB is taking with their EQ lineup...
Agreed. They're probably trying to copy Tesla a bit too much which themselves look like mid 2000s Ford Mondeos. The EQS has a distinctive French look to me. It looks a lot like a Renault Clio in the thumbnail shot. Of course, I hated the IX look at first too so maybe the Mercedes will grow on me. The interior is nice though, apart from the pillows, if a bit dated.

Edit: The reviewer is complaining that you have to go into the touch screen menus to turn the lane keeping assistant on. That's wrong though right? You can just push the assist button on the steering wheel. I tried that feature out today in my test drive.

Last edited by PhilD; 02-16-2022 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7838.00
      02-16-2022, 05:02 PM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Agreed. They're probably trying to copy Tesla a bit too much which themselves look like mid 2000s Ford Mondeos. The EQS has a distinctive French look to me. It looks a lot like a Renault Clio in the thumbnail shot. Of course, I hated the IX look at first too so maybe the Mercedes will grow on me. The interior is nice though, apart from the pillows, if a bit dated.

Edit: The reviewer is complaining that you have to go into the touch screen menus to turn the lane keeping assistant on. That's wrong though right? You can just push the assist button on the steering wheel. I tried that feature out today in my test drive.
Yeah you can cycle through the options on the steering wheel button I think. But another point that annoys me with most of these reviews and the complaints about buttons/lack of buttons: BMW have said that the intelligent assistant can do pretty much anything in the car now (to be tested, for sure). I for one am used to asking my smart speakers and siri for stuff all the time so it's not a big leap for me to say "hey BMW, turn on seat heaters"...
      02-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #6
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Yeah you can cycle through the options on the steering wheel button I think. But another point that annoys me with most of these reviews and the complaints about buttons/lack of buttons: BMW have said that the intelligent assistant can do pretty much anything in the car now (to be tested, for sure). I for one am used to asking my smart speakers and siri for stuff all the time so it's not a big leap for me to say "hey BMW, turn on seat heaters"...
Even if the assistant works perfectly, having to say "hey bmw, turn on my heated seat on level 2" will never be as good as quickly double pressing a physical button that has 3 tiny LEDs on it to show you the current setting. It maybe looks cooler when you show it off a few times, but that button is a much better user interface and experience and is much quicker to execute.

Right now in my 2019 X5, the voice commands are far from perfect; no reason to expect that they will work perfectly in the iX.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 08:05 PM   #7
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Even if the assistant works perfectly, having to say "hey bmw, turn on my heated seat on level 2" will never be as good as quickly double pressing a physical button that has 3 tiny LEDs on it to show you the current setting. It maybe looks cooler when you show it off a few times, but that button is a much better user interface and experience and is much quicker to execute.

Right now in my 2019 X5, the voice commands are far from perfect; no reason to expect that they will work perfectly in the iX.
Fair call, but having driven the iX twice now I can comment that the voice command did not fail to perform as expected even once. Compared to the e-tron, EQC and i-Pace it's lightyears ahead.
      02-16-2022, 08:20 PM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
The good news is the continuing evolution of assisted (Level 2) driving and voice commands as automakers progressively use a touchscreen interface for car functions. Ultimately this allows the driver to make adjustments - more - safely when driving while fractionally removing their attention from the road. We still did this with the old, conventional buttons - many times you needed to look down or away from the road to find a button - we just adapted to, sort of, keep half an eye looking forward while glancing down or sideways to find the button. We also accommodated to "feel," getting familiar with where everything was located in a car so we could find a button in relation to something else by touch, but not all buttons allowed this. I particularly like BMW's implementation of the pop-ups to identify the Quick Set buttons on the iDrive screen when you touch them, so you can kind of "feel across the row" to identify what you want. But you still need to momentarily take your eyes off the road to look at a screen, just like with the Nav (here the HUD is worth its weight), or even briefly glancing at the instrument cluster - when you are looking at your gas gauge, you are not looking at the road. We all did, and do this, balancing taking our eyes directly from the road in front to look at something in the car for fractions of a second. The key is that "fractions," and where the something we are looking at is physically located. Good ergonomics is important - Audi elected for a touchscreen interface (replaced somewhat by physical buttons), but placed the screens basically at knee level, requiring the driver to look down, a long way from the front view.

I don't particularly care if a control button is virtual or real, as long as it's in my driving vision and I know where to find it. The fact that the car will keep me in my lane for the 0.25 seconds it takes me to push it, or allows me to tell the car "activate '"x" feature, it is a positive development in the evolution of cars, and it's becoming better with each generation.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 10:17 PM   #9
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow, I’m impressed that they found the ride quality to be better in the iX. That is a truly impressive achievement for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 10:22 PM   #10
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Wow, I’m impressed that they found the ride quality to be better in the iX. That is a truly impressive achievement for BMW.
and on the optional 22” wheels no less!
AlexFL7838.00
      02-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I saw an EQS on the street yesterday...the first one I have seen in the wild. I think the outside actually looks pretty good. But the rest.......nah.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 09:58 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
The EQS580 is an amazing car. I took delivery on Tuesday. Best car I have owned. You can see my signature for the kind of cars I have owned previously.

It also looks pretty amazing. The car is very long, wide and low. Gives it a modern sleek look. I took my wife out to Atlas at the St Regis last night. As I was walking in I notice other patrons taking their photos with my car before the valet drove it away.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 07:06 AM   #13
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The EQS580 is an amazing car. I took delivery on Tuesday. Best car I have owned. You can see my signature for the kind of cars I have owned previously.

It also looks pretty amazing. The car is very long, wide and low. Gives it a modern sleek look. I took my wife out to Atlas at the St Regis last night. As I was walking in I notice other patrons taking their photos with my car before the valet drove it away.
Congrats on finally taking delivery of your EQS 580. I've read many of your post over on the MB forum. It just so happens that me and a friend visited our local dealership yesterday to sit in an EQS 580 they have in the showroom. The hyperscreen is impressive but overall I felt the interior was a bit cramped compared to the S Class. It sits a little low in the roofline especially in the rear seats. Myself and my friend both found that our heads were touching the headliner while sitting normally in the backseat. Legroom is spacious, no problem there. They had an S 580 and the backseat headroom is better in that design. Of course it depends on who you will be hauling around in that backseat. It may not be an issue for a lot of buyers. But overall, it is a very beautiful car with lots of impressive technology. Too bad our MB dealer is asking $50,000 over MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:32 AM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Between the two, I would go for the IX but with a black exterior (better to hide the grille said the wolf). But I am also eyeing a Lucid Air.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 02:17 AM   #15
NiallG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive40 Sport

Not really a 'vs' thing, isn't the EQS about twice the price of the iX? Also EQS isn't a SUV so there's that too. Love all the screens in the EQS though - that's pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 02:38 PM   #16
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

MB will never be on my shopping list for one simple reason. My wife went to graduate school in Berlin and now can't look at any Mercedes without thinking "taxi".
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 02:41 PM   #17
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallG View Post
Not really a 'vs' thing, isn't the EQS about twice the price of the iX?
iX starts at low-mid $80's, EQS is just above $100k.
      03-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #18
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallG View Post
Love all the screens in the EQS though - that's pretty sweet.
Even though the screens look cool, especially if you want to impress your friends, but functionally, I think BMW with the iDrive controller is easier to use. Sometimes, I prefer using the controller rather than the touch screen. And less finger prints too
Appreciate 0